April 24, 2014

Kate Winslet 'Was Thrilled' With Guy Pearce's Racy Emmy Speech

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 19th 2011 6:00AM
Kate Winslet and Guy PearceLast night 'Mildred Pierce' stars Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce both took home Emmys for their work on the HBO drama, and Pearce's raunchy acceptance speech caused a few raised eyebrows and dropped jaws.

Accepting his award from David Boreanaz and Anna Torv, Pearce joked that "I got to have sex with Kate Winslet many, many times."

As Winslet gave him two thumbs up from the audience he paid tribute to her, saying "I share this [award] with you. Thank you for letting me insert myself into your world of Mildred."

To gales of laughter from the audience he went on to thank his wife -- also named Kate -- "who had to listen to me talk about that every day."

Backstage, Winslet told reporters she "was thrilled," not offended, by Pearce's speech.

"I've had a crush on Guy Pearce since I was 11 years old, so just to stand in the same room as him was thrilling for me and to hear him say that was even more of a buzz."

Winslet was obviously a 'Neighbours' fan in her youth. For many Brits Pearce will always be known as "Mike from 'Neighbours,'" after he became famous in the late '80s playing troubled teen Mike Young on the Australian daily soap.

When asked backstage what his wife made of his speech, Pearce said "I'm not sure, I haven't asked her. She probably thought it was funny. We'll see."

He told AOL TV earlier this year that he'd worked hard to get in shape for the love scenes in 'Mildred Pierce,' which he described as "pretty naughty." Last night he said "They're nerve-wracking to do, but [Kate] made them fun."

Winslet's no stranger to dishing on her co-stars' talents in love scenes, and Pearce joked about whether she thinks he's a better kisser than Leonardo DiCaprio. "I keep asking her, but she refuses to tell me. ... So there is obviously some bad news there. She might tell me later if I get her drunk enough."

Check out more video highlights of the Emmys:

Flerp

Hate tv, hate the emmy's, hate hollywood, hate actors, alright, ready to comment.

September 21 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zz

If you've seen the miniseries, which was fantastic (and I say that as a fan of the Joan Crawford movie) you'd know that it was only appropriate to make reference to the ultra steamy sex scenes, which were tastefully done and absolutely necessary to the plot and character development. I thought his witty acceptance speech was the highlight of the Emmys!

September 21 2011 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjmc3

These people are such trash. I guess this is what passes for witty sophisticated banter these days, and the audience just laps it up. Sad. And, Kate Winslet (and for that matter, Evan Rachel Wood also, and so many others on HBO), do you not have enough money and fame that you have to let yourself be demeaned in this way for the gratification and profit of others?

September 20 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pjmc3

These people are such trash. This is what passes for witty, sophisticated banter these days, I guess. And the audience just laps it up mindlessly. Sad . . .

September 20 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
abcstarfox 2013

Apparently she is too stupid to know he insulted her. .
The guy is a no class moron wit a giant ego. .

September 20 2011 at 3:22 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
shareee

Mildred pierce remake was Horrible she sure was no Joan crawford ! It needed a american actress and they changed the ending Can we ever see americans on tv or movies we sure can't get jobs in uk or aust. the unions hire thereown where is sag even american idol with those brits enough already

September 20 2011 at 3:22 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shareee's comment
zz

Actually, the Todd Haynes miniseries was based on the original book. It was the Crawford version that was altered. Given that EVERY main actor or actress in the miniseries was nominated for an Emmy, I think the casting and directing was top notch. And what about Mare Wittingham, Evan Rachel Wood, and all the other Americans? Kate was brilliant as Mildred--she was perfect for that part. When it comes to art, let's not be politically correct about who is cast. I'd always rather have the best people for the roles. After all, Scarlett O'Hara was a Brit and Vivien Leigh made movie history.

September 21 2011 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
partypoisonmcr

She is a great actress, why always have raunchy sex in her movies?

September 20 2011 at 1:31 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
markhelfgott

This belongs in the who gives a s-it pile.

September 20 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
parodex

donaldjdfors, I do have to agree with you. There's a time and palce for everything and that just wasn't a good time or place. While other may think it was funny, something liek should only be shared with people are you close to, not people you've never seen and never will like the milliuons watching. And selfenchanted, it's not about lighting up ok. If one need to explain that to you then there is no need, you wouldn't understand anyway.

September 19 2011 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donaldjdfors

Did people REALLY think these lewd comments were funny? Our society is even sicker that I thought.

September 19 2011 at 10:10 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply