October 21, 2014

Married to the Mob? Jason Proposes to Sam on 'General Hospital'

by Michael Maloney, posted Jul 20th 2011 11:00AM
Steve Burton and Kelly MonacoHe's had unsuccessful marriages to Courtney and Brenda, but the third time may be the charm for Jason (Steve Burton) on 'General Hospital.'

The hunky mobster is going to put on his best black t-shirt and propose to long-time girlfriend Sam this week.

In the past, the couple's agreed to keep things the way they are given their adventurous lifestyles -- he's a mobster and she's a private eye. Thanks to some prodding from Maxie and, of course, some deep reflection on the potential groom's part, Jason appears ready to take the plunge. Tune in on Thursday to see if marriage-shy Sam will accept the proposal or shoot him down. (Figuratively speaking, of course!)

'GH' fans can count on seeing Jason interact with more of his semi-estranged Quartermaine family members even if Sam says no. New head writer Garin Wolf is a big fan of the show's history, and Burton shares that he's spending more screen-time with the fan-favorite clan.

The actor shares with AOL TV his thoughts on why marriage between Jason and Sam may actually work, if the door is forever closed on Jason and Liz and why anyone who's been away from 'GH' should consider tuning back in.

Jason has tried the marriage thing before ...
Yes. He was married to Courtney and Brenda. Both were short-lived. From a story standpoint, [marriage to Courtney] domesticated Jason. That's never a good thing. Plus, she started beating up more people than he did. I used to call her "Kung Fu Courtney." Brenda was just a legality so this would be kind of Jason's first real wedding.

Why is Sam a good match for Jason?
She doesn't expect Jason to be anyone other than who he is. She gets the highs and lows and she understands that Jason may not come back the next day. It works.

What about kids?
I'm sure that will be the next obstacle. If they get married and are happy for a little while they'll approach the subject of kids again. It's a tough one because of what happened with Jake. [Note: Jason's toddler son with Elizabeth was killed in a hit and run earlier this year.] It was an accident. Jason didn't want to be a part of his son's life because of the mob. Also, there are kids like Michael whom Jason's pretty much raised and he's seen what the "business" did to him.

Is Jake's death a catalyst for Jason re-thinking marriage?
I think it's made him live more in the now. In general, people tend to live for the future. They don't appreciate what they have now. It's made him look at life in that way. Jason wants to get married to Sam. Whether she needs it or not, he wants to show her that he wants to.

Will marriage make Sam and Jason's relationship not work as well as it does now?
Good question. I think Sam's the one who has issues with getting married. She spent her whole life doing cons. Marriage meant nothing to her. This is going to be different. Maybe she'll feel different?

Will there be a big wedding in today's budget-conscious times?
I don't know. Knowing them, they wouldn't want a big wedding, but Sam has family and sisters. Jason may not want a big wedding, but sometimes you just go for the big wedding. [Laughs] If I had it to do over again [in real-life] I would have just gone to Hawaii.

How does proposing in real-life compare to doing it on-screen?
Let's just say I was a lot more nervous in real-life, buddy! My poor wife! That whole day she was saying, "What's wrong with you?" I had so much nervous anxiety. I picked her up, we had a picnic on the beach and I had a plane fly by. She was like. "What's going on?" I was looking for the plane. The banner on the plane said, "Will you marry me?" She said yes.

There's still a big fan base out there for Jason and Elizabeth. Would marriage to Sam close the door on that?
I know I have fans who support both pairings. What the fans don't understand always is that I don't write the show. I can't choose who Jason's with. I play each story the best I can. Garin [Wolf, our new head writer] was on the set the other day for the first time, introducing himself. He said to me, "Hey, man, we've got all this stuff planned for you. Do you know what it is?" I said no. He said, "Do you want to know?" I said no. I read my scripts the night before I shoot my scenes. That's what I do. A few years back I'd get more involved. Now, I come to work. I do my job. We're all happy to have a job, and we're rolling with it.

How's it going with Garin?
I know people gave Bob Guza [our former head writer] a hard time. He wrote great story and he gave me the opportunity of a lifetime by changing my character. I'll be forever grateful to him. I miss him. I personally believe that Bob was tired. The difference between Bob and Garin in their writing styles is that Bob likes to do big events. We'd have cool shootouts and stunts and emotional fallout from those events. Now that we've been constricted by budgets, you're going to get a lot of two people scenes in one set.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that.
No. Absolutely not. It's relationship-based. What I see with Garin and what I like is that he's using everybody on the canvas. I've always been an advocate of the Quartermaines and of seeing everyone be used. Tell story and it will all be good. I think we're headed in that direction. Garin's a great guy and a good writer. He's using a lot more people. Jason's had scenes with Monica and Edward -- I feel an old spark coming back.

So if you've been away from 'GH' now is a good time to come back?
Yeah, because you're going to see everything get shaken up and you're going to see faces that you've wanted to see and haven't for a while.

Do you think Jason and Sam belong together? Sound off in the comments.

HeyXmasLady

Quartermaines are so ridiculous that it's comical...need to get them "up to par" w/rest of characters or write them out.

July 23 2011 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HeyXmasLady

And PLEASE don't put Elizabeth back with Jason...she's so gross !!!
Also...better find the money for continued shoot-outs, train wrecks, bombings, etc...!!!!!

July 23 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HeyXmasLady

Well Yeah, Sam & Jason belong together & I'm tired of waiting for it !!! Enough already !!! AND...their engagement was NOT as awesome as it should have been...better get the wedding right or you're going to lose viewers !!!

July 23 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lyndagruber

Type your comment here Yes they belong together. They know each other so well that they don't need words to know what the other is thinking. Sam and Jason accept one another and don't try to change the other. They love each other unconditionally. Sam's not afraid of him or his life and she stands by him regardless of what it is and Jason needs a strong women willing to do that. As a couple Jason and Sam have been through so much and they've come through much more in love and stronger than ever. I don't know any other couple who has endured the same obstacles and come out more in love than ever. Go JaSam

July 21 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Roberts

I believe they do belong together; both are morally bankrupt and reprehensible characters. I fail to see the chemistry between the pairing-they've talked everything to death, or at least to the point of 'just do it already and get it over with, geesh." GH has been a poorly written soap for the past few years and I don't see anything changing. It's too bad that idiot Frons didn't save OLTL instead of this crap.

July 21 2011 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claudia Delcampo

definitely jason and sam belong together. they are each others soul mates. they understand and support each other through the good the bad and everything in between. they have surpassed every obstacle imaginable and have come out stronger on the other side. marriage and a family is the next step in their love story and i can't wait because i know they can get through anything together they have done so before. it's time to see them take the next step and be happy. i hope they get married and have the family they have dream of together they deserve it. the actors chemistry is one of the best i have seen around and they can pull anything off. can't wait to see jason and sam in the capacity of husband and wife and hopefully father and mother to a jasam baby.

July 21 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ccasy23

Yes! Jason and Sam do belong together. Liz and Jason shared a child and that was there only connection. That's gone. Jiz is never coming back. Thank god because it sucked. JaSam and LnL2 are meant to be together. Sam accepts Jason for who he is, and Jason accepts Sam for who she is. She never tried to change him. That's what unconditional love is. LuSam was cute but would have neve worked out because Lucky couldn't accept Sam the way she is. He wanted her to be Elizabeth minus his children of course and Sam wasn't going to do that. Lucky loved Liz that whole time anyway. Jason and Sam never stopped lovin each other even through the aner and hatred. Jason and Sam are meant to be. :)

July 21 2011 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Miller

Absolutely Jason and Sam belong together! There is so much story to be told with these two. And their chemistry is off the charts. I can't wait until they actually get married. Fans have waited seven years for this. They are perfect for each other and perfect together. Thanks for the article.

July 21 2011 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pamhedstr

If your are a jasam fan I'm sure hearing SBu blather about their 'romance' is delightful. Here's a clue for you Steve we are ALL aware you don't write the show hence the complaints about your BFF Guza and his subsequent firing.
IMO you should have left the show two years ago because even you seem to say you are phoning it in. If I were a fan of yours I'd be p.o.'d to hear you were no longer involved in your character and the development of it on screen. (jobs and the economy aside)
Truthfully since the pairing of Elizabeth & Jason went down the tubes you have no real chemistry with anyone other than MB, that's when you seem most comfortable.
All that said I will be semi happy to see the Q's back on screen. Oh and yes Sam was/is a con woman but she is much more than that she is also a woman who did her level best to get rid of your child first by aiding & abetting a kidnapping and then by have gunmen attack him and his mother in at the infamous "moment of weakness' and the worst part of all that isn't what she did, that was horrendous; but it's that your character is now sleeping with her and contemplating marriage, children and a happily ever after--that Steve is why GH always gets ratings of 1.5-1.7 when you and she are on screen.

July 21 2011 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jynx0854

I have watched GH for 40 yrs and loved Garin's writng during the strike. So I'm grateful he is back. My all time soap couple is Liz, Jason, Cam and Jake. I would like and hope it will return to that . I don't mind KM but I believe Sam is a dark character she is a Cassidine you know. I can't watch any of their stuff. I keep trying to and I even am disliking Jason for the first time. He just acts stupid with these lines. I've been a fan of Steve's since he started on GH and I support all his endeavors. But I just don't like what the show has done. I also am looking for some vets coming back due to bad writing in the past almost 3 years. I dont' want to see another Liz and Lucky. I'm just waiting for Garin's stuff at this point and till after this wedding mess.

July 21 2011 at 10:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply