April 25, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'America's Got Talent' Crowns Season 6 Winner (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 14th 2011 10:54PM
'America's Got Talent' finaleAfter a two-hour season finale that easily felt like it lasted three or four, 'America's Got Talent' (Wed., 8PM ET on NBC) crowned its Season 6 winner.

Would it be another solo singing act, which seems to have dominated the past several seasons, or would one of the unique dance groups rise to the top (sorry, POPLYFE, I've already ruled you out of contention)?

Before we found out, each of the final four acts got to perform a duet. Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. perhaps surprised the most by switching up the style of song completely with a more uptempo jam with Patti LaBelle.

LeAnn Rimes joined the Silhouettes, by which I mean she sang a song while they recreated some of their fan-favorite images in the background. I hadn't even considered how well their act could work with live music and big name guest stars, but we saw that potential here.

Team iLuminate, on the other hand, struggled to stay true to themselves while performing with Cobra Starship. The problem is that their act works best in pitch black, and they couldn't have that with a band sharing the stage with them. So while we got a behind-the-scenes look at how they put on their visuals, it took away a lot of their magic.

POPLYFE redeemed last night's disastrous performance by taking the stage with Stevie Wonder. They don't stand a chance of winning 'AGT' after last night's Queen-tastrophe, but they still face decent odds of a recording contract, and we think they'd be more than happy to settle for that.

Other vocal guests on the night included Def Leppard, One Republic and last season's runner-up, Jackie Evancho. All of these performances were simply fantastic, while Cirque du Soleil impressed with a bizarre sampling from their show 'Iris.'

But it was the results we sat patiently through all of this for, and it started off as you predicted in our poll. POPLYFE came in fourth, which is about the best they could hope for. Still, fourth is rock solid considering how many acts try out for this show each season.

Your picks for second and third were flipped from what really happened, as Silhouettes edged out Team iLuminate for second. Which means that yes, once again, a male solo singing act has won 'America's Got Talent.' By a healthy 64.3 percent margin, you all agreed with me that this was Murphy's year.

But as much as it's becoming predictable and falling into the same pattern that's plagued 'American Idol' of late -- why do boys keep winning all of these shows with singing? -- it's hard to dispute that there's something genuinely special about Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

Aside from his throwback vocal styling, his story and his humility were absolutely endearing throughout the season. He's a class act and a worthy winner for a talent competition.

Were you satisfied with the results?

gman

The production value on Il Divo’s performance was over-the-top and on par with any concert one would expect to pay big bucks to see. I miss the big variety shows of the past that featured acts with big flashy stages. I think America is getting back to this kind of venue and it’s great. Oh man, I am so grateful for my DISH Network employee Sling adapter because I can’t watch TV at night and I’m so busy I don’t have time at home even but I do have lots of time during conference calls, in lines and when I’m on the phone with my wife. (JK sweetie!)

October 10 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms. G

Outstanding! Landau - congratulations! Best to you and to your family! TEAM I-LUMINATE & Silhouetts were amazing, your talents will bring you success.

September 15 2011 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susisee11

I voted for Landau and the Silhouettes.It was a great season.Maybe some year a dance team will win.I loved the Miami All Stars..why they brought that crazy chicken into their routine..who knows.I missed them after they left.I hope they let them dance next year or Dancing With Stars let them do a routine on their show..

September 15 2011 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kjnvp

I thought that he would win.No one ever made light of his comment a week ago tuesday using the 'N" word on tv.Why di no one pick up on that .Why is it always ok for a black person to say ****** and no one else
can without being lambasted!!!!!

September 15 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kjnvp's comment
Charles

Why would you even care about that? Hmmm..... makes people wonder about Your stance on the N word.

September 15 2011 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
franhartman4

If you had listened carefully - he said "Nic" not the N word - he said something about knocking Nic in the head. Sounds like you were looking for something to bitch about.

September 15 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hey dear

Why people vote for the solo singer? Since later on... nobody go to their shows or buy their music either !

September 15 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

wooo hoooo! America finally got it right! After last year's disappointing loss for Prince Poppycock, and the chicken catcher winning the year before, I didn't think America could pull it off this year. The dance groups were definitely creative and original but the stage belonged to Landau Eugene Murphy Jr! CONGRATULATIONS, LANDAU! Can't wait to see how your career skyrockets!

September 15 2011 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wwkenwayne

He gets paid over 40 years, that is very misleading! hope all goes well where he signs a nice contract in vegas for big bucks, his humility got to me and his talent is old blues eyes.

September 15 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wongtpa

All Murphy needs is some polish and he will be a big hit in Vegas!

September 15 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vic7bella

I think this year America got it right. Landau is very talanted and has great voice. And, as much as I liked Silhouetts and Team Iluminate, I can't see them perform for over an hour. These groups are very talanted, but they would not be able have a solo show. Last year Prince Poppycock should have won- extremely talented, much more deserving than Michael Grimm, who has no big voice or big talant. He is just mediocre bar singer and nothing else.

September 15 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JO ANN

IT WAS GIVEN TO HIM ! TEAM I-LUMINATE SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!! THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY WILL GO SEE HIM HE IS A HASBEEN ALREADY. THEY NEVER GET THE RIGHT WINNER. TEAM I-LUMINATE IS THE FUTURE

September 15 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply