December 22, 2014

NBC Cancels 'Love Bites'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jul 20th 2011 6:00AM
'Love Bites'It's been reported that NBC has officially pulled the plug on its romantic anthology series, 'Love Bites.' The final episode of nine will air Thursday night.

The hotly anticipated series was plagued by production difficulties and casting issues and never really caught fire with viewers.

Originally scheduled to launch last fall, NBC eventuallly debuted it as a summer series, and ratings struggled from the beginning.

'Love Bites' was created by 'Sex and the City' writer Cindy Chupack, who stepped down as showrunner to a consulting producer position during production.

It was executive-produced for NBC by heavy hitters Eric Fellner ('The Tudors,' 'Frost/Nixon'), Marc Buckland ('My Name Is Earl'), Tracy Poust and Jon Kinnally ('Will & Grace').

There were ominous signs for 'Love Bites' back in December when NBC cut the series order from 13 to nine episodes after star Becki Newton ('Ugly Betty') announced her pregnancy and Chupack's departure as showrunner caused NBC to shift the series to midseason.

Co-star Jordana Spiro had already been forced to pull out in the summer due to her commitments on the since-canceled TBS comedy 'My Boys.'

Each week the hour-long anthology offered different segments about love, romance and couplehood, starring series regulars Becki Newton, Greg Grunberg and Constance Zimmer. It also featured several guest stars in its vignettes about love including Ken Jeong, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Cheryl Hines, Michelle Trachtenberg and Isaiah Mustafa.

Zimmer has already jumped ship to USA, where she's signed on for a possibly recurring role in 'Royal Pains' as Hank's love interest.

The 'Love Bites' Series Finale airs Thurs., July 21 at 10PM ET on NBC.

Franny!

I really loved this show! If they had given it a little more promo time and a little more time to catch on with the public, I really thought it would have taken off!

September 25 2011 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Super_Schultz

Damn NBC why is it whenever I like a show you kill it? I don't think you gave the show a chance at all. Now I'm afraid to invest in Friends with Benefits. What happens when it doesn't instantly have the numbers you like? Pulled?

September 10 2011 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jodilkon

That really bites...I loved this show. NBC did not give it a chance but they'll keep the lame ass shows on the air. That figures.

August 24 2011 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Never even heard of it. If I had I would have assumed vampires.

July 26 2011 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
be1be1

I liked it, figures it would get pulled

July 20 2011 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sethw2000

Who watches NBC?

July 20 2011 at 7:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sethw2000's comment
Anita

that too.

July 26 2011 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elaineen

The title is subject to several interpretations, mostly off putting.

July 20 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepetermedic

well thanks you for the great news ! now what silly show they going to put on

July 20 2011 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diannemiller55

i actually love this show. too bad.

July 20 2011 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me

I think I stopped by while flipping throughout the channels. Just another silly gUrly show.

July 20 2011 at 7:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply