April 18, 2014

It's Official: 'Sex and the City' Prequel Series Heading to The CW

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 12th 2011 8:00AM
'The Carrie Diaries'Had a hard time coming to terms with life without 'Sex and the City?' Ever wonder what Carrie wore in high school? If so, great news: The prequel series to 'SATC' is on track to hit TV screens in fall 2012.

Rumors have been swirling all summer, but according to 'Entertainment Weekly' it's a go.

Execs over at The CW are reportedly hammering out the final details on a deal to produce a new series based on 'The Carrie Diaries,' Candace Bushnell's young adult novels about the adventures of the pre-New York Carrie Bradshaw.

The new series will be produced by 'Gossip Girl' executive producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, who will exec produce along with former 'Sex and the City' writer/co-producer Amy B. Harris, Bushnell and Len Goldstein. Harris will also write the adaptation.

'The Carrie Diaries' opens with Carrie starting her senior year in a small town high school in the 1980s and sees her through to launching her writing career in New York. But don't expect to see Carrie getting into any scrapes with her future BFFs Miranda and Charlotte: A young Samantha Jones will be the only other member of the 'SATC' female quartet to feature.

Neither 'SATC' star Sarah Jessica Parker, nor series creator Darren Star, is attached to the prequel project so far, and former showrunner Michael Patrick King has already shot down in flames speculation that he might get involved.

"My Carrie Bradshaw started at 33, and I took her to 43," said King. "For me, the idea of going backwards and making her less evolved ... is something that I don't even imagine doing."

There's been no word yet on whether 'SATC' costume designer Patricia Field will be onboard the new series, but we'd like, totally love to see her take on small-town America in the '80s. We're thinking ripped acid-washed denim, some huge perms, a healthy dose of 'Material Girl'-era Madonna, and a lot of shoulder pads.

Casting is also up the air at this early stage. Who do you think would be a good fit to play the young Carrie Bradshaw and Samantha Jones?

Check out some suggestions for who can fill Sarah Jessica Parker's Manolo Blahniks below.

Toni Albertson

I would never watch the prequel, EVER. We all became attached to these women and watched them grow, through Samantha's cancer, her relationship with Smith, Carrie and Big, Charlotte finally finding love, and Miranda and Steve. They really screwed the fans over with SATC 2. Took a woman who had survived cancer and finally realized what love is and turned her into a menopause joke. Steve having an affair after all he went through to get Miranda? Ridiculous. Charlotte complaining about her life and whining kids? Never. And Carrie? The worst. She finally has the love of her life and she's telling him to get his feet off the couch. And to make matters worse, they took the girls out of NY. So listen up, producers, writers, SJP, or anyone who might read these comments. We DO NOT want to see Blake Lively and the new cast in a prequel. We are loyal fans who have followed SATC since the beginning and we want to see these women grow into beautiful women in their 40s and 50s. We want to see their love blossom, their problems, their challenges, and through it all, their friendship that remains steadfast. You ruined it for us with SATC 2. You took the characters we love and made them act in a way that was out of character. And now you need to fix it. Wrap it up with a well-written film that we can all laugh at, love with, and remember fondly.

January 30 2012 at 11:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Toni Albertson

January 30 2012 at 11:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wheelzroller

If everyday Women used thier Credit Cards as much to buy overpriced clothing ( especially ugly shoes ) , consumed as much alcohol, and had as many relationships as these characters on the series, women would be Broke Alcoholics with some form of Sexual Disease.

I would think that perhaps younger women would do better to find some other Heroines to Glorify.

September 13 2011 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
llanoka@aol.com

Let the women age gracefully & show us fashions for the 50s + 60s!
Life is about moving forward not backward...

September 13 2011 at 8:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
llanoka@aol.com

We want our women aging as we are doing! This is ridiculous & an insult to the natural 'circle of life' I won't watch it because I am not looking back....how many cancer victims did Samantha empower when she took off that wig & tossed it away??? Can we have some reality & fun? I work too hard & if I want to look at girls I can go look at Legally Blonde. I think that this idea will bomb but the money moguls have the handle so they will do what they want!

September 13 2011 at 8:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Barb

I agree with Paula! We can all age together. As to the remark, women love this crap? It is for us and our serious minds need a break once a week. However, it always come down to the $$$'s in the end.

September 12 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Laura

SJP already did an 80's show..."Square Pegs"...so I am with Mr. King, why would I want to watch Carrie regress as opposed to the popular concept of progressing and evolving. As much as I lived for my Sunday night fix, I believe I can live without watching Madonna wannabes.

September 12 2011 at 4:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
davidalankirk0

Should rename the series SEX AND THE TITTIES

September 12 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

The original cast can't get work doing anything other than this show or they would have moved on after the original show ended. Keyword: ENDED,

September 12 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paula

I agree, lets continue on with the original. Nothing wrong with aging. Do they really think the Sex and the City fans want to watch young girls in high school? I know I dont but would love to see the orignal cast continue on with their lives.

September 12 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paula's comment
Victoria

I agree, stick with the script and the girls should age gracefully...!!

September 14 2011 at 12:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply