October 25, 2014

'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills': Taylor Armstrong's Husband Said Pressures of Cameras Were 'Overwhelming'

by Chris Harnick, posted Aug 17th 2011 2:05PM
Taylor, Russell ArmstrongPrior to his apparent suicide, 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' star Taylor Armstrong's husband said he felt the pressures of being a reality TV husband.

In an interview with People, Russell, who hanged himself on Aug. 15, revealed the pressures of a crumbling marriage and financial problems got to be too much, especially when coupled with TV cameras.

"It got really overwhelming," Russell told People a few weeks before his death. "When you get a TV show involved and all the pressure, it just takes it to a whole new level. ... We were pushed to extremes."

Russell's death comes a month after his wife, Taylor, filed for divorce and claimed Russell was physically abusive. However, the Bravo reality star isn't the first to come forward. Records from 1997 reveal Russell was arrested for engaging in a physical altercation with his then-wife, Barbara Frederickson. Reports also surfaced that Russell abused their son, Aiden.

Frederickson filed two restraining orders against Armstrong. After the first restraining order and 1997 arrest, he was given probation for three years, and ordered to attend weekly anger management sessions for a year and perform 50 hours of community service.

Frederickson told RadarOnline.com that she thinks Taylor is to blame for the suicide.

"She's not who she says she is and I told him to please be careful with this woman ... I warned him! She's bad news and she drove him into this," she told Radar.

In 2005, Russell reportedly filed for bankruptcy after he wasn't able to pay a $48,000 balance on his American Express card.

"Each month was a challenge for him to cover their lifestyle," Ronald Richards, Russell's attorney, told People. "Russell was in a lot of debt and he had legal problems. His credit cards were used up."

'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 2 was supposed to premiere on Mon., Sept. 5 at 9PM, but Bravo may delay the start to re-edit the series. Look for official word soon.

Bw

I think taylor is a rich want to be and used her husband towards this goal. She Put them deeper into debt
and playing the victim at the same time. Unfortunately her husband was the victim. Can't stand this woman!

January 02 2012 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bw

i think taylor is a fake. she's a wonabe rich and famous and unfortunately pushed her husband too far with the money card. she plays a victim. it makes me sick!

January 02 2012 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fancyfee

Well now she admits she was abused. If you watched how he acted towards her on the show you could already tell she was being abused. Funny how she was so ready to take Kim out back and give her on old-fashioned Oklahoma beat down. It's funny how when women are abused they want to be tough with other women but not with that man who is hitting on them. I don't feel any pity for her because she was letting that money rule her because she came from a poor lifestyle she would rather be sore and pile on make up to hide the bruises so she could keep shopping rather than leave that mess. People claim it's hard to walk away from abuse, I don't think so just pack your stuff and don't look back where there's a will there's a way. And ladies if he beat the girlfriend before you he is going to beat you too....either learn to fight back or leave

September 14 2011 at 7:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Fancyfee's comment
hippiechick

You know ITA! I don't believe in abuse. IF she was being abused she should have stopped going on and on about how she missed him and couldn't do it. Instead she got wrecked every minute she could. Also, if they were having $$$ problems, why the hell did she spend $40,000.00 on a birthday party for her daughter who obviously wanted a "NORMAL" birthday party? Like the one Kyle threw for Portia.

November 02 2011 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lldpi

this reality show disgusts me. A man has committed suicide because of it's exploitation and Taylor wanting be a want a be star and rich person. Now that I'm reading the facts on the bankruptcy, the $1.5 million they used of investors money to live this phony life style is so over the top, I can't put into words. All I can think about is the Birthday Party thrown for $60,000.00, AND SHE DIDN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY, but the phony did it any way. She really needs to look deep down into her soul and figure out why she became this way. Also, Bravo, you need to stop filming all this phoniness, every Houswife City has a couple or person in Bankrupcty, yet they still live in the fancy houses, by $1,000.00 pairs of shoes and throw extravagant parties, Bravo, this is not real life, especially in this economy. Taylor and Russell were using other peoples money to live this fake life, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD? Andy Cohen is also a part of this phoniness. Doesn't he do his homework. In the beginning of their reunion, he talks about how rich they all are, bull crap, didn't he know Russell filed bankruptcy, and that Taylor and Russell were using investor money to live, these peop[le weren't even close to being millionaires, but Andy made it sound like it. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN A PART OF THIS SHAM, NOW A MAN IS DEAD, IF I WERE HIS KIDS I WOULD SUE THE LIPS OFF TAYLOR AND THE PINK SOCKS OFF ANDY COHEN, AND BRAVO YOU TOO.

August 19 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
REDHEADEVY

I BELIEVE THAT TAYLOR WAS AN OUTSIDER WITH THE WIVES. TO KEEP UP APPEARANCES, SHE HAD A $60,000 BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR A 4 YR. OLD. HE WAS HANGING (NO OFFENCE) BY HIS FINGERNAILS BECAUSE HE WAS SO IN DEBT. POOR SOUL. WAS HE ABUSIVE? MAYBE,BUT HE WAS DRIVEN TO DO THIS..THERE IS NO INSURANCE FOR SUICIDE,SO TAYLOR WILL NOW HAVE TO FACE THE FUTURE WITH OR WITHOUT HER :FRIENDS:. GOOD LUCK IN THAT DEPARTMENT.

August 19 2011 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fornerisj

tempiejoy - thank you for your kind words. I am married and was married before; which was an abusive relationship. I learned a lot about myself an others from that relationship. Most of all, I was one of the lucky ones who got out before something tragic happened and then was able to find a man that treats meet like gold. I also do watch the show from time to time. Sometimes these woman frustrate me like they do many others viewers and I understand some of their frustrations. You are correct, there are many woman that are not socialites the need the empathy more than just the ones being forecasted all over the media.

August 18 2011 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fornerisj's comment
jglalone

What? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

August 18 2011 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fornerisj

No one knows the real truth behind a couples marriage and break up of a marriage except for them. Therefore, let's not forget to have sympathy that a man has passed on and all the loved ones are left behind to suffer in one way or another. Because they are suffering, they tend to place blame, when a death like this occurs, to allow themselves to have an answer to this tragic situation. Instead of placing blame when we are only reading what others have to say in this situation, let's remember that everyone close to this man is suffering and need to be consoled, not ridiculed for what people believe is the reason a person may have committed suicide. Only that person really knows what was going on in their head when they made the decision to end their life.

August 18 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fornerisj's comment
tempiejoy

fornerisj I think you are truely a genuine person for your thoughtful comment. I don't know if you watch the show or not, or are even married. But just think about it....When you take vows and you are committed, it is till death do you part, and I don't think that includes suicide. If you look at women who have been abused, they are a lot of timesthey are truley scared for their lives and their children's lives. Some even have to relocate and change their identities, just for safety measures. I don't believe a truley abused woman would do lunch at an exclusive restaraunt sippin martini's and talk about her marital problems in front of millions of viewers. Women who are healthy committed marriages will admit in a 5 year marriage arguments and disagreements do get heated, because you know what, it is a learning process, it is still new. That what we VOW to BETTER or FOR WORSE....That is how you wether the storm. We tend to want to empathize with people and give them the benefit of the doubt, because we want to be good natured people. I think it is pretty safe to say if one is being abused, when asked about it you will not say "watch next season and see what happens". This is tragic beyond all means. I think people are voicing their opinion against Taylor and people like that because they are fed up with socialites and there so called life issues. People in the world have real lives, and real situations, like being abused and women will be killed within the next hour from domestic abuse. Those are the people who deserve empathy... However I do agree that all that are close Rusell and his family need to be consoled... it is tragic. You are special person for your good natured comment.

August 18 2011 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
enbgrannee

FROM THE FIRST MOMENT I SAW TAYLOR ARMSTRONG I DIDNOT LIKE HER. SHE IS A GOLD DIGGER, A BACK STABBER, AND PRETEN DS TO BE SOMEONE SHE IS NOT. I AGREE WITH RUSSELL'S FIRST WIFE - SHE IS TROUBLE BIG TIME. I BLAME HER FOR RUSSELL'S DEATH. LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST FIX HER LIPS SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE GOT CAUGHT ON A ICE CUBE. IF THEY WANT THE SHOW TO BE A SUCCESS - GET RID OF HER.

August 18 2011 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jill

She kind of looks like an alien grey but without the grey skin....very non human looking...

August 18 2011 at 5:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
socaldave613

Sad to see someone in such pain that suicide is thier last option. I do hope he did not cancel his life insurance just to show family what a real trajedy is.

August 18 2011 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to socaldave613's comment
inspxnsteve

i dont think they pay out for suicide

August 18 2011 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
socialiteshopper

There is NO life insurance payments when you commit suicide, life insurance only covers natural and accidental death, not suicide. The millions in debt their lifestyle caused now is passed fully on to Taylor because they did not get a divorce before he killed himself.

August 18 2011 at 2:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply