July 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jimmy Kimmel Gives Emotional Tribute to His Late Uncle Frank (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Sep 7th 2011 10:00AM

Jimmy Kimmel's late Uncle Frank Potenza may be gone, but he's certainly not forgotten. Last night on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live,' Kimmel gave an emotional, tearful tribute to his uncle, who passed away August 23 at the age of 77.

Potenza, known on the show simply as Uncle Frank, was a constant presence on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live,' where he worked as a security guard, commentator and occasional red carpet interviewer. He was a willing, good-natured participant in the show's comedy bits and was always smiling, even when he was the butt of a joke.

Kimmel fought through tears -- and cracked a few jokes -- during a monologue that eulogized his beloved uncle. He remembered his Uncle Frank as a New York City cop of 20 years who only made six arrests, a man who would always show up 12 hours early for anything, had been a personal bodyguard for Frank Sinatra and moved their family to Las Vegas when Kimmel was a kid.

He thanked the audience for "letting me put my crazy Uncle on television" before airing a montage, set to Sinatra's 'My Way,' that featured some of Uncle Frank's most memorable moments on the show. Check out the video tribute to Uncle Frank after the jump.

Reuben

I always wanted a fun loving crazy uncle...but unfortunately had 3 drunken criminals for uncles...BUT luckily for my nieces and nephews they have a out of his head free spirited fun loving Uncle, and I only hope when my time comes I can be remembered as warmly. RIP Uncle Frank.

October 24 2011 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucille

I NEVER MET UNCLE FRANK PERSONALLY, BUT HEARD MANY THINGS, ALL GOOD, ABOUT HIM FROM OUR FRIENDS FRANK AND LORAINE. I AM SO VERY SORRY JIMMY AND THE REST OF YOUR FAMILY FOR YOUR BIG LOSS. MAY HE WALK WITH GOD AND WATCH OVER ALL OF YOU ALWAYS.
LUCY AND ARTIE

September 10 2011 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JERSEY BOCA GIRL

You will be missed so much Uncle Frank., God Bless and now the angels are watching over you and Jimmy.

September 08 2011 at 4:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

R.i.p uncle Frank

September 08 2011 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Water Miracle

How can you NOT Love this guy? He displayed a heart of Gold. He had the New York Spirit and loved life. I will miss him. Uncle Frank is one of those men not IN my life that I will never forget. Thank you Jimmy Kimmel. You had one of the best!

September 07 2011 at 10:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Patty

You could tell he was a wonderful man and Jimmy I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing him with us. RIP Uncle Frank

September 07 2011 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deirdre

i loved him i didnt really know he died until know i need my tv back

September 07 2011 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia A Neglio

I loved Uncle Frank what a great person to have in the family. never a dull moment

September 07 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunscreen35

thank you uncle Frank, thank you Jimmy, for sharing him with us, I'll miss him.

September 07 2011 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi Ginny

Thanks to the Kimmel family for sharing their uncle with the world!!! I never had an uncle, but
always wished I had one like your Frank.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Smiling thru my tears...

September 07 2011 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply