December 22, 2014

Schweddy Balls Ice Cream: Yes, It's Real!

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 7th 2011 8:15PM
Schweddy Balls'Saturday Night Live' fans, you better make some room in your freezer. Ben and Jerry's has officially announced the launch of Schweddy Balls ice cream. Yes, an ice cream flavor based on the fan-favorite 'SNL' Delicious Dish skit featuring Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer and Alec Baldwin.

"For a long time, I thought that 'Here Lies Pete Schweddy' would end up on my tombstone," Baldwin said in a statement. "Now, thanks to Ben & Jerry's, the goodness of the Schweddy family recipe won't go with me to the great beyond."

In the classic sketch, Shannon and Gasteyer played NPR hosts. Baldwin played Pete Schweddy, a baker.

The flavor, which was rumored to be in the works in June, will be available nationwide. It features Fair Trade vanilla ice cream -- with a hint of rum -- fudge covered rum balls and milk chocolate malt balls.

"The Schweddy Balls sketch was a personal favorite from my 'SNL' run, so I am pleased as holiday punch that Ben and Jerry's has taken it upon themselves to share the Schweddy Family recipe with the world. As a person and a performer, I am a sucker for holiday balls. And I have no doubt this ice cream will cause many to scream 'Good Times,'" Gasteyer said in a statement.

Watch the classic sketch below.

Alec Baldwin hosts the 'Saturday Night Live' Season 37 premiere, Sept. 24, 11:30PM ET on NBC

R L

Big deal....
I was at the store today and I see Cox Candy has a new sucker out...........................................

September 22 2011 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ted Scott

this skit was not even humorous to begin with..i saw it when it originally showed.,stupid and silly yes..funny no

September 14 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Santosmami

Loove it!!! Remember the skit crystal clear :)

September 09 2011 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean Carrion

hardly ever watch saturday night live, but wouldn't you know, watched the skit a long time ago for "sweaty balls" and then Sam was working on "sweaty balls", really didn't know if this was believable or a coincidence. told a few people about "sweaty balls", but they think i'm a little looney as usual. gran'ma jean carrion

September 09 2011 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phlox Skye

I can't wait to lick those Schweddy Balls.

September 08 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roy

I hope noone complains that they're too salty.

September 08 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neutronman69

It's already Barney Frank's favorite.

September 08 2011 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelseyrayevanall

OhMyGosh. That's ******* amazing. ♥ It's just too perfect.[':

September 08 2011 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cutepoohbear192

hahahahaha! this is great lmfao

September 08 2011 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arn

They should've gone with South Park's "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls".

September 08 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply