November 26, 2014

ABC Family Renews 'Make It or Break It,' Cancels 'State of Georgia' & Orders 4 Pilots

by Chris Harnick, posted Sep 16th 2011 3:30PM
Make it or Break itUPDATE: The network has canceled 'State of Georgia.'

After canceling 'The Nine Lives of Chloe King,' ABC Family has spared 'Make It Or Break It.' The show will return for a third season along with dramas 'The Lying Game' and 'Switched at Birth.'

On the development front, ABC Family has ordered four pilots: 'Village People,' 'Baby Daddy,' 'Intercept' and Amy Sherman-Palladino's 'Bunheads.'

"We are thrilled about our returning originals, the hugely successful summer and the exciting new pilots that will continue to deliver on our promise to offer our viewers programming that is engaging, optimistic and relatable," Kate Juergens, executive vice president of original programming and development at ABC Family, said in a statement. "Our line-up continues to resonate with our audience and we believe that the shows in development will become strong additions to our slate as well."

'Gilmore Girls' creator Amy Sherman-Palladino is executive producing 'Bunheads,' a one-hour drama about a Las Vegeas showgirl, Michelle, who marries a man on an impulse and moves to his "sleepy coastal town." There, Michelle takes one a role at her mother-in-law's dance school.

"I spent twenty years of my life with my hair in a bun," Sherman-Palladino said in a statement. "I was supposed to be a dancer. My mother was a dancer. Her greatest heartbreak was when I got on 'Roseanne.' So, while writing this will never equal playing 'Rumpelteazer' in a bus and truck tour of 'Cats,' it does let me to tip my hat to a really special time in my life."

The other drama, 'Intercept,' is described as a technology and action driven show about college kids who solve crimes after one of them creates a communication device that intercepts conversations on the West Coast. Ray Wright of 'Pulse' fame is writing and producing.

'Baby Daddy' follows Ben, a twentysomething man whose ex-girlfriend leaves him a baby on his doorstep. He then sets out to raise the baby with the help of his mom, brother, best friend and female friend who has a crush on him. From 'Nine Lives of Chloe King' veteran Dan Berendsen, this sounds a lot like 'Raising Hope.' The other comedy, 'Village People' from Meg DeLoatch of 'Eve' fame, follows a career woman who adopts a baby from a teen mom and then winds up caring for the teen mother as well.

memuddyh

I'd rather watch Nine lives of Chloe King than Make it or break it or even swithced at birth, I really doubt those other new shows will get much ratings

September 18 2011 at 2:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to memuddyh's comment
MelNe

I never had a chance to watch Nine lives of Chloe King and I really hate they pulled it before I did. ABC has pulled several shows I liked and it's really disappointing. I do like Make it or Break it, though I never thought I would until it was on one night. I hardly watched switched at birth or any of the others. Every time I get into a show they cancel it. Why bother with the new ones because they will pull 3 out of the 4.

January 09 2012 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pgatrme

Can't wait to see how Switched moves on. Especially since both girls like Emmit. Should be interesting.

September 17 2011 at 7:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pgatrme

I am so happy Make it is coming back. I enjoy watching it. Can't wait to see is Emily comes back to the Rock and see what happened between the couples. I hope they let Payton have luck this time and not get hurt. Lauren needs to pay for all of her back stabbing and get into more trouble and have to account for it.

September 17 2011 at 7:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mcwhomper

state of georgia was cute i've never watched make it or break it i just hope abc doesn't go the way some of the other big broadcasters with all the stupid reality shows like watching a man catch squirrels is nuts and then theres rosannes nuts are you kidding or what these shows would be okay if i was in a coma and all the stupid talent shows and contest shows ,only reason any one would watch survivor is to see the chicks clad in almost nothing bending over giving nipple shots tv has gone from a nice distraction from reality to some idiots idea of reality

September 17 2011 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheran Schick

get rid of j lo on american idol / how can she judge anyone/ her life is a mess/ she changes guys so much how do we know that she wont do that for the contestants/

September 17 2011 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mt1975

J5Kevin550 Hey Pretty Little Liars is an awesome show, but then again you'd have to at least watch it once to know it, I was behind on the series and had 10 episodes on my tivo and watched all 10 back to back and man I was hooked, I can't get enough of Pretty Little Liars, it's the only show I tune in on ABC Family to watch.

September 17 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
decsunflower

I am so glad Make it Or Break it is coming back, my sister and I love that show!

September 17 2011 at 1:12 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
loryrainbow418

Loved Ninelives and Georgia, they always cancel the good ones. Stiil upset over Hawthorn!!!

September 16 2011 at 11:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
namlebds

I love this show. So good.

September 16 2011 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamie5

I could care less about all these new stupid shows coming up as long as they bring back my beloved GILMORE GIRLS PLEASEEE ABC FAMILY TAKE OFF ALL UR OTHERS SHOWS AND PUT GILMORE GIRLS,FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS,ONE TREE HILL ON ABC FAMILY ALL BACK ON PLEASE!!!

September 16 2011 at 10:45 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply