Powered by i.TV
October 22, 2014

British Tabloid Simultaneously Reports Existence of New Piers Morgan Show and Says It's on Hold

by Catherine Lawson, posted Aug 5th 2011 5:10AM
Piers MorganThe phone-hacking scandal that's engulfing News Corp.'s assets in the U.K. is threatening to take down another high-profile figure.

The British tabloid 'The Daily Star' is reporting that 'America's Got Talent' judge Piers Morgan may have lost out on a new show he's been developing for CNN.

According to the report, CNN executives have put the the breaks on the new show, as new hacking allegations continue to mount against the former British tabloid editor.

However, a spokesperson for Piers Morgan is pushing back on the story, telling AOL TV that there never was a new show in production, and that 'Piers Morgan Tonight' is not jeopardy.

Sources told the 'Star' that the news-based program would have run in tandem with Morgan's nightly CNN chat show, 'Piers Morgan Tonight,' and that its development was part of the deal he signed back in September 2010 when he took over for Larry King.

Pressure is mounting on Morgan to return to the U.K. to answer some uncomfortable questions concerning allegations that tabloid newspapers illegally hacked into phones.

A former print journalist, Morgan made a name for himself in the newspaper world, serving as editor of now-shuttered 'News of the World' and editor-in-chief of 'The Daily Mirror.' He was fired from the 'Mirror' for publishing fake photos of British soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners.

Paul McCartney's ex-wife Heather Mills has publicly accused Morgan of bragging about listening to other people's personal voicemails. She also told the BBC's 'Newsnight' program that a Mirror Group journalist told her he'd hacked her phone while Morgan was editor of 'The Daily Mirror.'

Morgan has previously referred to Mills as "one of the world's great gold diggers," and in a statement refuting her claims, he insisted: "To reiterate, I have never hacked a phone, told anyone to hack a phone, nor to my knowledge published any story obtained from the hacking of a phone."

But the controversy is refusing to die down and now McCartney says he intends to contact police in the U.K. over his ex-wife's claims.

The former Beatle told TV journalists in Cincinnati, Ohio: "I will be talking to [the police] about that, I don't think it's great. I do think it is a horrendous violation of privacy, and I do think it's been going on a long time, and I do think more people than we know knew about it."

"But," he added. "I think I should just listen and hear what the facts are before I comment."

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

4 Comments

Filter by:
dorisoyab

I was watching Morning Joe the other day when Joe Scarsborough(?) made a negative remark about Piers Morgan and this "much to do about nothing" scandal. I said to myself, "Joe you will never be as good as Pierce Morgan.Not in this lifetime, and, probably not the next one either." Good luck to you Pierce, I'm rooting for you. Your CNN show is absolutely fabulous.

August 06 2011 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mellonmarshall

hey this is the Star, that earlier in the year had people comment on the fact that it made up stories, just fully made them up so I thnk I believe that Harry Potter is real first.
Plus the Mirror and the Star are very much on other sides of the political see-saw, with the Star being the paper of EDL, a hateful group who go to towns that want nothing to do with their hate and protest to the cost of millions of pounds to the local people.

August 05 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nevadasmiths2

It's about time. He is a nobody and has no talent. How did he get to be a celebrity? He is also rude and has no manners. Can we deport him?

August 05 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

No loss...he sucks

August 05 2011 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Follow Us

From Our Partners