November 25, 2014

Do People Really Buy Reality Shows on DVD?

by Jean Bentley, posted Aug 3rd 2011 7:00PM
SurvivorApparently, due to viewer demand, CBS Home Entertainment has decided to release two more seasons of 'Survivor' on DVD. Entertainment Weekly reports that the company will use Amazon.com's CreateSpace to release 'Survivor: The Amazon' and 'Survivor: Thailand' (season 6 and 5).

This is great news for the hardcore 'Survivor' enthusiasts among us, I suppose, but it leads me to wonder: who on Earth is really clamoring for 'Survivor' DVD sets? Or reality TV on DVD in general?

It would be one thing if the show were some obscure, one- or two-season wonder unavailable for public consumption (this is me trying to say I really miss 'The Mole'), but in the case of 'Survivor,' which is still thriving, or shows like 'America's Next Top Model,' 'Top Chef' or 'Project Runway,' which are regularly marathoned on various cable networks, why would you want a DVD to relive your favorite moments over and over again? That's what YouTube is for.

I'll admit, I did recently re-watch the first season of 'Laguna Beach' when it became available on Netflix streaming, but that's only because I was super bored and had burned through my DVR queue. It's not like I sought it out; Netflix recommended it to me! (I swear.)

It's not like reality shows are full of carefully crafted dialogue or clever pop culture references -- it's usually regular people doing stupid things for money. Why on earth do we need to see that again?

If you're a fan of reality TV on DVD, by all means -- tell me why I'm wrong. And don't forget to place your pre-order for 'Survivor.' According to EW, the first sets will ship in September.

Belmont Monroe

I just bought season 4 of the real housewives of orange county and for the first time figured out what it was about. Watching older ,eat eating women in their 40s who can't figure out that eating meat is what causes the horrific aging phenom is amusing, I don't know how "real" some of it is,but ppl have ALWAYS loved drama and viewing real people who let you into their lives to see their dirty laundry and break downs on tv for the entire country to see is irresistible. I've always known this brand of drama would be highly popular, for one thing, it's not a FAKE tv show like cheers or hill street blues or I dream of Jeanie...it's totally different and attractive. It's not phony balmy actors pretending to feel an emotion and hoping to win a trophy for their narcissistic tendencies. Reality shows FINALLY let the average Joe have some level of fame. It's fun for them and a rare opportunity. It's also launched some careers. It's new and different compared to all the rehashed crap forced on us since the 1950s that were forever in syndication throughout the 70s and 80s. So all of this is relatively new and fun for us! It's all about getting us recognized and we don't have to look like a toothy, emaciated model or rock star. It's about time we can peer at ourselves through the rabbit hole..I do think that it's taught people that we all are the same, we all have issues, wants, needs, hopes, dreams, goals and fantasies.

March 15 2012 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jude

I own season 1 of The Amazing Race, which is the only reality show I love. I would like to see all the other seasons again. Heck, if I only had a friend, I'd like to be *on* that show.

August 07 2011 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad456

would be nice to see dvds of American Idol all seasons

August 04 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Maybe "performance" shows? I personally saved all the episodes of Rockstar: INXS and Rockstar: Supernova that aired because in between lots of silliness (looking at you, Tommy) there are some good performances to go back over. I'll concede this show might fit into Ms Bentley's "obscure wonder" category, but since it's a Mark Burnett joint I'll count it anyway.

I'm not in American Idol's demographic, but do people ever re-watch those shows? America's Got Talent? Stuff like that?

If I ever see a "Real Housewives" or "Hell's Kitchen" DVD, though, I'll probably have to shoot myself. 8-)

August 04 2011 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrschimpf

My question is, they're bothering to release "Survivor Thailand" on DVD? Isn't that the season that Jeff and everyone else in Survivor history has tried to push into the realm of Cousin Oliver because of the awful game playing. skeezy contestants and Skinemax regular winning the game? They'd be better off just selling box sets of "Public Morals" over putting that one on disc.

August 03 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

RIght here, me. I'm not sure I would watch a lot of different reality shows on DVD, however I do own every season of Survivor that're available, and I will be getting these two as well. I'm not a reality show super fan, but I love survivor. They've had some great characters, competitions, and drama. Not to mention the best host on TV.

Bring on more seasons!

August 03 2011 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BJ Wanlund

Are reality programs and game shows one and the same? I'd rather buy game shows on DVD (or Blu-Ray, or iTunes) than any other program... please give me that chance, Hollywood.

August 03 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yanksno1

I certainly don't. Though the only reality show I watch is Big Brother, just cause nothing's on in the summer. I just wish the studios would release the rest of Growing Pains and Whos the Boss seasons already. Loved those shows growing up.

August 03 2011 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply