August 28, 2014

'The Talk' Loses Hosts Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete

by Maggie Furlong, posted Aug 15th 2011 8:40PM
Leah Remini & Holly Robinson PeetePeople are certainly talking about 'The Talk,' but it's not necessarily a good thing.

A few weeks back, rumors swirled that Sharon Osbourne would be leaving 'The Talk.' While Osbourne herself told us she was just taking a little break to spend time with her husband Ozzy, it looks like the same can't be said for two of her co-hosts.

Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete are reportedly not returning to CBS' daytime chat show for its second season.

According to Deadline and sources close to production, the talk show will be undergoing several changes next year. Contract options were renewed for series creator and co-host Sara Gilbert and her fellow 'Talk'-ers Julie Chen (who's married to CBS boss man Les Moonves) and Sharon Osbourne.

The options for Remini and Peete were not picked up, though there's no word yet on whether they'll remain with the show in a more limited capacity.

If this latest news is true, it'll mean that half of the show's original co-hosts have vacated their chairs or been let go. Marissa Jaret Winokur, the first of the original six co-hosts to jump ship, left the show in January. According to producers, that change was "a mutual decision based on time, not talent." We're wondering if that's the case here as well.

With very strong ratings, the 'View' knockoff averages over 2+ million viewers an episode, and they also just came off their strongest month since February. So why the changes now?

Realistically, with more daytime talk show competition on the way, being a steadily-performing hit just might not be good enough. (Note: While their numbers are strong for the genre, 'The Talk''s ratings are still significantly lower than their predecessor, 'As the World Turns.')

Also, with recognizable talent already announced for ABC's new daytime talk shows 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' (both also replacing soap operas -- 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' respectively), this could just be a play to upgrade hosts.

Then again, the departing hosts might not be replaced at all. To cut costs, the show could survive with the three remaining co-hosts by bringing in a rotating group of guest co-hosts. 'The Talk' has already experimented with having someone new sit in, with Kelly Osbourne keeping her mom's seat warm this season while she pulled double-duty for 'America's Got Talent.'

We'll update this story as we know more ...

What do you think? Will you miss Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete? And who would you like to see replace them?

hughes

I watch the talk every day except the last ten minutes when they start to cook it makes me sick to watch Shirl underwood shove food in her face day after day week after week. The other women don't eat if they do it's very little.at the end of the program when the say it's time to have the talk her mouth is so full of food I think she's going to choke. She thinks it funny I think it's gross. I like the show. But tell her to knock it off .eat when she gets home.when nobody can see her please.

May 12 2014 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MilkyC

I truly MISS Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sara Gilbert is Boring, I know who Sharon Norwood is and I like her but I rather see the two that they removed still!!!!!!!!! I loved Leah realness and Holly's honestly....This has to be some ego's crap because the show was working!!!!!!!!!!

October 11 2012 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzan Rasey

A noticeable difference, in the show just not as versatile as it was! not as funny or interesting either. leah and holly brought a certinkind of sharing that was unique and real... too bad.

September 26 2012 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

yes I do miss them. I must say I sorta banned the show for a few weeks after, but the new co-hosts are also very good.

September 24 2012 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

September 24 2012 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

big mistake... you should always do what's best for the show, not your egos

May 22 2012 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zee

IM upset...i was watching the show because I like the both of them. I stopped watching cuz I didnt see them. like Julie, Sharon and love Sara...but I loved them too...sorry...not to much of a fan anymore. I can still watch Julie on Big Brothers

April 12 2012 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherrymartolock

Hi,
I really enjoyed THE TALK and taped it faithfully everyday to watch in the evening, but when the show replaced Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete with other co-hosts I stopped watching. I was so shocked and disappointed.
Leah & Holly made the show (along with Julie, Lady O and Sara) with their daily reactions to certain topics and Leah was so outspoken. All the girls honesty and self confessions about themselves was real and refreshing to watch. All the girls seemed to have great chemistry together..The new girls on now are just not interesting enough or bring anything to the show like Leah and Holly...You never knew what to expect from the show and that's why it was so good..... Leah & Holly you are greatly missed....

March 21 2012 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buchanan

I used to watch The Talk everyday. When Leah and Holly were taken off I watched once to see how it would be but have not watched it since. Bring them back PLEASE!!!!

March 18 2012 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonita

I would like to see Leah and Holly back. Maybe it will happen.

March 14 2012 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply