August 27, 2014

Emmy Insults! Host Jane Lynch Zings Betty White, Katie Holmes & Ricky Gervais

by Michael Hogan, posted Sep 18th 2011 9:00PM
Getting laughs at an awards show without offending the guests is notoriously difficult. Just ask Ricky Gervais! Jane Lynch seems to be erring on the side of being funny at tonight's Emmy broadcast, hurling barbs at everyone from Bristol Palin to Betty White. Here are some of her snarkiest comments so far.

From the opening musical number: "[TV is a world] where dancing with Bristol Palin in a monkey suit is dancing with a star."

"Oh, there's Betty White. She's the reason we start the show at 5 pm."

"Katy Holmes is in the house as well. I'd love to say something funny about her, but I'm afraid of her husband."

"Poor little Ricky Gervais. Someone didn't get enough hugs from mommy and somehow it's Hollywood's fault."

"Welcome back to the Modern Family awards. You know, we decided to throw them into the drama category, just to see what happens. Hollywood."

"Yesterday, my daughter had a tea party with her little friends, and it was so cute. They complained about taxes, called Obama a Communist, and wondered how the Latina kid got in."

"Everyone was asking me if I had a gay agenda for the show. And actually I do. Call Rachel Maddow and find out what time spinning is. Take the pickup in for an oil change - nah, I'll do it myself."

"I had the smallest of aneurysms watching that clip."

"Everyone was asking me if I had a gay agenda for this show. And actually I do. 'Call Rachel Maddow and find out what time spinning is. Take the pickup in for an oil change' - nah, I'll do it myself."

"A lot of people are curious why I'm a lesbian. Ladies and gentlemen, the cast of 'Entourage.'"

"Congratulations to Kate Winslet, who just won an Emmy. She's a wonderful film actress, and there are so many movie stars doing TV now that TV stars have been forced into providing voices for video games. And those very same video games are then turned into movies, starring the very people who put the TV stars out of work in the first place. Hakuna matata, my friends. Circle of life."

Mommerx2

she's a man and a rude one at that!!!!!!

September 20 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mommerx2

she's a man and a rude one at that!!!!!

September 20 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LadyGodiva

I think Jane Lynch is great!!

September 19 2011 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pawsvacationcare

The tea baggers whine about EVERYONE who isn't a dull, white, straight bore who hates everyone who isn't like them and then claims to be a "Christian." Ignorant bigots! And the reason why all independent voters are turned off by them and the RepubliKlan party.

September 19 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to pawsvacationcare's comment
WALTER

You prove the old adage: Ignorance is bliss.

September 19 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

You sound like a bigot to me , and it is not so much you like other races, its more that you hate white people you gay bigot.

September 19 2011 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pawsvacationcare

I loved the line about BrisDull Palin "dancing."

September 19 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pawsvacationcare's comment
Todd

Paws you are a bigot . you are full of hate , but to you it is not hate unless the person is black,gay ,etc ,so shut your hole.

September 19 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richman99

Oh goodie, just anohter fruit trying to push her Liberal ass agenda on the rest of society!!

How disgusting!!

September 19 2011 at 1:41 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
superbombastik

Some people ask why straight people can't stand gay entertainers: Ladies and gentlemen, Jane Lynch (and Rachel Maddow, Rosie Odonell, and Ellen DeGeneres)

September 19 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
superbombastik

OH NEAT-O, everyone can breathe deeply and smile since the host reverted back to the typical, safe form of rib jabbing that made us all so bored that we stopped watching these things. Face it, Gervais set a standard that caused most people to watch, just to see if the next host could live up to it. Answer: NOT.

September 19 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
barry4827

she did a good job(: but she needs to talk to Chralie to get her head right

September 19 2011 at 1:02 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
abookaday

I thought she did an excellent job!

September 19 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply