April 23, 2014

Kirstie Alley Gets ABC Sitcom Pilot

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 3rd 2011 4:00PM
Kirstie AlleyAfter charming audiences with her cha cha cha on 'Dancing With the Stars,' Kirstie Alley is poised to waltz her way into a new ABC sitcom.

AOL TV first reported Alley's desire to return to comedies -- she told us about possible projects with TV Land and HBO -- but Deadline reports she's landed a multi-camera sitcom called 'The Manzanis.'

Described as a new take on 'Roseanne,' the project follows a family, led by Alley's opinionated wife and mother character, as they move to a "repressed country club town."

The project is written by Marco Pennette ('Caroline in the City') and Dave Flebotte ('Ellen'), with the duo also executive producing. Alley's manager Jason Weinberg and Aaron Kaplan ('Good Christian Belles') are also expected to join the project as executive producers.

'The Manzanis' has been in development for a few years, but recently got ABC's attention after a rewrite to fit Alley's comedic tone.

Aside from 'Dancing,' Alley had memorable TV roles on 'Cheers,' 'Veronica's Closet' and 'Fat Actress.'

In April, Alley told us about a few new projectsshe's been working on. "I have a series being written for me right now that I really love the concept of," she said. "They're doing it for TV Land and I like those guys. They are really bringing comedy back."

Also on her radar? ABC's 'Modern Family.'

"I wouldn't mind popping in, but I really want my own show," she said. "And I really want my own movies. I'm selfish, what can I say?"

suzabellawilliam

i have always liked kirstie, she is truely genuine in real life and the characters she plays; she is beautiful regardless of her size and think she looks better with age; keep it up kirstie!!!!

August 04 2011 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daddysaiddaisy

yea Kirstie as one woman to another I am proud of you and an avid fan heavy or not.....

August 04 2011 at 5:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

'at Last, a real talent back on TV instead of the stupid stupid reality shows. She is great and I'm happy to see her back ont op.

August 04 2011 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I love Kirstie! My kind of woman. Gutsy & funny as all get out. Doesn't take herself TOO seriously. We need more people in the public eye like her. I'll watch any show or movie she can land; she's always been a favorite of mine.

August 04 2011 at 5:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Carole

I would definitely watch her new show. As for her weight ups and downs. Most people fail at Jenny Craig. Even real normal life people. It's the food. They give you specific foods to eat and when you've reached your weight goal if you don't keep buying and start eating regular food again, there ya go. I've seen this first hand with a cousin of mine who did the Jenny Craig thing over and over. All she really lost was her money. It's much better to see a doctor, have them put you on a realistic diet and stick to it for life. Change your eating habits, not eat pre-packaged food. Honestly, can any of you slamming Kirstie for her ups and down say that you never eat anything so called bad for you? I know I can't and I doubt you can................

August 04 2011 at 5:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BIG DADDY STEVE

I'm very proud of Kirstie and I think she is AWESOME! Go get em' Kirstie.....

August 04 2011 at 5:11 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
garynyc1964

kasel1 your comments are rude and stupid. Love Kirstie and would watch anything she does in the future.

August 04 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dallas5100

thank you tv people comedy back on the tv.. sick sick sick sick of all the reality dumb down shows.. we are paying lots of money for tv viewing and what do we get reality ''poop''.. cheapier than paying actors that are willing to work and not collect unimployment.. we are even helping the economy by demanding paid actors instead reality ''poop''..get with the program tv execs comedy and paid actors..

August 04 2011 at 4:20 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mscellanus

Kirstie is a great actress and I am looking forwrad to her new show. In spite of her struggles with her weight, she is still a beautiful woman. I hope she brings Maxim (DWTS partner) on the show too.

August 04 2011 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crazy ray

Exciting for Kristie. For the rest of us, this is just another beat up, shrivelling broad whose deteriorating face we'll se once a week when we click through the channels and say, "Oh, what a pitty. She still has to work even though she's lost her looks and her talent, meger though they were in the beginning."

August 04 2011 at 2:35 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to crazy ray's comment
e

Agree 100%. Why is it that old(er) people are being portrayed as sexy these days? I mean you still have the people who age gracefully and elegantly, like Sting, but then you have so many who just struggle against age and end up looking, well, used and silly. And, garynyc1964, if the truth hurts calling it rude and stupid won't change it. For those of you who wrote of her talent, please elaborate with examples. I watched Cheers and though it was good, her performance in it wasn't what drew me to the show.

August 06 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply