October 25, 2014

Will 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Edit Scenes of Abuse in Armstrong Marriage?

by Maggie Furlong, posted Aug 16th 2011 3:30PM
Taylor and Russell ArmstrongBravo has been promoting Season 2 of the 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' (premieres Mon., Sept. 5, 10PM ET) with very sensitive footage of a fragile and emotionally broken Taylor Armstrong, dealing with her marital issues and alleged abuse by her then-husband Russell.

Reacting to today's very sad news that Russell Armstrong committed suicide last night, after the dissolution of their marriage and his abusive actions were so publicly reported, Bravo removed their drama-filled Season 2 online promo.

It was the right choice. No matter what happened between the two of them, the last thing anyone wants rehashed in a time of grief is the emotional inciting incident.

But what about the actual show? How much -- if at all -- will Bravo edit the episodes to exclude the late Russell Armstrong and his admitted spousal abuse? And how much should they edit?

At NBC Universal's TCA party a couple of weeks ago, Taylor was there with her self-proclaimed "gay husband," a male best friend of hers for years who she said was "her rock" during the tough times she's been going through. Russell was not in attendance.

When I pressed her for how much of the abuse would be shown in Season 2, she coyly replied, "Well you'll have to watch and see ... but it's really not easy to watch."

The question is, is it right to show a now-deceased man, who was obviously battling some demons, while he was at his lowest point? Or should Bravo memorialize Russell, go back to the editing room and gloss over the specifics of their marital problems?

Taylor filed for divorce from Russell, 47, in July after claiming he physically abused her. The two had a 5-year-old daughter together named Kennedy.

"I felt like I was dying inside," Taylor told People about her marriage. "Now, there's some sense of peace."

"Did I push her? Yes, maybe things happened in the heat of the moment, but it was during a time in our lives that was not characteristic of who we were," Russell told People in July. "This show has literally pushed us to the limit."

No one from Bravo returned our request for a comment, but we'll update this post if we hear any more. For now, what do you think is the right thing for the show to do?

concreteangelfe

I'm sorry the men is dead but you all need to think that he also agreed to do the show, he was not that inocent. Russull was an adult and nobody forced him to do th eshow. I alway knew that behaing that fake man was a lot of controling and domestic violence in that marriage, now he is dead and everyone is blaming Taylor. Now that he is dead, he is the best men in the world. It takes two to "Tango" and definally he participated in this dance. I think that he kill himself because he was in deep debt and was hidding lots of financial problems, he was a jerk to Taylor and was never a good parent for their daughter. Look at the past episodes and you will see he never spend time with his kid. Just because he is dead, now nobody wants to show what a horrible men he was, he kill himself for gods sakeyou really need to show what Tylor went throught so other people can recognize domestic violence. He did this to himself, what a cower way to go insted of dealing with his problems he took an easy way out. He could care less about all his children but that's because now that he is dead little by little we will find out everything he hid for a long time. Hitting a women is not acceptable even if she is a gold digger or a bad women, nobody deserves to be treated that way. Wven in the end he showed the world and his family he did not care about anybody but himself.

August 20 2011 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen

His family told bravo if they mention his name on the show,or show anything about him they are going to sue them..taylor was shown walking out of the place where she had him cremated all upset, with a full fur coat over her head. PHONY....

August 19 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amygrace1204

I thought the birthday party Taylor had for her toddler was the most absurd waste of money I have ever seen, not to mention that the child clearly HATED the whole thing. It was obviously an opportunity for Taylor to "show off" to her friends and never meant to be something her daughter would love. Having said that, everyone seems to be entirely negative on Taylor and saying "her love dried up when the money did". On the flip side, maybe she took the job to appear on the show to bring in some needed income into their home. Doing the show might have been her way of contributing rather than expecting her husband to bring in all the money so that she could spend it. Just another way of looking at the situation......

August 19 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to amygrace1204's comment
urbancowgirl

she went on the show to satisfy her own ego and to get attention ... i doubt it was for the money ... obviously this is a self centered woman and you nailed it when you mentioned how the child's birthday party was an event for her to show off - i'm sure her daughter would have been happier at chucky cheese !!! if she appeared on real housewifes to help the family financially, she spent more than she earned on clothes, parties, etc. to keep up with her much wealthier counterparts so i doubt if it didn't actually put them deeper in debt.

August 19 2011 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbims

This program should not be airred period! If it is, it would just demonstrate the greed of Bravo and of the Beverly Hills Housewives!

Danielle, I always felt sorry for you and the way the New Jersey Housewives treated you. I never felt you deserved any of their bad behaviour. I think it is laughable that Caroline has a talk show on advice because everything this woman says she isn't she is. She does try to run the show so to speak, run the family and steps beyond her bonderies, stirs up trouble! I CANNOT STAND THAT WOMAN NOR HER FAMILY!

August 19 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deonmc

We have seen one family go bankrupt ,was this due to expections of reality tv fans? Now we have seen a man hang himself. If I am not mistaken he made a comment about being on the reality show. Knowing they had financial problems and thinking back to a birthday party that cost 60,000 for a 4 year old ,makes me wonder if the party was for the child or to impress. I am know looking at these reality shows in a different light.. Yes,I watched but not anymore. While watching a reunion show I was shocked that one woman that has a drinking problem would attack anothers children. That is going too far.

August 19 2011 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punch1224

I don't know what he saw in her. She looks plastic! It's a dam shame! He seemed like such a nice guy that could have had a lot going for him if he just gave his divorce some time. He would probably have found a wonderful woman that loved him for him! I hate that show anyway! It makes you want to throw up watching these women along with their families make asses of themselves on national television! So sad what our society gets a thrill out of watching these days!

August 19 2011 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathyg1949

She looks so damn fake to me. Everytime I log on AOL and see that gigantic FAKE smile, it makes me want to gag. Is that REALLY reality? How much plastic surgery? Sorry, but I'll pass on ALL of it. These people are phony and
they can have their so-called lifestyle. Watched the show once and just shook my head. Wish they'd take her damn
picture off the welcome screen.

August 19 2011 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbann1

Never got a straight answer. Is Adrienne Maloof the godmother or not?

August 18 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark1stone

I am a watcher of the show, and my heart cries for Taylor. However, if you agree to a reality show, it should be real. Out of respect for Russell, I think some editing should be done, however I don't think the abuse should be glossed over or left out. This is a strong message for all women that abuse is not acceptable and that there are alternatives. All of the money in the world won't make you happy if you are being abused. Her wealthy friends and her own family weren't able to help her and the demons that Russell had.

August 18 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
QUEEN B

Someone has lost their life now. This is the "reality" of "reality" t.v. Maybe this is the wakeup call we all needed to stop watching and therefore stop contributing to this garbage that inevitably ended in tragedy! The sad part is the ratings will probably go through the roof and Bravo will make a ton of cash off of this guy giving up his life.
What has this world come to??

August 18 2011 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply