November 24, 2014

George Lopez, Conan O'Brien React to 'Lopez Tonight' Cancellation

by Jean Bentley, posted Aug 11th 2011 10:45AM
Conan O'Brien, George LopezWhen TBS announced that Conan O'Brien would be taking over George Lopez's 11PM time slot for his new late night show last year, the first person to congratulate Coco on his new job was Lopez himself, whose 'Lopez Tonight' was pushed an hour later to midnight.

TBS announced yesterday that it had decided to cancel 'Lopez Tonight' instead of ordering a third season of the talk show, and Thursday's show will be the series finale. "TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of 'Lopez Tonight.' Thursday will be the final episode of the show," the network said in a statement.

Ever the comedian, Lopez told viewers on his show Wednesday night that he'll be okay ... sort of. "Like every TV star before me, I'mma find some crack. I'mma get on the pipe! Lose that unwanted 110 pounds I wanted to lose," he joked. "But I'm taking it good, I'm straight, believe me. I'm fine. My goddesses are a wreck."

O'Brien took a more serious, heartfelt approach on his show Wednesday night, and thanked Lopez for his support and friendship over the past year. "Had it not been for George being so incredibly supportive of me a year and a half ago, I would not have come to TBS and we would not be doing this show right now," he said.

"I owe that man a lot, and frankly, it makes me very sad that TBS and George could not work this out," O'Brien continued. "I really like being a part of a late night lineup with George, and I wish that this could've continued. So tonight, all of our thoughts are with George and his entire staff and crew. We understand, believe me, how hard this is for all of you, and we wish you all the best."

Tell us: Are you upset that 'Lopez Tonight' was canceled? What should George Lopez do next?

jaymerry

You asked am I upset? I am absolutely upset. I am incensed!! What I am NOT is surprised! I knew when they moved Lopez Tonight to the later hour that this would happen. It's the same thing that happened when Arsenio was moved to make way for Letterman. They know that when they move a show to the later hour that it isn't going to pull the numbers that it might have earlier. Sorry, but I see something here that I do not like. Shows like Lopez Tonight (as well as the long defunct Arsenio Show) bring guests to us that we might never see anywhere else. With the cancellation of Lopez's show, there are many we won't see for a LO-O-O-OG time to come. You can believe it. I also want to say that it's not just his show....I LIKE George Lopez! AND I find myself unable to stomach Conan AT ALL!

August 11 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwbyers55

Most people did not watch him so George Lopez drew (crickets) on the Nielsen ratings.The bottom line is whether the entertainer draws an audience. George didn't have it so sooo' long George.

August 11 2011 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dreadlover

Could it be the ratings are also falling due to people unable to afford cable tv and having to go back to the old oocal channels? Kinda made me wonder that when she said Conan's show is also losing ratings.

August 11 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAN SEEDS

I agree with T REXX for sure. George go live in Mexico if you don't think America is Great I am sure they will like you down there ! If your going to live in America you need to b an AMERICAN and support America

August 11 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
macias4

Whoever wrote that george needs to go so because he supports illegal aliens. Need to Watch you tongue! All these MEXICANS/LATIIN AMERICANS....1st, 2nd and 3rd generations............CAME HERE SOMEHOW! We are started to become ............THE MAJORITY................IDIOT! PURE IDIOT!

August 11 2011 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
macias4

I'd rather watch GEORGE OVER CONNAN...Any NIGHT!

August 11 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T REXX

what should he do next....no you don't me to answer that ..the racist enjoy your vacation

August 11 2011 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T REXX

george has always been a racist glad to see him go

August 11 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
charleyvldm9

Being shoved to midnight was a sign that you're on your way out,your Spanish viewers are all asleep,no way for TBS to make money with ads. Conan is next.

August 11 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply