December 20, 2014

NBC's Andrea Mitchell Announces On Air That She Has Breast Cancer

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 8th 2011 8:30AM
Andrea MitchellAndrea Mitchell stunned viewers Wednesday when she announced live on-air that she has breast cancer.

Mitchell, who is NBC's chief foreign affairs correspondent, revealed the news at the end of her MSNBC show, 'Andrea Mitchell Reports.'

"And now a personal note, or how I spent my summer vacation: I had planned to be hiking in Wyoming last week," Mitchell said, "but instead discovered that I am now among the one in eight women in this country -- incredibly, one in eight -- who've had breast cancer."

Fortunately, said Mitchell, the cancer has been caught at an early stage. "Mine was discovered during my annual screening just a short time ago. Luckily for me, I'm one of the fortunate ones. We discovered it in the earliest stage, it had not spread, and I'm already back at work with a terrific prognosis."

Early stage breast cancer can often be symptomless and Mitchell urged female viewers to go and get screened: "For you women out there and for the men who love you, screening matters. Do it. This disease can be completely curable if you find it, at the right time."

Mitchell has been the Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent for NBC News since November 1994. She previously served as Chief White House Correspondent and Chief Congressional Correspondent.

Signing off, Mitchell said, "I'll see all of you tomorrow."

Information about breast cancer detection, treatment and support can be found online at The National Cancer Institute and The Susan G. Komen Foundation.

'Andrea Mitchell Reports' airs weekdays, 1PM ET on MSNBC.

evecaren

Andrea Mitchell is a very courageous woman. Imagine revealing on national televison that she had breast cancer.
Thank goodness her cancer was caught in its early stage and she has recovered and is now a cancer survivor.
God bless you, Andrea in your healing process.

September 09 2011 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corsandova

9.6.11
I am happy to hear that your prognosis is a good one and that you are able to return to work.
I had breast cancer in the year 2000 and mine was caught in the very early stages. It is really
important to have check-ups, and hopefully everyone who is diagnosed with cancer can prevent
it from spreading to the lymph nodes and other parts of the body. Good luck Andrea, I hope you
continue in good health. I will keep you in my prayers. The technology continues to get better and
better, and it does seem that new studies are proving to be very promising for cancer patients in the
future.

September 08 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcebal6852

keep the faith cancer servivor

September 08 2011 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
occhurchpastor

I really wish some of these wingnuts would just keep their negative comments to their selves. What it boils down to is someone we know has cancer, if it were your mother, relative or friend you would hopefully have the compassion to be willing to support that person, no matter what their political or social views may be. You get in life what you give, so should you expect the same level of compassion when bad news comes your way?

September 08 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
occhurchpastor

Praying for Andrea, WE LOVE YOU !!!!!!

September 08 2011 at 4:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
anayacarme

How do you go to the Dr with no insurance. I keep hearing "see your doctor" but I can't pay for it and and I'm not eligible for Medical and too young for Medicare. It's the 50-65 age group that is uninsurable (w/o paying 600.00 per month) for private insurance.

September 08 2011 at 4:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anayacarme's comment
occhurchpastor

I have been a hospital chaplain for over 10 years, the only ones I have ever seen that were turned away from medicade were those that had the money to pay for their own treatment. Maybe your just talking to the right people.

September 08 2011 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flower

And so? Sorry but everyday people get the diagnosis. Just because she is supposedly famous does not make her special. Three members of my family have had the same diagnosis but they did not make news, they just went into treatment and at this time are in remission.

September 08 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I don't particularly care for Andrea Mitchell, but wish her well.

September 08 2011 at 4:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Robyn Deatrick

You Keep on Fighting Andrea and I'm sorry to herar that you have you breast cancer and I'm glad it was discovered at the early stage. Thank God I wish you well. Keep On FIghting Andrea I will pray for you.

September 08 2011 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mebecarl

Cancer is cancer. It doesn't care about gender. I'm a prostate cancer survivor. Like you, caught it early and took the appropriate steps . Keep in touch with your doctors, and urge your family and friends to follow the guidelines for check-ups. And don't EVER let any of them (doctors) suggest or talk you into "watchful waiting". My brother's best man tried that approach; it didn't work, cause cancer doesn't usually take "friendly vacations". Good luck to you.

September 08 2011 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply