October 21, 2014

Ryan O'Neal Slams Oprah, Says Reconciliation With Tatum Was Just For TV

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 8th 2011 10:30AM
Ryan and Tatum O'NealRyan and Tatum O'Neal's happy ending at the end of 'Ryan and Tatum: The O'Neals' wasn't all that real, according to Ryan.

Ryan told TV Guide Magazine the show hurt -- instead of helped -- his relationship with Tatum. He said the two are no longer speaking.

"We only reconciled on the show," he told the magazine. "Not in life. In fact, we're further apart now than we were when we started the show. So thanks, Oprah, for all your help."

The show on Oprah Winfrey's network, OWN, followed Tatum moving home to Los Angeles to reconcile with her estranged father, Ryan. In conjunction with the series, Tatum released a memoir, 'Found: A Daughter's Journey Home.'

After starring in several films together -- including 'Paper Moon' -- Ryan and Tatum were estranged for more than 25 years. In her 2004 autobiography 'A Paper Life,' Tatum alleged sexual abuse by a male friend of her father's and physical and emotional abuse from Ryan.

After battling drug addictions for years, Tatum wrote the alleged abuse from her father caused her to turn to drug use. At the time, Ryan released this statement: "It is a sad day when malicious lies are told in order to become a 'best-seller'."

In June 2011, Ryan went on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' and said Tatum and his family drama caused Farah Fawcett's cancer.

"There was turmoil during my love affair with Farrah, a lot of it caused by my family, by my kids, all of them, but particularly Tatum," he said. "And I just think if she had never met us, would she still be alive today? Because nobody knows what causes cancer, do they?"

Watch a clip from 'The O'Neals' season finale, which aired in August, below.

Janet

KEEP BUYING YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS AND RENEW YOUR BOBBLE HEAD MEMBERSHIP, RYAN IS A GOOD AND DECENT PERSON, TATUM HAD AND STILL HAS PROBLEMS ALL OF WHICH ARE NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS..

July 10 2012 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orchid

Terrible parents; terrible children; vicious cycle with no one contributing anything worthwhile to society.
All are self-indulgent burdens to everyone.

May 02 2012 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curious

Ryan's and Farrah's abuse of Human Growth Hormones caused their cancer not Tatum.

May 02 2012 at 11:05 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
chaunceytanner

Tatum is better off putting her relationship with Ryan on the self. She can exist without him. She should focus on her relationships with her own children. As it appears she has repeated the same mistakes her father made. It would be more worthy of her time to stop the madness around her life so her children won't feel the same way about her. We all make mistakes as parents, but it is also our responsibility to work towards real change. At 49 years old she may already know this, but life goes on and having the forgiveness of your children is a huge gift.

May 02 2012 at 7:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Korie

This guy is nuts. I read Tatum's book and yes she does bad mouth Ryan but she doesn't make herself out to be an angel either. Ryan should be happy because Oprah put him on t.v. in the first place and that people even want to interview him or talk about him. He hasn't been cast in a movie in a very long time and this is why, because he is difficult. From what I hear, he could of been a hollywood legend and still be acting today like De Niro, or Nicholson but he's a dick and noone wants to deal with him.

May 01 2012 at 8:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Laura Gilbertson

As a child I would listen as my mother would tell friends how beautiful my sister was when she was born. I heard how she was so beautiful people wanted to buy her. Me on the other hand, she told the nurses they give her the wrong child. I was so unattractive she asked the priest for a veil to cover my face. When my mother left my father, she took my sister and left me behind. My last conversation with her before she passed last August was her reminiscing about how the night I was born was the most miserable of her life, because my father missed visiting hours and only left a note saying “thank you for my beautiful daughter”. At the age of 12 my 14 year old beautiful brother died because of negligence of the doctors. My mother tried to commit suicide knowing I was the only one in the house. I could go on…. My point is…. Suck it up Tatum! She should fire her therapist. Get one that focuses on letting go!
Ryan could have let someone else raise his children instead he became single father. He did the best he could under the circumstances, not perfect by any means. Tatum had the opportunity of being the parent she always wanted but instead, put her children through similar circumstances as her own. She chose to be a selfish life long victim.
I thank my mother for my life lessons. I grew up not have ego as a companion, my sister craves adulation. I gave my boys unconditional equal love, my sister is repeating with her daughters what I went through. Some people grow being aware and learn, others create a universe that revolves around themselves and are never happy and blame circumstances or others for choices they alone made.

February 01 2012 at 9:49 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Laura Gilbertson's comment
orchid

Great message. At some point, our life is our own!

May 02 2012 at 12:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mcwstrvlt

I can relate with Tatum with having a parent that is addicted to drugs and having a really bad temper. The worst thing is that they pretend that events that took place never even happened! What child would want to make up accusations like that there parent used drugs and beat them. Ryan doesn't want to hear it because he knows he is wrong and what Tatum is saying is true. She needs to wash her hands of this disgusting so called "father" and when he is on his death bed maybe he will want forgiveness from the children that he hurt so bad.

October 06 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda

So it's all Oprah's fault? This guy is as delusional now as he was back when he abandoned two young teens to live with his girlfriend and somehow expected that everything would turn out alright! If the show had been on CBS,ABC,FOX or NBC,would he be blaming the heads of those networks for his failure to reconcile fully with the daughter he abused? He needs to realize that he is the only one that can make amends to Tatum. He should be glad that she is even willing to be in the same room with him after all that he put her through. If it had been me,the sexual abuse by "a friend" alone would have been enough to ensure that I would never want to be around him again.

September 15 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
guy

i will tell you how much ryan oneil is worth , and i answer the same way farrah fawcett did. of all worldly goods and monies i give him exactly what he is worth, NOTHING

September 15 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi Beth

Ryan has never grown up and never taken any responsability for his childen and being a parent.. He was quite the ladies man and the press never reported all the antics that went on at his beach house, he is still getting a pass.

The telling part is ALL of his children by 3 different ladies have had major problems. Tatum and his son by his first wife, Joanna, who had her own addiction problems, are a mess. His second son, Patrick, by Leigh Taylor Young, who took him away from Malibu had his problems, and Redmond by Farah, is the biggest mess of them all.

What does that say about Ryan. You can say you can't blame the parent, but in is case, the blame lies square on him. These now adult children are completely messed up, and it all stems from their childhood, if you can call it that.
Ryan never should have done this show, but he exploited Farah's death and he had not been with her for years before this happened. I wish he would just fade into the woodwork and go away.

The only fault I can see with Oprah, is that she allowed this train wreck of a show, to be put on the air in the first place. Ryan will never see all the problems he has created in life. There is more to being a parent and a husband then just being there part of the time.

September 15 2011 at 10:05 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply