October 24, 2014

Will Susan Lucci Stay With 'All My Children'?

by Chris Harnick, posted Jul 13th 2011 11:05AM
Susan LucciNow that 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are safe, the real waiting game begins: Who's staying and who's going?

While the New York Post's initial report about ABC selling the rights of the two soaps to Prospect Park stated Susan Lucci was staying with 'All My Children,' that's still up in the air. Actors have yet to enter in negotiations with the new boss.

"I know Susan thinks it's great news for the fans that it seems a deal is in the works so that 'AMC' can continue. I don't have any information at this point on Susan's upcoming plans," Lucci's representative told FOX411.com.

However, TV Guide reports La Lucci has signed to move online with the series, but in an undetermined capacity. Could 'AMC' last online with only a weekly dose of Erica Kane? Would viewers stick around if Lucci leaves?

If Lucci decides to leave, it's safe to say she'll have no problem getting other work. Rumors had her being eyed for a role on 'Desperate Housewives' and she's appeared on 'Hot in Cleveland' more than once.

The same TV Guide report says 'AMC' creator Agnes Nixon and head writer Lorraine Broderick have been working to wrap up storylines ... but that was when the ABC finale was going to the series finale. Major rewrites might be in order to encourage fans to go online.

'All My Children' could start its new online tenure as soon as Sept. 26, the first day 'The Chew' takes over its ABC timeslot.

Tell us: Will you watch 'All My Children' without Susan Lucci?

Author IlleanaV

Illy
What can I say, it is the first day without All My Children. I will not watch another show about food because I do watch my favorites. At any rate, I hope that they will be on line as they have promised.

September 26 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pam

It will be a HUGE disappoint to fans if the writers do not make a meaningful closure to this wonderful show on TV.
To tease us and leave us with a loose ending (so they can coerce into watching online) would be immoral!
Is it really all about money.....or can it sometimes be about integrity and rewarding the fans with meaningful
closure. Please end it in a special way that it deserves!

July 23 2011 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
molandmom

What destroyed the show is Ryan. If you would cut him out, the rest of the crew would do their thing, no matter how you line them up. Erica was good in her younger years, now the latest with the double role is really not good writing.
I am watching this show for many years. Thank you for finding a way to stay alive.

July 21 2011 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lockhouseent

I am so happy that it is going to stay on even if it is online. I think that the true fans will follow. I know I definately will. I am hoping that most if not all of the currant cast will stay on because being a huge AMC fan, I love all of them & look forward to watching it everyday. I've watched this show for over 30 yrs & have so many memories of being a child & watching it with my mom. I am so thankful that this other company picked it up :)

July 16 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jjkk220

My main soap now is One Life To Live, but I will definitely follow AMC online with or without Susan Lucci. It would be better if she stayed, sure, but I and other fans worked too hard to save these soaps to NOT watch. And I agree with other commenters---I STILL will NOT be watching anything on ABC. The soaps should have STAYED right where they were and nothing at this point will ever take away the sting of the soaps and their fans being treated so abysmally. Get used to lower ratings ABC. A bad taste in someone's mouth can last for a LONG time.

July 14 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jjkk220's comment
hudanlan

Longtime, cutting edge, captivated young viewers from day 1 w/many still watching, AMC, OLTL led way in face of all soaps being overhauled from 1940 ideals to a much fresher look that fit social changes in the late 1960's & early 1970's. That is what OLTL & AMC, under the skills of Agnes Nixon accomplished.

But now bombard viewers with "whats wrong with you & how you should fix it" or "this is how you as an individual should think & what you should eat" shows. Soaps are like reading a romance novel, a break from the real world, now replaced with reality influenced type programming, take out AMC/OLTL, add to current programs like The View, Dr Oz, etc newbies like The Chew & Anderson Cooper.

If I wanted to watch these type shows all day, I'd turn on CNN or PBS. Disney owns ABC, does Disney realize that TV Fantasy Land (ABC soaps) has their missing Village Idiot running things?

July 14 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
prov17v17

The real question is Who the hell will watch The Chew??!! I pray ABC daytime sinks and burns!!!

July 13 2011 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

I'll watch, regardless. But what I won't be watching is any more ABC TV. I even going to give up watching Grey's. If I do that before Patrick Dempsey leaves, it won't bother me as much. I can always buy the DVD of the last season with him in it later, but I am sick, sick sick of the crud abc pulls. Just today saw an ad for 'the chew' or whatever it is, the food show. Looked boring.

July 13 2011 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scrapindee

I have watched AMC since the first show on the air. And GH for at least most of my life. There is no way I will watch what ABC is putting on the air to replace AMC, OLTL or GH. I hope that the soaps will continue with their "stars" when they go their new producers. I will watch on my ipad or on my computer wherever the soaps may go as these two shows deserve to live on for the next generation to come.

July 13 2011 at 10:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hudanlan

When standard format was 30min, there was a daily soap-a-thon on every major network, when shows started to move towards 1hr programming, wasn't enough room on the afternoon schedule's & some of the longest running (from radio days) saw the ax fall. The single reason for ABC (or NBC,CBS) cancellation of any soap is high production costs vs low ratings = fewer advertising $$.
Doubt Prospect Park will be any different in having to slash budgets in their attempt at producing & showing AMC & OLTL, there maybe many of the longtime & much higher paid (Lucci, Slezak, etc) that won't be able to agree on new contracts. I hope not, but bottom line is Prospect Park is a business with eye on the bottom line.

Funny thing about 30min vs 60min broadcasts, last couple Emmy's for Best Show went to the only 30min soap on TV, The Bold & Beautiful. Smaller operating budgets, smaller casts, don't mean lack of quality show Maybe ABC should've tried a different approach before pulling the plug. Wonder how the folks at Gen.Hospital are feeling & wondering if they're next?

July 13 2011 at 8:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Trish

I've been watching AMC for the past 40 years and Erica (Susan Lucci) has been and is the main character. What would AMC be without the coniving and poor misunderstood vixen? I might watch occasionally but it just wouldn't be the same without her!

July 13 2011 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply