July 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Little Quirky Can Be a Great Thing on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 7th 2011 12:59AM
Ricky Jaime & Ryan Ramirez, 'So You Think You Can Dance'It was another night of unforgettable performances as the Top 14 dancers took to the stage on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (Wed., 8PM ET on FOX). This time, joining Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy on the judging panel, were Carmen Electra and Travis Wall.

Electra detailed her own extensive background in dance, so we wouldn't think she was just a pretty face, while 'SYTYCD' fans know Wall as the runner-up in Season 2. Since Season 5 he's become a staple in the roster of choreographers turning in brilliant performances, so it was an exciting evolution to see him judging the show.

Always a favorite of the judges, Ryan Ramirez impressed yet again in a "quirky" jazz routine with partner Ricky Jaime.

"Holy smokes!" Murphy said of Ramirez's performance. "Talk about somebody that went deep in character." And this was a downright bizarre character to immerse yourself in, creating one of the more memorable routines of the night.

Do you think Ryan and Ricky are one of the couples to beat?

freemont88

Ryan and Ricky are truly beautiful to watch, I don't understand why they keep dancing for survival at the bottom three!!!!

July 07 2011 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Starky

I fail to understand the fawning by the judges over Ryan's dancing. She is, at best, clumsy, mediocre, and not nearly so good as the other female dancers. Mia prodigy or not, she needs to go home.

July 07 2011 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
woodbutcher

There goes a minute of my life that I'll never get back.

July 07 2011 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gammy

In my opinion, it was a very boring night for SYTYCD. I am a huge fan of the show but I found only about three numbers worth watching. The last couple was AWESOME! (The voice of Mary Murphy is is worse than fingernails scratching a chalkboard.)

July 07 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gammy's comment
Tricilla

yeah, my favorite show but my mind kept drifting from the show cuz I thought it was kinda boring last night too. I get bored when the judges go on and on too much too. When there are four judges, just get to the point.

July 07 2011 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzzeeque1

Ryan has been given multiple advantages over the other dancers (passed on to next level because judges "know she is good enough"). I couldn't figure out what the judges saw in her. Now I find out she is the protege of one of the previous judges, and has already been on TV shows and the like. She is not as good as some of the others, and stole their spots.

July 07 2011 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to suzzeeque1's comment
elaine1972

I agree, Ryan is not all that..didn't the judges see her stumble coming out of her spin? She is Mia Michaels new pet project just like Travis was. Nepotism anyone? Ryan is a good dancer but she looks like an oversized colt trying to find her legs compared to some of the other girls. She is the token blond and Nigel loves his blondes ;P. I hope she gets voted off tonight because the judges need to see that America is sick of hearing the judges effuse over their pet projects. Travis should stick to choreography and stop trying to be Mia's mini me. Also, I am sick of the repetitve 'love stories'. I wish the choreographers would do more like the "Gravity" choreo or the cancer focused dance. The only choreographers who do love stories well are nappytabs. Bring back meaningful dances, bollywood, and funny stories:)

July 07 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gibson Family

You said it was a great night for the top 14 dancers. Soooo, where is the recap of those dances? Why do we just get a single video and a paragraph about the new judges? I hate this new format. I want the recaps back. I want to read the comments on the dances. I used to come to this sight to share the show and hear what everyone thought of those dances. Bring back our recaps. Not only to this show but the others shows that we love. No one comments anymore because there is nothing to comment on. Very disappointed.

July 07 2011 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply