July 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Donna and Her Puppets Discuss Her Hoard on 'Hoarding: Buried Alive' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 12th 2011 3:30AM
'Hoarding: Buried Alive' - 'Overtaken by Puppets'As we've learned countless times on these shows featuring hoarders, the disease doesn't only affect the people suffering with the illness. It affects their loved ones, friends and even their careers.

But we never expected it to impact the puppets, too, as we saw on 'Hoarding: Buried Alive' (Sun., 9PM ET on TLC).

Donna is a retired ventriloquist, and while she was successful in her career years ago, now she is becoming overwhelmed by it. She hoards more than just puppets, but her daughter's room has become the "home" for a growing number of inanimate companions.

It was pretty funny seeing the show feature confessionals from the puppets, until we realized that the puppets were saying about the hoard what Donna had a harder time saying herself. She was using them as a defense mechanism to separate herself from accepting full responsibility for the problem.

Okay, we take it back. That didn't make it any less funny. It just meant that the loneliness and sadness that helped lead to her problem was manifested in her relationship with her puppets. Or maybe she was just cleverly using the show as an opportunity to show that she's still got it, and angle to come out of retirement.

Trish Davison

I wish I had some of her dummies! They're just beautiful!

May 24 2014 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat.gardenhire

Donna Rose says she will not be doing shows anymore. I don't know why. I am an older women who still does puppet shows for children and adults. However, if she isn't I would like to buy a puppet or 2 from her. Does anyone know how to contact her?

August 07 2012 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine

pps...has she ever considered teaching children about becoming a ventriloquist.... I cant stop watching her episode, I really would like to speak with her...Catherine Joyner====I hope someone sees this that knows her

September 20 2011 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine

PS...the show says she lives outside NY, we live in New Paltz NY...I really really would love to speak with her if anyone could help....

September 20 2011 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine

I would love to be able to contact Donna about perhaps buying a puppet. I am on disability and that is the only thing my young son wants for Christmas. I am on a fixed income but I do have a paypal account. If anyone can find away to have her contact me or me contact her I would so greatly appreciate it. My son would take very good care of the puppet and I would love to speak to her privately about why it would mean so much to him. I can be reached at whenthathappen@aol.com or she can call me at 845 256 0353...I know its dangerous to leave my number but it would meant the world to us if we could contact her, Sincerly Catherine Joyner

September 20 2011 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reelgoldstreet22

I actually went to College with her daughter sara and her dorm was kept the same way. Not puppets, but really messy.

September 15 2011 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sage91501

these ppl are nuts. 302 them

September 13 2011 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vi

Oh darn, I missed this particular show. When I do watch "Hoarding Buried Alive", I get an incredible urge to clean every nook and cranny... Never, never could I live like that. These poor people desperately need help! Clean House was a good show. They really 'cleaned house'. But I definitely would lose patience with the ones who wanted to hang on to everything. I'd have to send them off to a mental hospital to get much needed therapy. Then, and only then let them come back to a cleaned house.

September 12 2011 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinus1

Puppets? I bet you don't have the original and first Jim Henson puppets. They were "Wilkins" and "Wonkins." Jim did them for a local coffee company when was trying to pay his tuition at the U. of MD. They are two, very nice hand puppets. I think that the Smithsonian does not even have them in their Henson exhibit. I have a beautiful mint pair that I will sell to you. I want to donate the moneyto a cause I believe in.

September 12 2011 at 5:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pinus1's comment
spaceman34561

you want to give this person MORE puppets?!

September 12 2011 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spaceman34561

Yea. She really needs a lot of help...she probably has severe mental issues. Her son- Jonny seems to be even more scary and pathetic. The fact that he still lives at that house and is a 27 year old LAW student is just creepy.

I hope they get the help they both need as soon as possible.

September 12 2011 at 4:03 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply