August 31, 2014

Fall TV Critics Roundtable: Best New Comedy (VIDEO)

by Maggie Furlong, posted Aug 22nd 2011 12:00PM
The best part about the fast-approaching fall TV season isn't just previewing and reviewing the new series and interviewing the shows' stars -- it's catching up with the biggest, most respected critics from across the country to get their take on the shows as well.

So we thought we'd start the debate. During the recent Television Critics Association (TCA) press tour, I gathered a group of fellow critics and turned on the cameras while we talked all about the best and worst of fall TV.

Fall TV Critics Roundtable: Best New Comedy

I've split our chat into five insightful videos, and we'll be posting a new one here on AOL TV everyday this week -- best new comedy, best new drama (posting Tuesday), worst new show (Wednesday), star we're happiest to see on TV (Thursday) and returning show we're most excited for (Friday) -- so keep checking back for more.

Right now, join me and HitFix.com's Alan Sepinwall, Melanie McFarland from IMDb TV, Damian Holbrook of TV Guide Magazine and AOL TV's own Mo Ryan to get our honest take on today's topic: Best new comedy.

Tell us: Which new comedy are you most excited for?

Sourabh

New Girl and Up All Night are the ones I'm rooting for. Although I don't expect to laugh much during either.

August 23 2011 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I was hoping Apartment 23 would get on your lists, or does it not count because it doesn't air in September?

I've seen the trailer many times and it still gives me a good amount of laughs.

August 22 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donnie

I'm greedy, the video was too short, but I liked it. I was wondering what you thought of Suburgatory, because that was the comedy pilot that sounded the most promising to me, okay maybe it sounded promising, because I like Jeremy Sisto, Allie Grant and Alan Tudyk a lot.

August 22 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donnie's comment
Maggie Furlong

Haha - maybe we'll run just 10 minutes of outtakes after all the videos are posted. ;) I actually really liked Suburgatory, and it was probably #2 or #3 on my (short) list of favorite comedies, but no one picked it as their #1. Still def worth checking out though!

August 22 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Maggie Furlong's comment
Donnie

Thanks for the reply. Good to know, of course even if the pilot is good, it doesn't really say anything about the show, but I'm intrigued for the time being.

August 23 2011 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down