December 18, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jesse Tyler Ferguson Cracks Up The Top 12 As a Judge on 'SYTYCD' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 14th 2011 3:08AM
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, 'So You Think You Can Dance'It was a packed night, and a night of sadness, as the Top 12 took to the stage for the last time with their partners on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (Wed., 8PM ET on FOX). It was a critical time in the show, as next week the Top 10 are paired up with 'SYTYCD' All-Stars, and it's the Top 10 that goes on tour.

So to help alleviate the stress, Jesse Tyler Ferguson ('Modern Family') joined the panel. He does have a background in stage and dance, but he proved to be mostly there for comic relief. His off-the-cuff comments kept everyone light and in stitches.

The biggest laughs came when he abruptly suggested that Clarice should marry him. This after a beautiful lyrical hip-hop routine she performed with her partner Jess.

"It's not gonna be a happy marriage; I'm very difficult to be with," he conceded. "But I need you in my life to make me happy. You are such a light."

There were plenty of rave reviews throughout the night, as the dancers gave it their all in some memorable performances. Like in past seasons, we even have new named dances. When a dance gets a name like The Bench or The Door, it's a sign that it really touched and moved people.

Tonight, Jordan and Tadd gave us The Hungry Vulture, and Melanie and Marko danced The Moth (or The Light Bulb). Sasha and Alexander were both so strong in a double-lead Paso Doble, and then again on The Lamp Post jazz piece, so they should be fine.

Other performances didn't resonate as strongly, which could spell disaster for the Top 10 dreams of a few couples. We thought Ryan and Ricky had a particularly off night, and they've not really connected with the voting public in past weeks. Their Broadway "movie poster" piece was lacking something, and then we saw them working too hard in their cha-cha.

We're also a little worried about Caitlynn and Mitchell this week. We don't think their hip-hop piece was strong enough, and the message seemed muddled at best, but we thought they came back much stronger on Travis Wall's '70s rock and roll number.

Who do you think is in danger of missing the Top 10 this week?

Duncan

I get a little tired of dancers not quite being up to par as Nigel says and then not criticizing the choreographers for not challenging or making the dancers use all their potential, such as Ryan and her partner, first dance! But if a dance is done well the choreographers get half the credit... Nigel isn't the only one guilty of this, of course. If you are going to praise the choreographer for a dancers successful routine, then they should share some of the blame when a couple just doesn't quite measure up!

July 14 2011 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tigerladdy

I hope Ryan picks a contemporary dance soon. I think she is an amazing dancer and just haven't been having any luck picking what she does best. Good luck Ryan, I am in your corner.

July 14 2011 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ftlauderdalelady

As an ex-ballet dancer, I have loved watching this show. The magnitude of talent gets greater with each season. I loved last season when they had the "seasoned" dancers mix with the "newbies". I know this will happen on this season's show once the number of contestants gets down more. Here's what I don't understand................

Having these "guest judges" who should not be on the show. Is SYTYCD now trying to upstart careers like other shows? I miss having Mia Michaels, etc. sitting up there giving wonderful critiques to the dancers. The dancers deserve that and not some half-assed response because the celebrity judge doesn't know what he or she is watching!

July 14 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rgburrill

Sorry but Jesse Tyler Ferguson seemed to make several contestants very uncomfortable with his "flirting".

July 14 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmkiaski

He was an entertaining judge but also made astute but kind comments - not that kindness was something they needed a lot of, they were almost all very good, and those that weren't needed to know what they're projecting/not. Two competitive routines learned in one week - wow - and the personalities, confidence and styles of most dancers have come so far. I still have my favorite couple - Marko and Melanie - who make magic seem normal, but others also make magic at times and some have grown a lot. To see them learn to work with a partner well i.e. not just partner them but become a real couple expressing something rather than just competing, well - it is magic. Now they know what can be done, and whether they can do it. Some of them definitely can.

July 14 2011 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
U.S.I.A.

I'm with ump495
tv is horrible anymore. i cant beleive people watch the garbage that is put in front of them. then again, i guess its a reflection of our society as it actually is. and that is the real shame of it all. i really beleive the devil himself is walking the earth. not the country i grew up in. nope, far from it. it was a good ride while it lasted but folks its coming to an end real soon. darn shame...god bless what was once a great nation...goodbye...............................

He has said it all.

July 14 2011 at 10:19 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to U.S.I.A.'s comment
kmkiaski

How sad for you. There were some beautiful, excellent pieces on last night's show. Others that wer well done, yes, but I didn't like as much - more what the choreographer chose than what the dancers did. I was happy to see the choreographers who actually made the best use of their dancers' talents and personalities, because that is where the amazing work on this show comes from. Anyone can dance anything, but to use them and teach them to make the most of the dance and express themselves is magic. Witness the last dance with Marko and Melanie, my personal favorites - but there are others I like who've come far. And others I don't particularly care for, despite the fact they can dance.... they just don't have that magic, or maybe no class. Not gonna name names, but I'm sure they will not outshine the ones who really can bring beauty and expression to a piece.

July 14 2011 at 11:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bsonicsoul

Sounds like he is confused which way to go.

July 14 2011 at 10:07 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Bob Davis

Were they dancing to the same music I was hearing??

July 14 2011 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
urbanamechanic

They should ban marriage in Hollywood, 90 percent divorse rate

July 14 2011 at 9:35 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to urbanamechanic's comment
kmkiaski

Keeps the lawyers busy.

July 14 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tami Vantreese-Urso

Glad I dont have cable, not worth the money w/ all this junk on it. I have my computer & thats good enough for me.

July 14 2011 at 9:33 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply