November 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Anthony Bourdain and Josh Homme Punish Jethro Tull on 'No Reservations' (VIDEO)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Aug 9th 2011 9:20AM
Anthony Bourdain and Josh HommeAnthony Bourdain is a huge music fan and this week he devoted an entire episode of 'No Reservations' (Mon., 9PM ET on TRAV) to hanging out with Josh Homme and the Queens of the Stone Age at Rancho de la Luna, their recording studio in the California desert.

It turns out that Bourdain and the guys have a long-standing grudge against the Grammy voting panel for what they deem an unforgivable lapse over 20 years ago.

As Bourdain puts it, an "ageing, clueless and increasingly incontinent Grammys judging panel" controversially awarded the 1989 Grammy for Best Hard Rock and Metal record to British prog rockers Jethro Tull.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the Tull's oeuvre, it involves flutes, mandolins and a lot of standing on one leg. Though, to be fair, they were going through their own version of a "hard rock" phase at the time of the controversial award.)

Unable to forgive the Tull for beating out Metallica's '... And Justice for All' album Bourdain and Homme decided to get medieval on the bearded ones. Bring on the bows and arrows!

To a soundtrack that Homme wrote especially for the show, the guys exorcized the pain of the 1989 Grammys by firing arrows at a Jethro Tull album strapped to a haybale. The cameraman may have looked nervous, but everyone else looked like they were having a great time.

Joe DISH

DISH Network is great for a lot of things. I work for DISH where I have been using the DISH Online to watch my movies and shows. This is great I don’t have to be stuck home on the couch. I am here at one of my classes right now and I have my movie off my DVR playing to keep me entertained. This is a great feature that I recommend to everyone. DISH is a great value and you get the best rates. Find out more at http://besttvforme.com/

August 22 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith

Ian Anderson was as surprised and mystified as anyone when Tull won that day. If Metallica wants to be mad at somebody, they should be mad at the voting panel.

August 10 2011 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russell Ross

this is an hour I will never get back. ugh, thank god for dvr's.

August 09 2011 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
revivalman

So.....is this what these guys do for a living?

August 09 2011 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rshpaints

Metallica S---S. Tull Is much more. Listen to aqualung .

August 09 2011 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Commander

Metallica should have won, no doubt. But don't take it out on Jethro Tull. Take it out on the crooked judges!

August 09 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
wmjroyce

Bourdain is a pompous ass who should stick to eating monkey butts.

August 09 2011 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marquita

I would have voted for Tull as well.

August 09 2011 at 12:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mskaseybrewer7

awwww.. poor Jethro Tull! It wasn't their fault that they got the grammy. It's not like they voted for themselves! lol

August 09 2011 at 11:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Get real.

Bourdain has gone from being merely self indulgent to totally boring.

August 09 2011 at 10:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply