October 31, 2014

Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank Dies at 77

by Jean Bentley, posted Aug 23rd 2011 2:25PM
Uncle FrankFrank Potenza, Jimmy Kimmel's uncle who frequently appeared on his nephew's late-night talk show 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!,' died this morning at 77, according to the AP.

ABC confirmed the news in a statement, saying Uncle Frank was "beloved by his co-workers and considered an uncle to all. His kindness and humor will be missed by everyone he touched."

Potenza was a New York City cop for 20 years before becoming a security guard in Las Vegas (and personal security guard to Frank Sinatra) and Manhattan. He moved to Los Angeles when his nephew hired him for a new gig as security guard/commentator on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!.'

According to Potenza's bio on ABC's site, he only arrested six people during his two decades as a cop. He enjoyed "cake and ice cream, walking, and spending time with his family," and was married to Kimmel's Aunt Chippy for 28 years -- he even bought a burial plot next to her after their divorce.

Since 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' is on hiatus until September, there is no immediate plan for an on-air tribute, the AP reports.

Tell us: Will you miss Uncle Frank?

Watch Uncle Frank in action below.

geerodarce5

Jimmy Kimmel: I really liked you when you worked for Ben Stein. BUT you were led astray by the liberal A-Holes in Hollywood and became a conduit for their demonizing ways; otherwise you probably wouldn't have a job if you didn't kowtow to their nasty ways. Did you showed "genuine" emotion when your Uncle Frank Died? Or was it Hollywood phoney? Too bad you didn't knoiw that even liberals' friends and family members DIE. The only problems with liberals like you you don't know if trhe grief is sincere or phoney. Too bad about Frank; I really liked him, but I'm 76 and I probably will meet him soon and then I'll find out if he thinks you really are a liberal Hollywod *******.

November 08 2011 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara J. Lewis

What was the orgin of Uncle Frank"s death?

September 07 2011 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
big cee

Rest in peace uncle Frank! Heaven just got a new security gaurd.

September 07 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DREAMS COME TRUE

everything - rip uncle frank x0x0x0x

September 07 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sweet Leilani

Rest in peace Uncle Frank. Heaven just gained an "ANGEL" !!!
You'll be missed !

September 07 2011 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janetbaugh

MY MOTHER AND I WILL MISS UNCLE FRANK. WE WILL KEEP UNCLE FRANK IN OUR PRAYERS. WE ARE SO VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. MY MOTHER AND I ARE GOING TO LAS VEGAS ON OCTOBER 17 -21. WE ARE SEEING SHADES OF SINTRA SO WE WILL TRIBUTE A SONG FOR UNCLE FRANK IN MEMORY OF HIM. WITH SYMPATHY FROM THE BAUGHMAN FAMILY

September 07 2011 at 11:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wingding55

GOD BLESS HIS SOUL I ALWAYAS LIKED HIM give jimmy the comfort for his loss dear GOD

August 24 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leosgirl

I will miss Uncle Frank more than I can tell you. His spots on the show alone, with Jimmy or Guillermo were priceless. My husband and I were very sorry to hear about the news and will look forward to a lengthy "Uncle Frank Tribute" when the show resumes new shows in September. So sorry for your loss to Jimmy, Aunt Chippy and all the rest of the family and friends who will miss him.

August 24 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stephen

Sorry Jimmy,
I wiil miss Uncle Frank . Thank You for letting me meet him! Steve W.

August 24 2011 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jesso

DEAR Jimmy & Family;
i sure will MISS uncle Frank, and his antics on the show.. i loved him. love u too JIMMY..My Condolences on your loss. What a funny guy, he always made me laugh. i just wanted to reach into the TV & hug him.. RIP, Uncle Frank ! you had lotsa fans who will dearly miss you..
xxoo's