September 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Todd Wants the Cameras Off When Rex Suffers an Asthma Attack on 'Downsized' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 17th 2011 12:23AM
'Downsized'Reality got a little too real for Todd Bruce on 'Downsized' (Tue., 9PM ET on WE) when son Rex started suffering from a severe asthma attack. After calling for an ambulance, he turned to the cameras and asked that they be turned off.

"Guys, I don't think we need to take this any further," he told them. "I'm serious. If we can put the cameras down."

The cameras were back on by the time the paramedics arrived, but Todd's moment is reminiscent of other times reality families have shut the cameras off for more serious moments. It certainly pulls you out of the illusion of this heightened reality we're watching, making you as aware of the cameras invading these moments as the family must be at all times.

We'd imagine old pros like the Kardashians and Roloffs reach a point where they don't even notice the cameras any more, and certainly the young people on a lot of these reality shows relish the chance to be on camera.

But the Bruce family is relatively new to this game, and there comes a time where you realize that family is what's really important. Not trying to create entertainment for a television audience.

Even though the Bruce family is trying to shed light on the reality of our economic times and its impact on average American families, a medical emergency has nothing to do with that, unless of course we're talking about the financial costs and insurance issues.

But all of that can be covered after Rex is stabilized, so we applaud Todd for attempting to keep his focus where it belongs and the cameras where they don't.

mel_nedrick

O_o I cant see the vid? is there a link to it?

December 29 2012 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan

I hope he will be okay i also grew up with asthma and I knw how it feels to act like its okay but gets out of control

August 20 2011 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

My guess is Dillion is dealing and Rex is addicited to drugs. Sorry just my call

August 17 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to krenier1's comment
sachfoxo

Get off the Board Idiot .

August 17 2011 at 4:23 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

yea guess I was typing to fast to spell correctly, who hasn't let's see if I perhaps might be right on the drug thing with Rex. I hope the Hell I am wrong along with a few spelling mistakes.Not sure the show will admit though, unless this family wants to step up to the plate.

August 17 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

I'm guessing Rex may never had a Asthma problem, but may be drug related. I watched the show with him an a quick puff on the inhaler, and didn't so that right. Then seemed ok in the truck when Dillon came with the food an drinks, seemed to have no problen what so ever until some time after he got home. That does not seem right here. I would question Dillion here, he seems like the one that is out of control, and thinks he is the funniest one out of the family. Would even question if he wasn't dealing?? Oh boy I hope I am wrong but I smell a rat.

August 17 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

While Rex is hospitalized, perhaps we need to do some drug testing. Not so sure this is quite an Asthma attack. Has he been in the medicine cabinet and taking Mom's meds. I mean lot's of stress going on here in the family. This where the beauty of Labs come in, and through blood tests don't lie.

ER Docs and personal will determine what is really going on and are not stupid. So not so sure we want to play the Asthma Card here Rex. They will get down to the bottom of this. I personally think something else is going on. Just my opinion folks, but then i probably need more education right JB?

August 17 2011 at 2:25 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

I am just signing off with this note. Drugs and Alcohol NEVER mix with MEDICIATIONS.

August 17 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to krenier1's comment
huegreckshun

and they don't mix with "Media-cations" either kid was prolly tipping cuz of the b.s. goin on around him

August 17 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

Let's see first responder and first aid. Let me guess Red Cross. Well I to have had Red Cross training too 25 years ago. Took many ,even advanced First Aid as well as becomming a Swimming instructor

August 17 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

Are you talking first responder with like the Red Cross? Or are you with a Fire Dept.?

August 17 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
krenier1

Yea I know what COPD and Asthma are. Oh also I was married to a Pharmacist as well. So there maybe some education here, perhaps next time you visit you Pharmacist, might want to ask him. Inhalers are wonderful, most know when they are having attacks and don't wai't till the last minute to call ambulances. Those people that can see the signs do something before all hell breaks loose.

August 17 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply