November 23, 2014

Lifetime Cancels 'The Protector'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 9th 2011 5:30AM
'The Protector' S01/E01Bad news for fans of dramas about female cops. It's been announced that Lifetime has pulled the plug on newbie series 'The Protector.'

According to Deadline, the network declined to order a second series after the drama failed to catch fire with audiences.

Originally airing on Sunday nights, 'The Protector' attracted only 1.9 million viewers for its June 12 premiere. It later moved to Mondays after failing to hang onto around 50 percent of its lead-in audience.

Starring Ally Walker ('Sons of Anarchy'), Tisha Campbell-Martin ('Everybody Hates Chris') and Miguel Ferrer ('Crossing Jordan'), 'The Protector' was one of two new drama series launched on Lifetime over the summer.

It follows divorced L.A. Homicide Detective Gloria Sheppard (Walker) who, with her two kids, has recently moved in with her brother. Gloria has a lot on her plate and between juggling the demands of motherhood with solving serious crimes and catching the bad guys, she's a little busy.

Lifetime's other new drama series, 'Against the Wall,' also revolves around the personal and work life of a single female cop. Airing on Sunday nights it has struggled to attract an audience larger than the 1.8 million who tuned in for the July premiere.

Will 'Against the Wall' survive to see a second season? Stay tuned for updates.

The series finale of 'The Protector' is due to air Monday, Sept. 19, 11PM ET on Lifetime.

Karen Smiley

I loved this show and Ally Walker! What the hell Lifetime!

January 04 2012 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

I'm more concerned about the fact that the writer of this article doesn't know the difference between Tisha and Tichina (the actual actress who played in Everybody Hates Chris)...I mean I know they're bff, but that's where the similarities END...lol

October 24 2011 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kasey1969

I am so mad about The Protector being cancelled. What I don't understand is why networks suits think moving programs around with no notice and then cancel the shows when they fail to get the right numbers!!! And yet they show crap like those sisters buying junk!!!! (I don't know the name of it because I don't watch it!!!) The Protector was on Sunday night then Monday and then I couldn't find it! Tonight I'm watching Against the Wall the same one it on two times in a row why couldn't they put The Protector on after the 1st showing??? (Especially when two hours later they are showing the same things - two showings of Against thw Wall!!!) I ke this show also but come on.

October 17 2011 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean Malloy

Shame this show was axed...I enjoyed the stories and the cast but kinda knew when its broadcast timeslot started floating that the end was near. Ratings are a classic excuse used by suits to cover their stupid programming decisions.

September 25 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bugswiglud

Moved to a 11 P.M. time slot would kill any show Yes I watched it and loved it Now lifetime I think it is time to cross you off my watch list

September 25 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy Hudson Coope

That absolutely SUCKS Lifetime!! Thank you for cancelling one of the few shows I enjoy watching!! Guess I won't be watching Lifetime anymore!!!!!!

September 13 2011 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faith

I'm sad to see it go. I enjoy the show and love Ally Walker. I think her and Tisha made a great team.

September 11 2011 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laws for Paws

Like Ally Walker but could never find when the show was on, they just didn't care enough about this show to promote it.

September 09 2011 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shanna McManaway

it never aired after Army Wives let alone on Tuesdays. it aired behind Drop Dead Divas on Sundays,moved to Fridays & ended up on Mondays.

September 09 2011 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shanna McManaway's comment
Grey

Well there you go. With all that shifting and moving, and apparently not even the author of this post not knowing when/where it aired, no wonder it didn’t have an audience – or a chance. :-/

September 09 2011 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grey

I never even heard of this show.

September 09 2011 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply