November 23, 2014

'America's Got Talent' Backstage Report: Did Piers Morgan Buzz a Little Girl Because of Nick Cannon's Dare?

by Michael Maloney, posted Aug 11th 2011 7:00AM
Breena Bell The audience at home mostly has the final say on whether or not an act progresses to the next round on 'America's Got Talent,' but a strike ("X") from the judges is still pretty much the kiss of death for a competitor.

None of the six performers/acts from Tuesday night that received a dreaded red buzz from judges Piers Morgan (who gave five) and Howie Mandel (who gave one) are advancing to the semi-finals.

The lucky ones that did advance include dancer Beth Ann Robinson, bicyclist Matt Willheim, circus performers Gymkana and singer Kevin Colis.

Morgan pretty much sealed the fate of agile tumbler Breena Bell when he gave her a strike on Tuesday's show.

Why'd he do it?

Could it be because host Nick Cannon told Morgan that he'd be "truly evil" if he buzzed the pre-teen contortionist?

"It makes no difference to me," muses Morgan. "That's not why I buzzed her. But at this stage of the game you have to be fair. That little girl is a talented gymnast, but, to me, it's not a semi-final act. It doesn't matter if Nick thinks I'm 'evil' -- it's just the truth."

Not surprisingly, Morgan disagreed with Mandel striking Powerhouse, the show choir from Burbank.

"The question was, 'Did they make me happy?' Oddly, they did."

Five strikes for the night from Morgan was high but, as always, the talk show host stands by each and every one.

"You have to be careful with the YouTube.com contestants," he cautions. "You want to send a signal to America that this is who we think should go through. You want to limit the range."

Mandel likewise stands behind his decision to strike the 'Glee'-inspired high school singers.

"These are people competing to be million-dollar headlining professionals," Mandel says. "That certainly was not a million-dollar headlining professional act.

"I let most people play out," Mandel adds. "There are some I'm not on the fence about -- I liked Aeon. It's kind of cool."

Surprisingly, West Springfield Dance Team didn't make it through to the semi-finals -- at least not yet. Judge Sharon Osbourne revealed she intends to select them for her Wild Card pick.

"I love West Springfield Dance Team," Osbourne enthuses. Her one critique is that she feels that the group does need to change its name. "It's not representative of who they are."

So why doesn't Osbourne use her buzzer very often?

"These guys are all amateurs apart from the magician. Why not give them their 90 seconds? Why not?

'America's Got Talent' airs Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9PM ET on NBC.

djester48

Piers Morgan tells it like it is. I find myself agreeing with him 99% of the time. Howie and Sharon vote the way they do most of the time just to irritate him. I suppose you people are going to tell me those Knomes were talented!

August 22 2011 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharroncrandell

I should have read the other comments before writing mine b/c it seems everyone agrees with me. PIERS MORGAN IS AN A#&HOLE THAT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO WHERE HE CAME FROM HE IS NOT WANTED HERE.

August 14 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sharroncrandell

Piers Morgan is an egomanic with a speech impediment. I truly cannot stand him on American's Got Talent so I won't watch it or if I do I TiVo it and fast forward through anything he has to say. I was shocked that he got Larry King's show because he constantly slams American and we are the country that are making him rich. Obviously he couldn't cut it in his own country and certainly didn't want to pay 50% tax. To say he is mean and cruel would be an understand. I would like to see him get up there and do anything.... anything. He has NO business on this show. He is a dink and obnoxious and makes Simon (who I love) look like Mother Theresa.

August 14 2011 at 12:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Glenda

We won't be watching AGT next year. The judges bickering gets old fast. I think a lot of bad talent was put through out of spite between Howie and Piers this year. Grow up.

August 14 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Why do we have these brits that are run out of their own country because of their behaviour and lavish them with the limelight here? Morgan Piers is a disgrace, he was instrumental in doctoring photos of british troops torturing Iraqi prisoners and was ran out on a rail and now here he is because of his friend Simon Cowell acting like he is lord of the manor and better than the colonist. I for one do not understand it at all.

August 14 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gonro2

That was no little girl that came in second last year. She is a BIG little girl, mature in talent and personality and deserving of first place IMHO. Obviously her producers saw something neither the judges nor America saw. You cannot judge God-given talent based on age. She's amazing ----and the only young girl able to take Streisands place, not these fly by night so-called "pop divas"----please.

August 14 2011 at 10:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

I STOPPED WATCHING THIS SHOW BECAUSE OF MORGAN..HE DOES NOT EVEN GIVE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE HALF A CHANCE..HE IS VERY ARROGANT AND JUST A *******;;

August 14 2011 at 12:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mjc101353

I wonder whether the judges intend to express their opinion, in that case they could wait till the end of the 90 sec performance or their intention is also and mainly to influence viewers' opinions and the way they would vote. Ths show is showing more frequent flaws. This is a family show so when one of the judges who has kids make a statemnt about a performer "dropping their balls" many woudl find this inappropriate. Also, the meaness of Piers towards the other judges, though evidently part of the show, is sometiems so rude and deamining that it spoils the "fun" of the show. More imptortantly, particularly during the past two seasons, the show 's name " America got talent" seems to be increasingly misleading, or at least a misnomer. One can easily notice and the judges have been more frequently refering to a "Las Vagas" or "Boradway material". So the show seems to be more of the person or group who has a talent for a "las Vagas show", and less about whether the person has a unique and great talent that can bloom in an another venue.

August 14 2011 at 12:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply