July 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Mike Tyson Reflects on His 'Same Name' Episode (VIDEO)

by Nick Zaino, posted Jul 22nd 2011 12:50PM
Mike Tyson talks about 'Same Name' on 'The Early Show'For the new CBS show 'Same Name,' famous boxer Mike Tyson switched places with a registered nurse from Michigan, also named Mike Tyson. 'The Early Show' (weekdays, 7AM on CBS) took a look at that particular episode and spoke with Tyson about his part on the show.

Michigan Mike found himself with a new haircut, stepping into the ring to spar a bit, while Punch Out Mike found himself measuring people's height as a nurse, reading to children in Michigan Mike's family, and strapping on skates for a game of hockey. He seemed to take everything with a healthy sense of humor.

Tyson told 'The Early Show' his participation is a sign of how he has changed. "The old Mike Tyson wouldn't want to really be seen with these people because they remind me too much of myself," he said. "Human beings have to be taught to be human beings. You know, and some people learn to be human beings faster than others. Some people catch on late, I'm catching on late." Better late than never, Iron Mike.

exther

I like the new Mike Tyson better. More personable but I'll tell ya, He got me mad when I was in college. Some friends & I scraped up 50 bucks to see the match on PPV against Marvis Frazier. I went to the kitchen to grab a round of beers and a bowl of chips and it was over before I got back. At least I got to see the replays.
Keep goin Mike!!! You're doing well

July 23 2011 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrdkapow

Right on the champ, Mike!

July 23 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
synzofheaven

Mike Tyson is the real life hero.

July 23 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adekolu3

I have always liked Mike. Now, I am even more impressed. It seems he reads alot. You cannot but notice that by the ways he puts his words together these days. I know there are lot of people who think he is a beast. I just hope that among other things, he's found happiness. I am praying and happy for him.

July 23 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RYAN

Its like mikes fighting never stops...maybe someday he will get to relax in his life...maybe someday he'll figure it out.....He still the best fighter I ever saw,loved watching him work..hang in there mike.

July 23 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MONSTERDEADHEAD

mike tyson.the best fighter .in his time.now it is nice to see he is still fighting.this time not to hurt anyone.but to help self and other.mike god is with you.keep up the good work.but never forget were you come from.

July 23 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Milton Davis Jr

It's good to see Mike make a come back. I think he is tragedy of his own success, but he is working to get it right. Good luck Iron Mike.

July 23 2011 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jabaileydc

It's nice to see that Mike has learned that, although he could run, he could not hide from the reality of life. When people incur fame and wealth, they need to remember where they came from, because, you meet the same people going down that you met on the way up. Fame doesn't last forever, but if it does, they you've been very lucky.

July 23 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ostellgriggs

what is punch out ? however i know what you were trying to say. that description was so uncalled for. it did not add anything to this story. i guess mike was right some people take longer to become a human being.

July 23 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ecc4929

Tyson was long misunderstood. My buddy worked directly with him and said on the good days Mike was the nicest person you would ever want to meet. He was always gracious and thankful for the product we gave him. But this is a man who never should have touched drugs or alcohol and who does need medication to control his darkest moods. This is also a remarkably intelligent and well read man.

Will never understand why people feel the need to post such nasty comments on the web about people they truly know so little about. Especially about people will substance issues. It is the last thing someone in such a position should hear. We saw today with Amy Winehouse what can happen when there seems no end to the derision....

July 23 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply