September 30, 2014

'All My Children' Star Mary Fickett Dies at 83

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 12th 2011 2:05PM
Mary FickettMary Fickett, an original cast member of 'All My Children,' has died. She was 83, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Fickett won the first Emmy given to a daytime actress for her role as nurse Ruth Brent Martin.

Fickett played the character from 1970-1996. She left the series and was replaced by veteran actress Lee Meriwether. After departing the series, Fickett only returned to 'All My Children' once in 2000.

Aside from 'All My Children,' Fickett is known for her roles on 'The Edge of Night' and her Broadway work. She appeared in 'Tea & Sympathy' and was nominated for a Tony in 1958 for playing Eleanor Roosevelt in 'Sunrise at Campobello.'

Fickett and ABC made TV history when the character of Ruth Martin publicly protested the Vietnam War. It was a TV first and earned Fickett her Emmy.

'All My Children' producers will dedicate the Sept. 21 episode to Fickett.

The series goes off ABC on Sept. 23 and will move online in 2012.

More 'All My Children' News:

gibblvr

Daddywalsh and caracaschica you two sound like a couple of brainless idiots. Get the hell off the computer and go grow a brain.

September 21 2011 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gibblvr's comment
kgj230

I totally agree with Daddywalsh, I will not watch ABC at 1:00 like I have since All My Children started. I know these people are not real but I am going to miss them so much. ABC screwed up this time, like we need another stupid talk show, you lost me at 11:00 with The View, now no more 1:00

September 22 2011 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jorczak9

Dearest Mary, please say hello to Ruth Warrick and Louis Edmonds (Phoebe and Professor Wallingford) for me. I miss them a lot along with all the hundreds of actors and actresses who have passed away on this show and One Life To Live over the past 40 years. Someday, I hope to meet you all in Heaven. God Bless and sleep peacefully !

September 15 2011 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caracaschica

daddywalsh , you could NOT be more RIGHT! I will stupid to watch such an idiotic show with people who have no charisma whatsoever
Well said

September 13 2011 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daddywalsh

I doubt anyone who enjoyed AMC will watch The Chew. What a stupid name for a foolish show. I think the sponsors will quickly learn that advertising onThe Chew is not such a great idea and they will find that their products do not sell. I am amazed that ABC could even find sponsors. I have no intention of watching anything on ABC, even night time. They deserve to be boycotted until they figure out how foolish this decision really was.

September 13 2011 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bvieni9

ABC shame on you for taking All My Children off the air !! Everyone needs to boycott ABC sponsors. I, too, will NEVER watch CHEW!!

September 13 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
artjunkie

Fickett was a great actress, and her character was often the calm in the eye of the storm. She has been missed since the day she left the show. My condolances to her family and friends.

September 13 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HI Bob

I am really sad about Mary Picket passing, she was one of my favorites on One Life to Live.
Rest In Peace Mary, from Bob Davis

September 13 2011 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gramsie Evi

I began watching AMC in December 1971 while I nursed my new daughter. When I got a job later in life and didn't have a VCR I only watched during vacations or when I was home sick. Finally got a VCR in 1987 and have been watching ever since. Loved the idea that AMC was on in the evenings if I missed the 1 p.m. slot. I will NEVER watch The Chew. AMC is a great Soap and taking it off the air is a BIG mistake. ABC is too dumb to know what they are doing to their faithful followers. SHAME ON ABC!!! ;-(

September 13 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jewel

ABC , I will not watch your new show THE CHEW! I watched All My Children every night and it wil be missed. Shame on you for the cancellation. Internet?? Everyone needs to lower the ratings even more and not watch ABC. The story lines addressed many problems in our world today. SHAME

September 12 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARLA

Mary Fickett and the others that have passed from AMC, OLTL & GH...you have all brought us such joy and everyday come into our homes. RIP and know that you will never be forgotten and hwen anyone mentions these shows your image will always be first and foremost.
As for cancelling ALC and OLTL..look out GH you and the others are next..with TVO and DVR'samd Soap Network they just don't think we watch anymore. Believe me we watch we just don't want to watch the 'STUPID" commercials. "The Chew" get real..nothing against the cast..if I want to watch another cooking talk show I'll watch Rachel Ray, The View, Ect.....Thanks AMC & OLTL, for all the great years of entertainment...
a