October 22, 2014

'Two and a Half Men' Creator Chuck Lorre, Jon Cryer Speak Out About Charlie Sheen & Ashton Kutcher

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 14th 2011 8:10AM
Chuck LorreAhead of the 'Two and a Half Men' Season 9 premiere next week (Mon., Sept. 19, 9PM ET on CBS), star Jon Cryer has spoken of his fears that Charlie Sheen's downward spiral was going to end in his death, and creator Chuck Lorre has finally broken his silence.

Throughout the bitter public feud between Charlie Sheen and ... well, just about everybody connected to 'Two and a Half Men,' earlier this year, Lorre remained silent.

Now, however, he has opened up to 'TV Guide' magazine about Sheen, Ashton Kutcher and where the show goes from here.

Lorre even admits that initially he didn't think Kutcher was the right guy for the job.

"I was completely convinced that we needed a forty-something co-star who would be a peer to Jon." But, he says, after meeting Kutcher and studying his work, "it was obvious my assumption was wrong.

Earlier this year Sheen and Lorre slung insults at each other with abandon, Lorre using his trademark "vanity cards" to do so. Lorre had earlier called Sheen "a degenerate," and Sheen responded with a whole bunch of slurs. He also insulted his co-star Jon Cryer, calling him a "troll" and a "turncoat."

Cryer refused to discuss Sheen's insults and the huge meltdown that led many to question if he could survive personally or professionally. Now, in an interview with Ellen DeGeneres airing on 'Ellen' later today, Cryer says, "Mostly I was worried that Charlie was going to die. That was the big fear for me."

He adds that while he's "thrilled" Sheen survived, he's still waiting for an apology. "We have not spoken. ... I will accept an apology both public and private. But again, it was in the heat of the moment I imagine when he said ... So I did not put a whole lot of credence in it at the time."

Because of ongoing litigation, Lorre isn't talking about the exact reasons for Sheen's exit, but does say that "there were many times I thought the show would stumble to an ignoble ending."

So, what saved the show from reaching that ignoble ending? Lorre says it was hiring Kutcher and getting him to play a character who's both funny and vulnerable. "I thought if we could capture that right out of the gate we'd be on our way to creating a really interesting, three-dimensional character."

In the upcoming season viewers will see Cryer's character Alan act as a mentor of sorts to Kutcher's miserable, love-lorn billionaire Walden Schmidt. But fans of the "OMG?!" moments in 'Men' needn't worry -- Lorre says it will still push the envelope.

"If, in the past," he says, "you enjoyed thinking, 'I can't believe they just did that raunchy joke,' you will not be disappointed in 'Two and a Half Men 2.0.''

'Two and a Half Men' Season 9 premieres Monday Sept. 19, 9PM ET on CBS

Watch our on-set interview with Cryer, Kutcher
& Angus T. Jones here

Jennifer R. Bresett

I miss charlie I have watched the new show and love Ashton but not on this show! BRING Back CHARLIE SHEEN, He made the show what it is (was) and now all I can say is I don't run home any more to watch it.

November 11 2011 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vetbabes79

CHUCK LORRE THE SHOW SUCKS WITHOUT CHARLIE. ASHTON NOT FUNNY! i HAVE STOPPED WATCHING THE SHOW, cHARLIE WAS THE SHOW. YOU OBVIOSLY DID NOT COM OUT "WINNING!!!!!"

October 23 2011 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathygalietti

The show is off, the timing of some of the actors is obviously off. I did not think it was funny, and I disagree with Mr. Lorre that Ashton Kutchner is the correct person to fill Charlie's shoes. I for one would have loved to see Alec Baldwin come in as Charlie's uncle (his father's brother) who has the same bad habit's as Charlie. This is the family member that Charlie took after. The show would have been very funny that way. Alec has great timing , great facial expressions and a dry sense of humor that would have worked well. And let's hope crazy Rose is holding Charlie in some French Chateau and that the person who died under the train is someone other than Charlie.

September 22 2011 at 4:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tabitha

This show sucks now!!! it used to be my favorite. Ashton was funny on That Seventies Show, but not on Two and a Half Men. His performance was that of a novice, very forced, stiff and very unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seem to be counting on the fact that Ashton's a$$ is going to make the show. Really? I am a female who very much appreciates the male anatomy, but come on. Showing his a$$ twice in the first show? Is this how desperate they have become to try to save the show? The ONLY way is to bring Charlie back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 20 2011 at 12:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
seemysfl

I'm not in Show Biz but after last night performance I kept wondering if these producers/directors know what talent really means! If Kutcher is supposed to attract the same type of laughter and carry the show as Charlie did then "Abandon Ship" brother because that show will be Tanking!

September 20 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aces

the show is now terrible and not funny
at and angus better start looking for a new gig charlie was the show period

September 20 2011 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Kutcher sucked tonight and I hope the show dies. Bring back Charlie dead or alive!

September 19 2011 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
croonermom21

I love charlie sheen, the show will never be the same without him. I love his I could care less about what people think . He made the show, I will watch what show he's on, there is no more two and a half men for me.

September 17 2011 at 10:53 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Eva Marie

Cockroach Lorre and Buttkisser Cryer are out there trying to look sympathetic to the way Charlie Sheen was treated and to warm up viewers to the pitiful new rendition of Two and 1/2 Men. We all know the truth and what really happened. Charlie Sheen made the show #1 for CBS for 8 seasons. Cryer and Ashton will flush it down the toilet in 8 weeks! CBS and Warner Bros will finally realize they were duped by Lorre and drum him out of the biz!!

September 16 2011 at 5:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Phil,Terry,Linds

I will never watch the new show! It will never be the show it was that I so enjoyed. As for Kutcher, never liked him anyway!

September 15 2011 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply