October 22, 2014

Jon Cryer Dishes On Charlie Sheen-less 'Two and a Half Men'

by Jean Bentley, posted Aug 29th 2011 11:40AM
Two and a Half MenAlthough Chuck Lorre would probably love to leave Charlie Sheen behind as quickly as possible once 'Two and a Half Men' returns, remaining star Jon Cryer says the death of Sheen's character, Charlie Harper, is something the show will address all season long.

Cryer told Entertainment Weekly in an interview, "The history of the show does not go away at all," despite Sheen's absence. "It will be dealt with all through the first season. It's not, 'Oh, that character's gone, let's forget completely about him.' There will be ramifications all through the season. We're not taking this into a new universe where the first show didn't exist."

'Two and a Half Men' is a lot more secretive than it has been in the past, but Cryer said he is taking it in stride. "It's funny because everybody is signing nondisclosure agreements," he said to EW. "The scripts go out with watermarks and every script gets handed to you personally by somebody from the show. They're being super secretive. And that's all new, the show has never functioned like that before."

So, any news on what will happen to Cryer's character, Alan? "What isn't new is they've never told me what my character is going to go through," he said. "They've cryptically hinted at stuff. One of the characters will be institutionalized, but they don't say which character or what kind of institution. I don't mind that because to me that feels like life -- you never know what's going to happen next. And God knows last year proved that to me."

Although the mood on-set was tense during the first episode, Cryer said Ashton Kutcher, who is joining the series as broken-hearted Internet billionaire Walden Schmidt, cracked the tension with his easygoing attitude -- and a masseuse. Plus, Kutcher's ginormous trailer has turned into an on-set hangout.

"I have been in what I refer to as the U.S.S. Yorktown," Cryer told EW. "What's great about it is it provides shade -- for most of the studio lot. He had told me early on that he was going to get an enormous trailer. It's a fun place to hang out for us and anybody on the crew -- he has an open-door policy. He's got almost a club upstairs -- yeah, that's right, I said upstairs. He pipes music out before and after the shows and everybody hangs out. It creates a great vibe."

Kutcher, who is now one of TV's highest-paid stars, obviously fits in well on the show, Cryer said. "Working with Ashton is a blast," he told EW. "He's clearly a guy who missed doing sitcoms quite a bit. He just lights up on show night. It's a lot of fun for he and I because we have to discover what works between us, and he's game for anything. There's already -- lines have been crossed already that probably never should have been crossed, as you'll see in the first episode."

Tell us: Are you looking forward to a Sheen-less 'Two and a Half Men'?

More:

David Silver

charlie sheen merely came into work and read his lines. the quality of the show lies in the writers hands, who are sharp, clever, witty, sexual, and hilarious. i have no doubt in my mind that this show will continue to be a success, and you all need to relax and just wait for the first episode to make a solid decision about what you think

September 05 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patriciaaellis

Charlie Sheen was two and a half men. To kill him off is to kill the show. If they marry him off and he travels somewhere that would be more palletable but I think the show is headed for disaster by killing him off. They could say he got drunk and was lost at sea since he lives on the coast. Regardless of what he said, he's made everybody rich on that show iespecially and ncluding the producer sand directors. The producer should have had a thicker skin, he's acting worse than Charlie and he's being vindictive by killng him off., This way there is no going back. and he doesn't have to back down. Grow up men and let Charlie get lost or fade away, I won't watch it now because you've killed him off. He was the best there's no one like him.o

August 30 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
chicagocubs84

I loves me some Berta.....

August 30 2011 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
normababy

no i most likely will not watch this show im a charlie fan watched forever on channel 29/11/5 where ever it came on

August 30 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hola!

Now it will be three half men.

August 30 2011 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hola!'s comment
Lawrence G

No, 2 halfs and 1 reject from the 70's show

August 30 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lila and Jim

Before Charlie Sheen stopped the show cold, it really was getting absurd! That is, the situation with Rose ... before that the scripts had become stupidly raunchy ... Hope the forthcoming scripts with A.S. will be on the clever/funny side -- not the raunchy uchie type!!

August 30 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeff B

Why does AK get to move into the house?

August 30 2011 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dobie

All of the ''cast'' should be killed off, except the kid.

The other 3 bozos, can come back as 'dogs'...

Charlie Sheen :A Horny Standard Poodle with a bad "jones' for women and drugs, drinks a lot of beer and has a bad attitude.

John Cryer: A Beagle, with self esteem and abandonment issues, frequently digs out of the yard, and finally come out as being ''gay''.

Ashton Kutcher: Who's "Ashton Kutcher?"

The 'Kid' KNOWS these people have come back as 'dogs', and still communicates with them.

The dogs, (which they will use instead of the actors), will have their voices, and mannerisms, but only in a dog body.

I think it could work.

August 30 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lavonharrisparis

Since Charlie will be a reoccuring theme this season, why not have him appear as a ghost? He could come back and offer his stinging commentary about their problems and provide some of his wicked humor. I can see him wearing a toga and smoking a cigarette.......

August 30 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katdog841

No, I am not looking forward to this show in any way. I don't understand why they are paying Kutcher so much - when they don't even know if his role will be acceptable to the fans. I have watched this show since the very beginning and Charlie was the main story line, no matter what else was happening. I HOPE those writers get a very good feeling when they are killing Charlie in such a dispicable way!! I am not the only one who doesn't even want to watch it ever again. Whatever Charlie is doing I hope it comes opposite 2 1/2 men....LOL

August 30 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to katdog841's comment
fallsham

absolutely will not watch it it is so lame,,,the first show turned me off hope charlie does come up with a show opposite, everyone will watch it

November 02 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply