July 25, 2014

'All My Children' Drama: Susan Lucci Blasts ABC Exec for Cancellation

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 3rd 2011 4:00PM
All My Children, Susan LucciWith only three weeks of 'All My Children' left to go in the soap opera's legendary 41-year run, the show's stars are finally starting to speak out. Susan Lucci blasts ABC daytime exec Brian Frons in an epilogue to the upcoming paperback edition of her book, 'All My Life,' saying "I watched Brian Frons' decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country."

According to the New York Post, which obtained text from the epilogue, Lucci's criticisms weren't limited to Frons' business decisions -- she also says that Frons appeared "self-congratulatory" when he informed the 'AMC' cast of the decision to cancel the long-running soap, and that he "has what, for me, is that fatal combination of ignorance and arrogance. I cannot fathom any network executive choosing to alienate millions of loyal viewers in these economic times."

Don't think that this is the first time Frons will hear of Lucci's discontent. The star says she personally told him, "I think our being in this position is the result of some very bad decisions by you," including the hiring of Chuck Pratt as head writer in 2008, moving the show to Los Angeles from new York, and getting rid of creator Agnes Nixon.

Speaking of Nixon, the 'AMC' creator promises that there will not be any lack of drama in the series' broadcast finale, especially since she'll continue with the show as a consultant when it moves online. She told the Chicago Tribune, "We're going to have a hiatus, you know, for three months. And the head of Prospect Park [the production company taking over the shows] said, 'We've got to have a big cliffhanger for that three months.' And so I came up with one which I can't tell you. But they loved it."

So tell us: Will you continue watching when 'AMC' moves online? And do you think Susan Lucci was right in criticizing Brian Frons?

jrwjohn

I can't believe they had all those people move to California and then they cancelled the show!

November 02 2011 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy Beatrice

SHAME ON YOU FOR CANCELING ALL MY CHILDREN AND PUTTING A COOKING SHOW ON, LIKE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM. HOW ARE YOUR RATINGS NOW, NOBODY IS WATCHING THAT COOKING SHOW. BRING BACK ALL MY CHILDREN. ALL MY FACEBOOK FANS PLEASE BOYCOTT ABC LETS NOT WATCH ANYTHING ON ABC UNTIL THEY BRING AMC BACK.

October 14 2011 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane goose

Simone,
You are so right about the seniors and people of all ages that are ill not being able to watch AMC on-line. For alot of people this is their outside world. I started with the soaps as a child when I was home sick.

October 01 2011 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simone

OF COURSE Susan was right to blast Brian Frons!! The man is an arrogant idiot! He couldn't care less how many people he devastated as long as HIS job and salary stayed intact. I can't believe ABC hasn't fired that jerk yet. My opinion and respect for ABC is now gone. I read Susan's words on the paperback version of her new book and she did a great job telling her fans exactly what happened as she knew it. I'm disappointed though at her decision not to return as Erica Kane for the online version of AMC. I hope she reconsiders. Pine Valley won't be the same without her. I'm hoping some television or cable network makes the wise decision to broadcast AMC at some point for the people who don't have access to a computer. There are many senior citizens who can't watch online and that's sad to me. I have watched a few CHEW episodes just to see what ABC replaced our AMC with and it was not great. It's just another food show and I believe it will not make it in the ratings. Brian Frons, the most hated man in America should pay for his HUGE mistake!! I hope Karma comes around and bites him in the ass.'

October 01 2011 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane goose

I miss AMC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fire Fron NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Get rid of the third rate cooking show.

September 30 2011 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
careynich

I can't wait for AMC Online!! I've been watching the show since I was 12 years old.. I'm devastated by its' cancellation- Yes Susan was absolutely, 100% right to Criticize Brian Frons!

September 29 2011 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aquins3

I'M GOING THROUGH ALL MY CHILDREN WITHDRALS!
I can't believe they took it off the air.I grew up watching this. Why they have to put a new food show on abc is beyond me.They have two food network channels Which i love to watch. However they don't even have enough new shows to fill those channels they show a lot of repeats.As much as i love watching food shows i well not be watching the chew ever. I am a loyal all my children fan and can't wait till it starts up in January on line. i wish another network would put them on!!

September 29 2011 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane goose

Nancy I live in so calif and I feel like its part of where I live. I can only hope Mr. F gets his.

Anyone know the ratings for (the chew) bad I bet.

September 28 2011 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Yep, I agree with what Susan said to Frons. And yep, another food show? I thought that's why we had the food network. If you need to watch people cooking, go there. I cannot believe an iconic show like this was taken off the air. What was anyone who had to do with that decision thinking, really?!? And obviously, they didn't care what the loyal fans thought either because if they did and even did a very unscientific poll, they would have found out that we did NOT want this show taken off television. No matter what, I so looked forward to my 1:00 hour every weekday to enjoy an escape so to speak and see what was going on in Pine Valley. Being from PA, it really made it feel like it was a town not too far from me, no matter how fictional it was. And those actors and actresses who I grew up watching, Michael Knight, Susan Lucci just to name a couple, I got to feel a bond that only other loyal fans could relate to. Boo to this decision...and I'm being nice. Thanks Susan for saying what many of us would like to relate to these higher up decision makers.

September 28 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane goose

Sure would like to know ratings for yet another FOOD SHOW. Ugh!

September 27 2011 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply