November 27, 2014

Blush Slammed by Critics After Their US TV Debut on 'SYTYCD' (VIDEO)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jul 22nd 2011 6:50AM
BlushOh, the highs and lows of cracking the US TV and music markets. Last night girl group Blush -- themselves the product of a reality TV talent search -- made their US TV debut on 'So You Think You Can Dance,' a pretty major gig in anyone's book.

However, their performance of 'Undivided' featuring Snoop Dogg has been slated by critics. Hardly the reception the girls were looking for on their first outing.

'EW' referred to them as "Pussycat Dolls Lite," adding that "The obvious similarities were unfortunate, especially since their routine was even more mind-numbingly boring than Nicole Scherzinger's performance last week. ... Seriously, though, who did Snoop get high to get those girls on the show?"

'The Los Angeles Times' blasted the band's name -- "more 1981 than 2011" -- and said "their music was forgettable (despite a boost from Snoop Dogg) and their look and stage presence needs some work. (Less winking, to start.)"

Yahoo criticized the girls' "truly horrendous" vocals and scathingly noted that their dancing "wasn't even good, which is pretty important when performing on a show called 'So You Think You Can Dance.' ... If this performance were on 'America's Got Talent' all three Xs would have been lit up within a minute into the performance." Ouch.

Commenters on Twitter were just as forthright: "Wow, never thought I'd willingly want to hear Snoop Dog, but Blush was so bad I wanted him to keep going."

Billed as "The World's First Pan-Asian Girl Band," Blush is the product of 'Project Lotus,' a 'Making the Band'-type talent search in Asia. After being searched and auditioned from each of five representing countries -- India, China, Japan, Korea and Phillipines -- the successful contestants were put through an intensive girl band bootcamp in Asia and the US.

They've also worked with a number of heavy-hitting producers and writers including Eliot Kennedy (Spice Girls, S Club 7, Celine Dion), Shaznay Lewis (All Saints) and Una Healy (The Saturdays).

Do you think their performance was really that bad? Watch it here:

Jen Maters

lets give these girls a chance. i saw them when i was browsing for shows at tvhook and i say they are improving. who knows after some months they would be the next sensation.

July 22 2011 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deej Barens

Sounded very Eurovision to me, but the again I like Eurovision.

I have to give them props for singing live where most groups would just lip sync.

July 22 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Yes, yes I do.
I had to fast forward through it, and that was a tall order considering how attractive the ladies are.

Not good performers. Not good dancers. Their singing was as bad as anything I've ever seen on Reality TV, it was verging on the American Idol/AGT Trainwreck acts. I never thought I'd hear a girl group that made Danity Kane and The Pussycat Dolls and The Spice Girls seem good by comparison.

Sadly, these untalented girls will make far more money and gain far more fans than numerous superior groups.

July 22 2011 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steffie darling

god they are bad--- why did sytycd put them on in the first place

July 22 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pertusi

Oh yeah, they were bad; I couldn't stop watching because just when you thought it couldn't get any worse......LOL. The look on Cat's face as she was telling the audience where they could download the song for free was priceless.

July 22 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
N_Drew

It was so bad I fast forwarded through 90% of it. Didn't even bother to hit play when Snoop was clearly performing..

July 22 2011 at 10:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JessieLeah

As soon as they went off key, I changed the channel until they were over. They did suck...

July 22 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply