July 30, 2014

'Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Santa Barbara' Star Christopher Mayer Dies, Aged 57

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jul 29th 2011 6:30AM
Christopher MayerIt's been announced that actor Christopher "Chip" Mayer died July 24 in Sherman Oaks, Calif., of natural causes. He was 57.

Born George Charles Mayer, III, he was raised in Ridgewood, New Jersey and attended Colgate University.

He made his TV debut in the 1980 ABC pilot 'Stunts Unlimited,' in which he starred as one of a group of stuntmen recruited for espionage work.

Mayer's first major TV role was in the top-rated CBS series, 'The Dukes of Hazzard.' He and Byron Cherry were brought in as Vance and Coy Duke for the 1982-3 season after stars Tom Wopat and John Schneider walked out in a contract dispute.

Mayer and Cherry were contracted to do 10 episodes but ended up appearing in at least 17. Warner Bros. ultimately reached a settlement with Wopat and Schneider after the show's ratings sagged and they returned for the final four episodes of the season.

Mayer also contributed his voice to an animated CBS spin-off called 'The Dukes.'

He was a series regular on daytime soap 'Santa Barbara,' playing T.J. Daniels in over 130 episodes in 1987 and 1988.

Mayer was also a series regular on Aaron Spelling's 'Glitter' in 1984, and he guest-starred on numerous TV series in the 1980s and 1990s, including 'The Love Boat,' 'Xena: Warrior Princess,' 'Silk Stalkings' and 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.' His most recent role was '18 Wheels of Justice' in 2000.

In addition to his TV work, Mayer also took on movie roles, appearing in 'Liar, Liar,' 'The Hunted' and 'Hard Time.'

Mayer is survived by his fiancée Catherine and three daughters. His ex-wife, 'The Young and The restless Star' Eileen Davidson told 'Soap Opera Digest' "I am very, very sad about his death. ... Chip was a troubled soul, but he had a hilarious sense of humor and a big heart."

mescobiz

I remember Vance and Coy on TDOH. RIP.

August 05 2011 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikie walker

rip

August 04 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry and Mandy

So sorry for his family's loss. I had such a crush on him when he was playing on Dukes of Hazzard. He was just so cute and adorable. It is unfortunate his life has been cut short. He will be missed by many.

August 04 2011 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Capricorn

I remember him playing on Dukes.....natural causes at 57 years old??? My condolences to his family.

August 04 2011 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janna Voigt

RIP Chris....I remember the season you were on Dukes of Hazzard replacing Tom during the contract dispute. I hope that you have found peace now ans that drugs/alcohol did not play a role. But if they did, I don't look down upon you, We all have our crosses to bear. I hopw that your children will be well cared for and you spent time with them and they know their father loved them. God Bless.

August 02 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret E

My mother passed away from cancer ... that's a natural cause. My sister died at the age of 37 from a blood clot ... that's a natural cause. All they are saying is that he wasn't murdered, didn't commit suicide and wasn't in an accident. And yes, 57 year old men and women die from natural causes all the time. The quote from Eileen Davidson was just a throwaway quote.

August 02 2011 at 5:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Margaret E's comment
ssnugsbug

You do not know what might or might not be in Eileen Davidson's thoughts. To say that what Eileen said "was just a throw away quote" is belittling and wasn't called for. I didn't know there was a response that was deemed "best and proper" when told someone has died.

August 03 2011 at 8:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BOBBY

I remember watching the 'Dukes of Hazzard' when I was a kid with my family. It was an exciting show for its time and I have fond memories of my childhood related to spending time at home with my family. All of which have passed way too young, except my dad and an aunt from my mother's side. Rest in peace Chris.

August 02 2011 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dgudell

RIP. Chris

August 02 2011 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrnBer

For all you wannabe forensic specialists and medical examiners, his ex-wife called him a troubled soul - let him rest in peace.

August 01 2011 at 11:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
shutterz2203

Actually, everyone dies of the same thing..their heartbeat and respirations cease, it starts with cardiac arrest and ends with clinical death...which is quite a natural death. What caused their 'clinical death' could be any number of things; gunshots, cancer, diabetes, AIDS, choked eating a friggin oyster, etc., but they all die when their heart stops. People die for various reasons not related to a destructive lifestyle whether they are 57 or an infant... I feel sorry for (also disgusted by) people that look for the worst in other's demise.

August 01 2011 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply