April 16, 2014

Susan Lucci Explains Why She Added Scathing Chapter to Memoir

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 6th 2011 1:30PM
Susan LucciSusan Lucci has added a juicy new chapter to her memoir, slamming ABC daytime executive Brian Frons for canceling 'All My Children.' "I watched Brian Frons' decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country," she wrote.

But why did the Emmy-winning actress do it? Her publisher, HarperCollins, asked her to.

"The book had gone to print well before the cancellation and they felt my story wasn't complete without my response to the show going off the air," Lucci told TV Guide Magazine. "They wanted my honest and raw reaction to it. At first I didn't know what to say or even think. I was so upset and angry and stunned that my eyeballs were spinning in my head. But I sat down with my co-writer, Laura Morton, and we talked it through. And it is indeed raw. Very raw."

The new chapter is included in the paperback edition of Lucci's memoir 'All My Life,' on shelves Sept. 13.

'All My Children' leaves ABC on Fri., Sept. 23, being replaced by 'The Chew,' a food and lifestyle program, on Mon., Sept. 26. The historic soap moves online in early 2012 and may even wind up on cable. Before the finale, many former 'AMC' stars, including Carol Burnett and Sarah Michelle Gellar, will return to Pine Valley.

Lucci has not said whether or not she'll remain with the series after it migrates.

"I wake up in the middle of the night and this cancellation still seems so surreal," Lucci told TV Guide. "Is it really over? How could ABC have let us go like this for a cooking show?"

Tell us: Will you pick up a copy to read the full chapter?

maureen

I had been with AMC since it started. I think back in the day if I remember correctly soaps use to last 15 minutes. They would squeeze 2 in a half an hour time frame. But anyway it saddens me to loose approx. 40 years of devotion like this.... to yet another food show. How many of those things do we need. I for one will not be watching the one on ABC. The soaps were a long standiing tradition in my family. I watched with my mom and my kids watched with me. When we were working day shifts and had to miss they would be taped, tivod, or dvr'd. and watched together at the end of a stressful day. There is still time...Save OLTL. Let us keep the family traditions going.

October 04 2011 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindydggr

I am so upset about the cancelling of AMC. I have watched this show for years. I can't believe it is being replaced by a cooking show. Put that show on the "Food Network". Why is ABC keeping GH? AMC has alot better story lines.
I will NOT watch that stupid food show. I hope it bombs out.

Cindy - A VERY UPSET FAN!

September 07 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
TVDIVA

Susan Lucci had a wonderful job that lasted decades. As times change (fewer people watching daytime TV), networks have to make adjustments to survive. ABC cancelling the show was a business move. Unfortunately, when it affects people, they take it personally. The good news is at 66, Susan Lucci looks good and can get other acting jobs. I wish her the best of luck.

September 07 2011 at 9:36 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
reentry

I have watched AMC off and on for many years. If I was working, I'd watch at lunch time. Then at night when they ran it then. Now I copy it on VCR and watch before I go to sleep at night. It's part of my day. No, I won't watch Chew or anything else they replace it with. Now I'm retired so I also watch One Life to Live. I don't know who that Brian Frons is but he's a @#$ jerk as far as I'm concerned. This is a sad time for a whole lot of people. Young and old. ABC is at the bottom of my list now. This summer I have only watched TNT & USA. No ABC!!

September 06 2011 at 7:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
missmissylk

I agree with Susan, she is AMC, sometimes is drags, but its a great get away after I get home from a stressful day. I was so bummed when I heard the show is cancelled. The best part of the show now is the story line with Hunky Hawyward bringing back the dead, between him, Zack, and Griff, its like having desert with no calories. I for one, hope the show and Susan dont go.

September 06 2011 at 7:54 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
sam

Like most people I will not watch the new shows that ABC puts on in place of All My Children and One Life To Live. There really isn't much to watch on any of the three networks. They should have waited to see how people would react to the shows cancellations. So for thier ratings yes I hope they go way down.

September 06 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
bjwalden

I like NCIS, and NCIS LOS ANGELAS,, LAW AND ORDER,ECT, NEVER SOAP OPERAS.

September 06 2011 at 7:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bjwalden

never was enterested in soap operas and still don't care for them. taa daa

September 06 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
bjwalden

I did not watch it before and have no desirer to do so now.

September 06 2011 at 7:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
DianaAlbanese

I WILL DEFINITELY GET THE PAPERBACK TO READ THE NEW CHAPTER.. I REFUSE TO WATCH THE CHEW, I HOPE IT FAILS

September 06 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply