August 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Colin Farrell Talks About His Son's Condition, Angelman Syndrome (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 5th 2011 4:51AM
Colin Farrell, 'Late Show with David Letterman'Angelman Syndrome, or AS, is an unusual disease to diagnose. It's also very rare, striking only one in 30,000 children, according to Colin Farrell on 'Late Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS). He said it's often misdiagnosed as a form of cerebral palsy. But one trait in particular can point the right doctor in the right direction.

"It was actually when a doctor saw how happy he was," Farrell explained. "He was like, 'Does he always smile this much?'"

From there, they tested their child and they knew more clearly what was going on. It's certainly an interesting situation to be in when happiness is an indicator of a deeper problem, but there are of course more telling signs, such as delayed development of fine motor skills and speech.

At four years old, Farrell's son is only just starting to walk and he doesn't talk, but he's happy. And for most parents, that's the number one thing you want for your child. So, as difficult as it must be to cope with a child with AS, Farrell can't help but feel that his son is doing well because he is so very happy.

Stacy Fetter Adams

I'm 39, and spent 35 wonderful years with a brother who had Angelman's Syndrome. Since we went 25+ years not knowing what caused my brother's condition, having a diagnosis was somewhat of a relief. Having a child with disabilities always changes the dynamics of families, and yes, brings with it heartache and broken dreams, but my brother brought a much more positive aspect to life than I can ever explain. Being a fairly recent discovery, I am so glad that Angelman's is being researched and talked about now a days. Having support and seeing likeness in other Angelman children and their families warms my heart. Sadly, my brother passed away several years ago from, of all things, colon cancer. Since he was always happy, and NEVER expressed pain or sadness, we had no idea he was ill at all. By the time that he was symptomatic, the colon cancer was Stage 4. My mom has found research that may link the cancer with the same deletion causing Angelman's. I pray that with the increase in AS awareness, more studies will be done to help families not only adapt to having a child/sibling with Angelman's, but may help in determining risk factors, such as cancer, involved with the genetic abnormality as well. I love Colin's positive attitude towards having a son with AS. I can't express enough how fortunate I feel to have been blessed with my brother. I miss him so much, and think of him everyday. Love you Shayne! xo

February 25 2012 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberta

Angelman Syndrome is also known as "Happy Puppet Syndrome'. The person appears happy with smiles and flapping arms all the time. Skin tone us usually very beautiful. They are non-verbal and cognitively limited. Because of their happy disposition, you feel good too! Sadly, the condition deteriorates over time.

September 16 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

KEN:FROM N.M WE ALSO HAVE A CHILD WITH A.S. HE IS NOW 26 DOES NOT SPEAK USE THE BATHROOM ,WE,VE BEEN CHANGING DIAPERS FOR 26 YEARS IT GETS OLD!! YES MOST DOCS. HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A S MOST PEOPLE EITHER ,IT IS VERY HARD RAISING A CHILD WITH A.S. AND AS WE GET OLDER I,M 69 WE ARE VERY COCERNED ABOUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR SON .WILL HE BE ABUSED BY THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO WATCH OVER HIM? WE HAVE OUR DOUBTS ,HE HAS BEEN ABUSED BY CARETAKERS IN THE PAST AS WE WERE TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING.WHEN WE TRIED TO HAVE THIS ABUSER PROSCUTED FOR THIS ABUSE, THE D.A. TOLD ME WE DON,T HAVE A WITNESS, HA!! MY SON DOES NOT TALK BUT I CAN I TOLD THEM I WAS FRUSTATED BY HER LACK OF WILLIGNESS TO DO SOMETHING,ONE DAY I CAME HOME EARLY FROM WORK I OPENED THE DOOR EASILY AS I COULD HEAR MY SON CRYING,I SAW THE CARETAKER WITH HER FEET PROPPED UP ON THE RECLI9NER, I ASKED HER WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY SON, SHE MUMBLED SOMETHING ,AND HURRIED BY ME T0O HIS ROOM AS SHE PASSED BY THE THERMEOTER WHERE WE KEEP A PENNY TO OPEN A LOCKED BEDROOM DOOR I SAW HER REACH UP AND GET THAT PENNY ,I SAT MY GROCERIES DOWN AND HURRIED TO HIS ROOM ,THERE I FOUND THIS LITTLE BOY BACK THEN ,HIS FACE WAS RED,TEARS WERE STREAMING DOWN HIS FACE I C RADLED HIM IN MY ARMS AND TRIED TO COM FORT HIM, BUT HE WAS ANGRY ANGRY WITH ME F0R LEAVING HIM WITH THIS CREATURE WHO HAD SMACKED MY SON AND LOCKED HIM IN HIS ROOM,SON I SAID WHAT HAPPENED,THIS CHILD OF MINE SMACKED ME TWICE IN THE FACE ,AND HE DID IT BECAUSE I HAD LEFT HIM WITH THIS EVIL PERSON,I DID NOT BLAME HIM FOR THE SLAPING HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ,WHAT ARE PARENTS TO DO?MOST CAREGIVERS THAT CAME FROM AN AGENCY WERE ALL,I MEAN ALL A NUNCH OF CROOKS WHO PADDED THEIR TIME SHEETS WE HAD TO SIGN,WHEN I TRIED TO GET THE STATE TO DO WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING ,I NEVER HJEARD FROM A SINGLE ONE OF THEM,IT WAQS A RACKET ,I WANT SO MUCH TO HAVE THE MONEY TO BUILD A HOME FOR A.S. KIDS IN MY TOWN,WIN THE LOTTERY HA!! WHAT AEAM BUT I KEEP TRYIN G, I HEAR ABOUT OTHER BIRTH DEFECTS AND THE MONEY THEY GET FOR REASEARCH,I COULD SCREAM!! BRCAUSE A.S. GETS LITTLE TO NON E , THEIR REARCH CENTER IS IN GAINSVILLE FLA.THERE IS A LOT MORE I COULD TELL YOU BUT I,V HAD MY SAY , ALL WE CAN DO NOW IS TO PRAY TO GOD OUR SON WILL BE SAFE FROM HARM WHEN WE ARE GONE ARE UNABLE TO CARE FOR OUR ANGEL CHILD TIJERAS3@AOL.COM

August 09 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ken's comment
Lena Robertson

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad 2 64 GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic
Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will
never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also
sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $674 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here
is the website we use to get it all from, http://HitPenny.com

August 09 2011 at 3:28 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Gayle

Where is the "report" spam button?

August 09 2011 at 9:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
robert

a horrible condition often called "happy puppet syndrome." I feel for him and any parent with a child with Angelman.

August 08 2011 at 10:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Yindaloo

I too know a kid who has angelman's syndrome. She is the happiest kid on the planet, and we have always joked that she would make a a great hostess in a restaurant. She loves water, and could swim all day in a pool all year if you'd let her. She does not talk. She does say "mom" and "hi", and knows a few signs ( like "stop" when her older brother is bugging her) but has far as communication, you know exactly what she wants to say by her body language, pointing and expressions. She is the most loving person...always giving out hugs, concerned with people who are sad, and wants to comfort them. She is very social. She brings a smile to anyone that is around her. To those who are trying to solve the cause, it is genetic, so please don't try to blame the environment, chemicals or anything else. I am blessed to know this child. Her smiles communicate more than verbal speech, and it has been a great pleasure to know her since she was born.

August 08 2011 at 8:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
hotmessmom

His son does not appear to have it as severly as some kids from the pictures I have seen but I do not know the kid is pretty sheltered and he is 6..not 4. My friends neice has a from of angleman's and is extremely disabled physically and mentally. She is 19 but looks 12. Walks very little and is mostly in a wheelchair and cannot talk at all. Sad. God bless these kids.

August 08 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malloryca

My heart goes out to little children who face huge challenges. life itself is hard but having some type of disability makes it even harder. God bless the little boy and his parents. May they be around for a very long time to take care of his needs.

August 08 2011 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Hannah

Wish we could get Colin to stop using the word retard in his films.

August 08 2011 at 2:53 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hannah's comment
Mr. Serene

Films imitate life. Like it or not, everyone is not PC.

August 11 2011 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paige

God Bless Colin's little boy. And God bless Colin. I pray they find cure ASAP........

August 07 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply