December 19, 2014

Who Did Ashley Hebert Choose on 'The Bachelorette' Finale?

by Catherine Lawson, posted Aug 2nd 2011 4:20AM
'The Bachelorette' Season 7 FinaleIt's been a tough old season for Ashley Hebert. Usually it's 'The Bachelorette' who turns men down, but over the last few weeks we've seen a record number of suitors choose to walk away from her and the show.

However, on last night's Season 7 finale Ashley finally got that romantic ending she'd been looking for.

On a beach in Fiji she tearfully accepted a proposal of marriage from the last man standing kneeling: None other than fan favorite J.P. Rosenbaum.

The 34-year-old construction manager from Roslyn, New York faced a tough grilling from her family and beat out Ben Flajnik to win Ashley's heart in the end.

But did Ashley find true love? Or was it all rigged for the viewers' benefit?

Rival Ben -- who said the experience turned him from a boy to a man -- seemed to make a better impression on the Hebert family, but to no avail. Even the healing mud bath he and Ashley took together didn't help his cause even though, as he put it, "When you're lubing each other up with mud it's really erotic."

And he did not seem to handle rejection at all well. After Ashley turned him and his gigantic rock down he said "What I don't need you to do is sugarcoat it. You can't leave something like this on good terms. It's impossible. ... Right now I'm in utter shock and disbelief. Things don't end unless they end badly."

The happy couple said that Ashley is going to finish dental school and then move to New York, where she and J.P. will get their own place. But don't pick out a hat for the wedding just yet. He said they'll start talking about wedding plans "Once things are a little more stable."

Uh oh. Are those good old-fashioned delaying tactics we hear in his voice?

Or is something more sinister? 'The National Enquirer' is raining on Ashley and J.P.'s parade by claiming that the whole thing was rigged from the start and that she was in on it.

According to the 'Enquirer,' Ashley admitted she picked J.P. as the man she wanted to marry early in the sea­son, and sources charge that producers then had to concoct scenes to make the show more exciting -- including turning 29-year-old Bentley Williams into the villain.

The tabloid quotes a source close to the show as saying that "Ashley really wasn't a strong 'Bache­lorette' and producers knew it. ... Usually the contestant understands that she has to perform. They'll act out their own little scripts while the produc­ers nod and wink."

Acting every bit the cartoon villain, Bent­ley, who left in the third episode, made crude on-camera remarks about Ashley's body, her "boring" kiss and "overall unat­tractiveness." But without him the show was, well, pretty dull so he was brought back to humiliate her further a few episodes later.

Show host Chris Harrison even con­fessed that Ashley's scenes were edited to make her look like a pushover. "It's an entertain­ment show, first and foremost," he said.

In an interview with 'The Philadelphia Inquirer' last month Ashley confessed that "I knew where my heart was from very early on. I wanted to give every guy a chance but by the time of the hometown dates, I was probably 95 percent sure. ... I don't know that I have made a good Bachelorette."

She went on to admit that, "If I'm not into some­body, I have a hard time faking it, and I think in this environment, you have to be able to do that some­times."

The Season 4 winner, Jesse Csincsak, said that "Ashley wants to please the producers, but in the back of her head, she's not standing behind her decisions. ... You're seeing two different sides -- what the producers want and then her doubting her decisions."

Ashley's 'Bachelorette' successor has not yet been cast, but on the back of this bland season, producers have hinted that the format could be shaken up for Season 8.

Watch the full episode below.

mrsmowl

Yes Yes Yes Ashley and JP are perfect for each other. She will be one bachlorette that makes it to the alter

August 04 2011 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ginandavid73

The Bachelor/Bachelorette show is, first and foremost, for our entertainment. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If it weren't scripted, it wouldn't be nearly as fun to watch. Also, if not for being filmed in exotic places, and the beautiful clothes, and the makeup artists and hairstylists, it would be so much like real life, no one would WANT to watch it. Personally, I used to dread Mondays...BEFORE I began watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette series on ABC a couple of years ago. I have, and always wil be, addicted to it. I love to watch people falling in love. I don't enjoy the sad parts but, there has to be some of that too. I have so much enjoyed every episode I've seen. I get to the point where I feel I actually know these peole. I'll keep watching the show as long as it is on. I LOVE IT. So, sue me.

August 04 2011 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n1k2r3

I hope that it works out for both Ashley and PJ. If her sister stays out of the picture and there's no problem with the " "mixed marriage", I think it can be successful.

August 03 2011 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bicycleka

She will probably wonder for the rest of her life, what if I had picked Ben. I think it will forever be on her mind. Especially after her and J.P. breakup.

August 02 2011 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MR. H

I SEEN BETTER HEAD ON CABBAGE -------- I WOULD PASS ON THIS ONE AND I'M NO ROCK HUDSON

August 02 2011 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
instincia

J.P's love for Ashley seemed much deeper than Ben's. He's made many profound statements about Ashley. J.P described Ashley as the most wonderful women he has ever met, and of all the relationships he's been in, he has never felt like this about anyone. And that he can't even stand to be a day without her saying how much it stinks when she is not around.( He is head over heals in love with Ashley, absolutely intoxicated by her)Ben loved
her for waking up a part of him that he forgot existed due to the deaths on his love ones, and allowing him to fall in love again. Ben is younger and this experience allowed him to grow as he said " It changed him from a boy to a man" Sweet Ben will eventually recover from the pain as he enjoys this new outlook on life Ashley has brought him. I think J.P would have been distraughted at Ashley's rejection. He definately could not live without Ashley. Ben who is more layed back and gentle would probably be more of my type, but for Ashley, I my pick is J.P. Ashley and J.P are the most in love that I ever seen a couple on the "Bachelor/Bachelorette" and the reunion.

August 02 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kgreen320

Ben was the best choice and as he said at the end, Ashley went for the safe choice. Ben was a much more interesting person from the beginning

August 02 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Broadband

ashley and jp are a perfect couple. they look great together and wish them alot of happiness and love forever.

August 02 2011 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I think that Ashley is absolutely gorgeous with a great personality to match. However, I think that she chose the wrong guy. Their romance works in the fairy tale world of Fiji, Hong Kong, and Thailand, but in the real world, I can't see those two lasting more than one year.

August 02 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ziepp

Let's make it exciting and have seniors--60 plus--divorced and widowed, as the main bachelor or bachelorette...wouldn't that change the dynamic in a huge way?? Yes, I volunteer!! Ann in Carson

August 02 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply