December 20, 2014

Ellen Pompeo Says She'll Stay on 'Grey's Anatomy' if She's Wanted

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 6th 2011 7:20AM
Ellen PompeoIt seems as though behind-the-scenes contract wrangling is continuing to dog ABC medical drama 'Grey's Anatomy.'

Earlier this summer Patrick Dempsey seemed confused as to whether McDreamy's coming or going, and now Ellen Pompeo says she could be persuaded to stay on after the upcoming season 8.

Pompeo told TV Guide that she's open to the idea of continuing to play Meredith, but that her contract will soon expire and no one's actually asked her to stay on. "I would love the opportunity to discuss it," she says.

"I would never turn up my nose at 'Grey's.' ... If I hear from the fans that they want us to keep going, then I would continue because we owe them everything."

She added that "I know Shonda Rhimes has said the show will continue, but I wouldn't presume that they want to continue with me. You don't get dressed for the party if you don't have an invitation."

Several members of the 'Grey's' cast -- including Sandra Oh -- have contracts expiring at the end of Season 8 and right now it's all still up in the air. It's possible that there could be a mass exodus, but it's also possible that some of them will be renewed. It's also possible that creator Rimes could call time on the drama.

Grey's has survived losing stars such as Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight in the past, and Kate Walsh left to star in the spin-off drama, 'Private Practice.' Pompeo told TV Guide that if Oh left it could create some good on-screen drama: "It might be an interesting story for Meredith to have to deal with losing Cristina."

Pompeo had previously said that she probably wouldn't extend her contract, and Chyler Leigh -- who, of course, plays her character's sister, Lexie Grey -- hinted that she would be willing to step up to the plate in her place.

Earlier this summer Dempsey was reported as telling Italian 'Vanity Fair' that Season 8 would be his last on 'Grey's,' only for his rep to then clarify matters, explaining that when Dempsey said "It's gonna be my last. ... For me it's done," what he really meant was: "He was referring to the fact that his contract is up at the end of next season and we have no idea what the future holds."

Rimes has stayed mum so far on who'd make the roster for a 'Grey's' Season 9, but one thing's certain: The next round of contract negotiations could well turn up a few surprises for cast members and fans alike.

'Grey's Anatomy' Season 8 premieres Thursday, Sept. 22, 9PM ET on ABC.

#eamgreysanatomy

No no no everyone stays and no one leaves...we already lost too many people and I wont be able to take it if we loosr anymore...especialy the way everyone on the show leaves..i love this show so it has to stay the way it is

January 28 2012 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel Moore

everything that cldwllj8 said.........dont kill the grey's anatomy king & queen we have lost enough of you already. IZZY, GEORGE, & EVEN DR. BURKE. PATRICK AND ELLEN DON'T JOIN EVERYONE ELSE STAY & KEEP ME ENTERTAINED PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 27 2011 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cldwllj8

If Derek and Meridith break up, I am done, I will not renew my contract. I guess if he insists on quiting you could kill him off. I might stay then, although I doubt it, Patrick needs to stay and Meridith needs to have a baby with Derek. That would bring people back, you are being very negative with those two this season and that is probably why the ratings are down. After the last show last season and the first couple this season I was ready to quit., but you kind of got them back together. They need to be solid. The rest of the cast and break up and be back together or whatever, but Derek and Meridith have been through too much together. KEEP THEM TOGETHER.. Please Patrick DONT LEAVE.

November 16 2011 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rea-Rea

this show is great. dont mess it up. the old staff are the foundation just build on it . we watch the show because we like the cast. lets continue to watch them grow and fall and grow again. keep the old cast they are what made the show.

September 28 2011 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reeree8487

I LOVE MERIDITH AND DERYK. I WANT THEM BOTH TO STAY! GREYS IS MY FAVORITE SHOW.

September 27 2011 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barbsc61

i hope that merideth and mc dreamy stay and that GREY'S lives on beyond the 8th 9th 10th seasons yet to come i look forward to this show weekly

September 21 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caitysess

I love that show and im only 12 if it ended i would be soo MAD. The people who say its stupid or not interesting anymore are wrong the more episodes the more interesting it is. ME and my sister and friend havent missed 1 episode. It cant end it has to go on and on.

September 12 2011 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Who cares, the show jumped the shark a long time ago.

September 09 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Concerned Citizen

I didn't even know the show was still on the air. Do people still watch it?

September 08 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
delmun

It would be a shame to leave the devoted audience of Grey's Anatomy wondering what will happen with Meridith and the baby and Derek's hiding. More has to be written about the research project regarding Alzeimers and if Meridith ruined it. Christina and Meridith have to deal with Christina's pregnancy and helping with the baby. Come on!
If this is the last season then focus on the principal characters and their futures.

September 07 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply