September 1, 2014

Stacey Dash Quits 'Single Ladies,' Spike Lee HBO Boxing Drama Nabs Lead & More TV Casting News

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 1st 2011 11:00AM
Stacey Dash'Clueless' star Stacey Dash is leaving her VH1 show, 'Single Ladies,' after one season.

The actress played fashion boutique owner Val on the scripted series.

"I have to be back in L.A. with my children right now and the 'Single Ladies' shooting location [in Atlanta] makes this impossible," Dash said in a statement. "I wish VH1 the best of luck with the show in maintaining the strong fan base we developed in Season 1."

VH1 issued a statement saying they respect Dash's decision and thanked her for her hard work on the series.

In other TV casting news ...

* Spike Lee's boxing drama pilot for HBO has found its lead. 'Attack the Block' actor John Boyega will play the main character in 'Da Brick,' an 18-year-old who must navigate the world after his release from juvenile detention. [Deadline]

* 'CSI: NY' has picked up two of fall's most in-demand guest stars. Justin Bruening, who's already booked a role on 'Ringer,' and Robbie Amell, who will recur on 'Revenge,' will appear in the Oct. 21 episode of the CBS procedural as brothers involved in a murder investigation. [TVLine]

* Tiffany Hines is adding to her arsenal of tough girl characters. The actress, who played Division agent Jaden on 'Nikita' last season, will recur on '90210' as a police officer. [THR]

* The U.K. is putting together its panel of judges/mentors for its own version of 'The Voice.' Rumor has it that Charlotte Church will be among them, not Cheryl Cole, who many suspected would join the show after her U.S. 'X Factor' debacle. Nothing is official, however. [New! Magazine]

No-nonsense Chick

First thing first, Y do most of the forumists so blind and unfair? How can one sit in front of their PCs and write rubbish about this lady,,,,,,,,,,,, she is a clueless and no soo not a good actress bla blah,,,, Damn,,u pple, give the gal a break,,,she is really good and knows her onions,,,,,,,,,,,,, btw good luck Val in whatever you do, it was your decision, and its your life, so who are we to judge?

Anyways, good luck to my favourite characters that's Keisha and Malcolm as well as Val,,,, Good luck and the show goes on,,,, Can"t wait for the 2nd season

?

October 08 2011 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coco

Stacy fealt uncomtable with the gay stuff pushed on her, your career is over if you say anything about gays. Times have changed. I all ready know some of my spelling is wrong, but understand the message.

September 04 2011 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kinduhshook

Dash only had one memorable movie role and that was the mid 1990s comedy "Clueless" so to quit a show when you're not even on Hollywood's radar is puzzling !

September 03 2011 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovely2922

wow! Stacey Dash FINALLY got a role playing a adult and she backs out!! what a AIR HEAD!! She barely gets great acting gigs and she fails to keep this AWESOME gig!!

She a spoiled semi-adult brat!! so DISSAPOINTED in her actions! well she is a DV "victim" so maybe those punches to the head knocked some screw out! lol!

I am certain the show will go on and keep up the same momentum the first season did.

September 03 2011 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Polk Salad Annie

Right on for Stacey Dash. Most people in Hollyweird are spoiled, self-absorbed narcissists. I think if you pick up your shovel and dig a little deeper this whole thing was probably Lisa Raye-related. I watched Raye's reality show twice and I walked away thinking this is one of the most obnoxious, self-centered people I've ever seen. Why would any sane, mentally healthy and decent man find her attractive? And I would wager working with Raye on an underwhelming show like "Single Ladies" would be as exciting as clipping your toenails; hence, Dash wanting to get the hell out before she sold out. Sure, Raye is pretty to look at but so is a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings...My money is on Stacey Dash. Though no one will confuse her with Cicely Tyson or Angela Bassett, Dash seems as beautiful on the inside as well as on the outside.

September 03 2011 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WilBarn99

Something went sour behind the scenes. Stacy could have just moved her kids to Atlanta and went back home during vacations. She is no spring chicken. Let's see what she do next?

September 03 2011 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbdoright

She is thinking of her children? Yeah right...have you noticed most of the smut and slut on that show. Not to mention the acting is horrible...

September 03 2011 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Starbeauty728sj

Ok....I heard a rumor about this a month ago. Interesting turn of events. There's gotta be something more to this I agree. Honestly I liked the show however, I found the overall acting from all the ladies kinda stiff. Stacey sounded like she was readng from an invisible script. I think she had a chance to see herself and she saw how plastic she was on film. She didn't feel natural in the role. All of the men on the show seemed to flow really great...but all of the ladies seemed to be trying to hard to play their roles. The words didn't seem to flow naturally from Stacey. Maybe its the way words were written, maybe not. I thought the storylines were good...maybe a different actress might kick it up a notch and different flow of actors might make this work. When I saw first it, I could imagine my own circle of girlfriends in some of these situtations. Sorry, not too upset about the move. Still want to see the show work....take it up a notch...sex in the city ladies

September 03 2011 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wrreportinglive

For what that show is and how it is -- being kind of campy, and overly-posterizing, it worked. But it will not work with Stacey Dash gone since "Val" and her store is the central meeting place. And yeah, c'mon, why would she leave the show due to the location in Atlanta? She knew that early on when the show was cast and she was to star --so there appears to be some behind the scenes crap with egos and insecurities. It'll be hard now for the show to continue. Dash is fine and Ray is as well -- but I like the blondie --she's a credible actress.

September 03 2011 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
falcon38a

Good for her...putting family first! That is great.

September 03 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply