September 17, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

13-Year Old Leigh Takes a Swing at an Officer on 'Beyond Scared Straight' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 9th 2011 1:28AM
'Beyond Scared Straight'You have to give Leigh credit for having guts ... or maybe it's just teenage stupidity and inability to think through consequences. Either way, when an opportunity was handed to her on 'Beyond Scared Straight' (Thu., 10PM ET on A&E) the 13-year old took it immediately.

Being forced to run in place, one of the female officers asked Leigh, "You wanna hit me?"

"Yes ma'am," Leigh answered honestly.

The officers laughed about it, but then the officer in question said, "Hit me if you want to."

Without a moment's hesitation, Leigh took a swing at her, and was immediately taken down, cuffed and sent off for processing.

Another officer asked her if she thought it was a smart thing to do, and she replied, "She said do it if I wanted to, so I did."

Unfortunately, while this particular stint in the 'Scared Straight' program didn't do much to help Leigh's behavior -- we wonder why after this particular display -- one of the officers later got her involved in basketball at a local Boys and Girls Club.

Redirecting her energies into something productive and more positive? That's a solid approach!

usmc1976

great way for the cop to teach a troubled teen,,,,,go on hit me,,,,,how about talking like an adult to the young girl,,,,,,better yet if the young teen was her race then it would have been entertaining

September 10 2011 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

I never would think about having to lock my doors out of fear of my kids, I wouid like to think they never would even think about that out of respect more than fear. But all my kids and step kids know pappy don't play that, if I have to fear you or your anger you are out a here, simple as that. They would not be living with me, it is mutual respect and it is just common sense that no parent or child should have to live in fear.

September 10 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baby Gil

I took my sons to the local Scared Straight in Broward County when they had it. Let me tell you reality is what turned my sons around. They never been to arrested or in jail EVER!!! Some kids need this reality check, and make that change in their life and some no matter what you do nothing is gonna help them. MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT THIS PROGRAM IS WRONG. Ask the parents who have to lock there bedroom doors when they sleep because they fear their own children, ask the parents who children hit them about there fear for the child they carried for 9 months. Ask the parents whom are dead because there child killed them because they wouldn't allow them to have a party. Ask the little rich kids who mommy tell them no they cant have something and then get cussed out like a stranger on the street. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE!!! You didn't give birth to a child thinking they would be disrespectful. They dont say please, thank you, yes mam, yes sir to anyone anymore. Whats happen to our youth/children who will be taking care of us when we get old.

September 10 2011 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gblank1603

Can you people not understand that this was all scripted for TV and is NOT close to being real.

September 10 2011 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindie Wren

Thats Oklahoma girls for ya. I was a badass in my teen years, but not to my elders. I wanted to grow up. I really think the trouble with kids today is, as parents, we aren't able to spank anymore. Not without CPS or someone getting involved. There is a difference in spanking and beating your kids. I got spanked and I have never committed a bad crime. I know kids who didn't get spanked and have committed felonies. Parents need to enforce ALL punishments, no matter what it is. NEVER give in or back down.

September 10 2011 at 7:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
c2t2beau

Luck she didn't ask "You want to Shoot me"

September 10 2011 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mtman233

She got right up in the kids face, daring, provoking, she did what she was told, while the rest of the World finest looked on. I know they enjoy hammering a kid.

September 10 2011 at 6:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mtman233's comment
ehwasp88

While what this young girl did was wrong, it was even more wrong for the officer to provoke and bait her. This is nothing more than entrapment and this "girl" should sue the crap out of the police dept. I try to respect the law, however our "peace keepers" are usually nothing more than a bunch of power hungry antagonists. I wish the girl would have acted more intelligently and called an attorney after the show, however since she was baited, I wish she would have made full contact and knocked that cop out.

September 10 2011 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ehwasp88's comment
Irrenmann

You can't be serious that "hit me if you want to" works as an entrapment defense.

September 10 2011 at 7:44 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down
pslcitizen

Brave but stupid girl. My sons tower over me & know better than not to swing at me.

September 10 2011 at 6:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Nonnie

This is a great show. They do their best to help these kids change their life. Watch the show and and you will see what I mean.

September 10 2011 at 5:48 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nonnie's comment
chevroletman90

yes i watch this show every week,i love what those corrections officers do to try to help..but i guess some kids cant be helped..

September 10 2011 at 6:10 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
ty

She followed a direct order of a police officer, isn't that what you're supposed to do or you face arrest?

September 10 2011 at 3:52 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply