December 22, 2014

'America's Got Talent' Backstage Report: Piers Morgan Plans to Bring Back Charles Peachock

by Michael Maloney, posted Aug 4th 2011 7:00AM
'AGT' Week 10 ResultsDespite getting strikes from two thirds of the judging team on 'America's Got Talent' juggler Charles Peachock made it into the Top Five on last night's results program.

It came down to Peachock and impressionist Melissa Villasenor for the fourth act of the night that would advance to the next round and, not surprisingly, Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel, who'd both given strikes to Peachock on Tuesday's show, stuck to their guns and threw their support to Villasenor.

AOL TV was on the post show press line to speak with the judges, Peachock and other ejected acts to get their reactions to the latest 'AGT' results.

Viewers may not have seen the last of Peachock, however. Piers Morgan shared that he's going to throw his wild card vote to the axed juggler.

Melissa VillasenorMandel stands by his decision. "Maybe as a comic I'm biased, but Melissa creates her own material, her own characters, the voices," he says. "Every time it's different. She's unique. There aren't a lot of funny women out there. There needs to be more."

It wasn't a surprise when other acts were voted off earlier in the show. The Kinetic King didn't stand a chance after his domino trick with sticks failed to work properly.

"I'm still baffled as to what unholy combination of humidity and having the sticks there for so long caused them to lock up," the King says. "It was strange. Instead of a 'stick' bomb I had a 'stuck' bomb."

Juggler Frank Miles lost support of the judges when he failed to impale a donut with a crossbow arrow. (In the words of Maxwell Smart he "missed it by that much!")

"The headgear was on a just a little bit crooked," Miles says. "It changed the angle of how my head was tilted. That had never happened before, not in a single rehearsal."

In hindsight, might Miles have gotten a laugh if he'd taken the unscathed donut and maybe taken a bite out of it?

"I didn't think to do schtick," he responds. "I was also confused about what happened. Someone from off stage yelled out that I'd hit it. I wasn't trying to cover for anything because I thought it had worked."

Charles PeachockPeachock didn't let being buzzed by Mandel and Osbourne affect his concentration. "I was looking down and thinking about hitting my notes," he says.

"I heard the buzz and thought it was from Piers. I was pleased [to find out it wasn't him.] Piers takes this show more seriously than anyone does. Viewers realize he looks at the talent in a very serious way and he picks the acts that he thinks will do well.

"I am hoping to come back for a wild card show," Peachock continues. "If I do I have a completely different set. I'd love to get a chance to show America something completely different."

'America's Got Talent' airs Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9PM ET on NBC.

Golf and Drum

Kenobi,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the faked lunar landings and how JFK retired to Long Island...

August 04 2011 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Golf and Drum's comment
General Kenobi

Obviously one of those duped... and proud of it, apparently. Rock on, moron.

August 04 2011 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to General Kenobi's comment
Golf and Drum

I've known Charlie for 25 years General. He has integrity and is honest. You are named after Star Wars. Go flame some other board, dork.

August 05 2011 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
General Kenobi

"I was looking down and thinking about hitting my notes,"

That's a lie. I wonder how many people other than Piers Morgan were duped by this act? He wasn't playing anything. The piano keys weren't real. It was a dummy piano where only the interior was actually a working piano attached to a computer program. You've heard of lip syncing? Peachock was ball syncing... All he was doing was throwing those balls down, trying to keep up with the general pace and rhythm of the song. Those were tennis balls, yet we are supposed to believe that rolling the ball across the keys depressed them? Hardly. When he did that they also showed it from a high angle perspective. You can see where the ball is, and you can see where the piano is playing. The two aren't the same. The ball was triggering NOTHING. It was a scam performance and he continues to try to lie to us all and make us think he played that piano... he didn't. When he stepped off the piano, by stepping on the keys, you could even see nothing went down... This guy is a joke and anyone that votes for him deserves to be duped and deserves a crap winner this season.

August 04 2011 at 8:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to General Kenobi's comment
Monet India

It was a touch sensitive piano moron. Way to waste od time writing a completely false paragraph.OBVIOUSLY balls cant depress notes.

August 05 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MichaelW

Do you really think that the producers of the show would let him get away with that? Say a ball did get away from him, landed on the floor and the music went on. AGT loses credibility instantly; the video would go viral, the producers would be canned. You definitely do not have the Force.

August 05 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply