September 20, 2014

Russell Armstrong's Mom Blasts Bravo For Not Delaying 'Real Housewives' Premiere: 'Let's Not Murder My Son Twice'

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 1st 2011 10:35AM
Russell & Taylor ArmstrongRussell Armstrong's mother, John Ann Hotchkiss, had harsh words for Bravo regarding the network's decision to proceed as planned with 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 2 premiere on Mon., Sept. 5 at 9PM ET.

"When I was informed of this, I thought, 'I hope Bravo will take the high road and keep it tasteful,'" she said in a statement. "Let's not murder my son twice."

Russell, estranged husband to 'Real Housewives' star Taylor Armstrong, hanged himself on Aug. 15. Since then, Bravo has confirmed they will re-edit the season, but not delay the premiere.

"Re-editing of the episodes is still underway," Frances Berwick, president of Bravo Media, said in a statement. "Bravo has partnered with the Entertainment Industries Council, Inc. to raise awareness about suicide prevention. The network will air various PSAs during the 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.' We will also provide additional information and resources on Bravotv.com, including the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline."

Early trailers for the new season showed a very fragile Taylor dealing with her crumbling marriage. Taylor filed for divorce in July, claiming Russell had abused her.

Hotchkiss places blame on the show for her son's death.

"What bothered me the most, I think, is on the program itself -- and this is on video -- he would be bashed by some of the other cast members," Hotchkiss told CNN shortly after her son's suicide. "Especially Lisa [Vanderpump], who is a beautiful lady. I just couldn't understand why she would be so unkind to him.

"I know it hurt him deeply, because he would talk to me about it -- never criticizing Taylor, of course," she said. "I would not want him to. The program itself just really brought him down."

Russell was on edge about the new season.

"'Mom, they're just going to crucify me this season,'" Hotchkiss said her son told her. "And he said, 'I don't know what to do. I'll never survive it.'"

Tell us: Do you think Bravo should have delayed the premiere?

waltfarf

I am very sorry for the loss of Mr. Armstrong, I am sorry for the famalies that have a family member commit suicide. I am not sure what happened in this situation. I do have a personal opinion however at this time it is not important . There is only one person that can be blamed for this and he is no longer here. I think pointing fingers on who could have prevented is a waste of time. I really do believe if we all started to be kind to one another we would not have as many suicides.

September 06 2011 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
softballlovr

I am an avid "Housewives" watcher. I don't understand why anyone cares why a very disturbed man killed himself. He beat his wife! So much to the point of her needing her cheek bone reconstructed. And are we not forgetting, this stupid jerk DID NOT have to appear on the show?! There have been other husbands who opted out of being on the show. So this was very real, for the victim (the wife) and who cares if Bravo airs anything about him. Maybe they should show how horrible he was, and then show Prevention Commercials for Domestic Abuse, not for suicide! Who cares if he's gone!!!

September 02 2011 at 11:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
grignani

How many people have survived wars, serious diseases ,etc ?... And this man could'nt survive a silly reality show. Million people have to deal with a divorce and financial problems every day, and start from scratch on several occasions during a lifetime. Bravo didn't ask for an scene in wich he had to hang himself...that was his own choise. This family wanted to be on TV and expose themselves, now they don't want to deal with the negative consequences coming with fame. If his mother really want respect and privacy at this moment she needs to stop talking constatly to the media to create new headlines for herself and the memory of a son that didn't care for her pain or shame at the end of his life. Is she another clown wanting to join the circus?

September 02 2011 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pemcdona

russell armstrong did not get paid to be on the show, but rather did it to support his wife. only the wives get paid. still it's a suicide and that's sad, so we should wish his family the best.

September 02 2011 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rollertrix

Interesting how he and his wife signed on with the show but once he started losing his money and couldn't live up the FAKE lifestyle he was trying to portray, it wasn't fun anymore. This guy beat his wife, beat his ex's, was a big phoney but somehow BRAVO is responsible. I'm sure his family enjoyed seeing him on TV when those checks where coming in. Give is an f'ng break. His mom needs to turn off the TV then or is she just waiting for a payout.

September 01 2011 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seanjayeva

I have to ask: Has anyone ever met any REAL housewives who are ANYTHING like the clowns on these shows?? Maybe its somebodiy's fantasy to act like nasty spoiled fake-breasted bitches. But no one I know. And I would not want any of them as my wife. Apparently he reached the same conclusion.

September 01 2011 at 6:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kvh32055

You know, screw her and the horse she rode in on. I think most peoples heart went out to the entire family when his sucicide was on the news initially, now weeks later she is pulling this crap? I mean how long has this POS show been on the air, one season? The guy was depressed because he couldn't manage his business or money. Apparently not stepping up and acting like an adult really runs in that family.

September 01 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
paulsgal916

I have to agree with Russell's mother. I think it to be in very poor judgment for Bravo to go on with the show at all, let alone postpone it. I am getting so tired of all of the Real Housewives also, they are not real and are just so full of themselves.

September 01 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
seanjayeva

This type of so-called reality show is extremely destructive. You would have to be an idiot to be involved. Real life is too hard to have your dirtly laundry and faults paraded around on TV. Very sorry the guy is dead, but its no real surprise now, is it?

September 01 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to seanjayeva's comment
kvh32055

No, it's no surprise and why the hell should it be to anyone else, including the idiots that are in the show. They all KNEW what would happen when they signed on. What a bunch of ********. Personally I wish they drop the entire serice and put something decent on in thier time slots

September 01 2011 at 4:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cwg0804

Needless to say...wont be watching at all. A few times was more than enough . My "Real Life and Real Family" are more important. But, I am very sad for the family and friends.. and would like to share this quote..

Favorite quote:
Working for God on earth does not pay much, but his retirement plan is out of this world.

September 01 2011 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply