October 2, 2014

Charlie Sheen Roast Ratings Were Comedy Central Record

by Alex Moaba, posted Sep 20th 2011 5:15PM
Somehow, Charlie Sheen is still winning -- in the TV ratings game, anyway.

Comedy Central's Roast of Sheen was the highest rated roast in the network's history, as 6.4 million viewers tuned in to watch Sheen skewered. Including re-airs, the total audience reached 10 million. It was the second-highest rated telecast in Comedy Central history.

Not only was the Sheen roast a ratings success on TV screens, but chatter about the event also dominated social media. According to trendrr.tv, the Roast garnered 450,000 social mentions, which dwarfed several other prime-time Fall TV premieres, including 'Dancing With the Stars' and 'Two and Half Men.'

In terms of laughs, the roast didn't disappoint. Comedians and celebrities from Jeffrey Ross to Mike Tyson to Roastmaster Seth MacFarlane gave Sheen their best shots, making fun of his drug history, public breakdown and affinity for prostitutes.

The roast aired an hour after Sheen's 'Two and Half Men' character Charlie Harper was put to rest, in what was an even bigger ratings coup for CBS. 28.7 million viewers watched 'Men' to see how Chuck Lorre would kill off Sheen's character and introduce Ashton Kutcher's.

Only time will tell whether the Roast and Harper's funeral prove to be the final chapter in the Sheen saga, or a jump-start to the next act of his career.

Ima

Didn't watch the roast of Charlie, did'nt care to. I enjoyed watching him on 2 and a half men. I started watching it because my husband liked it. I fell for the show because of Charlie. No need to watch it now. These stars personal life is their business. We all have bad days so just let these people be human for a change. None of us are perfect ok.

September 21 2011 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marymary121

The roast was top notch. Very funny and Charlie handled it with class and good cheer.
On the other hand, I agree, 2 1/2 men sucked. The supposed funeral attendees were tacky and their lines were filled with hate and bile straight from the mind of Chuck Lorre and his remarks about being so worried that their friend would die made me want to vomit. He is a little man who couldn't take what he put out himself. It was fine for him to make his dig about Carlos Estevez yet go all to pieces when his own true name was used.
Makes one wonder why the network would agree to throw a star like Charlie Sheen under the bus to satisfy the whim of a temper tantrum thrower (Chuck Lorre) . It has to have cost them mightily.
The writing for 2 1/2 men has been excellent up until now but I can't believe the first half of the show was written by the usual writers. Those were Chuck Lorres feelings. The second half of the show seemed to have been written by the usual writers.
I won't watch it again.

September 21 2011 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolores

Sorry I missed the roast Charlie...did watch how they put you to rest on 2 1/2 men. Won't watch that show again.
Awful.

September 21 2011 at 2:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rlth007

I thought the Roast was great, but I love shock humor. Especially when it was directed toward a guy like Charlie Sheen. Granted, I don't condone screaming at hooker until they hide in the closet, or any of his domestic disputes, but it sure is entertaining. Lets face it, if everyone were "sane", life would be awfully boring. I didn't think 2.5 men was all that bad either.

September 21 2011 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maryann

Watched 2 1/2 men and was very disappointed. Didn't laugh one time. AK didn't need to appear naked - why would he humiliate himself like that. Just watched to see what happened to Charlie and see if the show would be worth seeing again. Not wasting my time. Did watch the Roast of Charlie and he was Great!! Just the way he reacted to the jokes, and how he responded later, was worth it all. Too bad he didn't have better people roasting him. Would have loved to see his father there. Would love to see Charlie in another comedy series opposite 2 1/2 men time slot. You Go Charlie!!!

September 21 2011 at 1:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jwtexas1

Why in the heck won't AOL go back to this type of comment venue rating (Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down) instead of the stupid system used by Huffington Post? HP it's either 'Favorite" or "Report Abuse" OR we can award comments with kindergarten stickers! And who really cares whether someone is a Super HuffPost User or not -- except perhaps the Super Users!

Everyone in agreement needs to send feedback to AOL, and here's the link just to make it easier!

September 21 2011 at 1:52 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

My doubts for the new season of TAAHM were proven correct last nite. What a snorefest - funniest part (to me) was when Dharma & Greg showed up? I'll give them one or two more episodes but I think they've lost a loyal fan. And the roast - ! None of the jokes directed at Sheen were funny, altho there were many good ones about fellow roasters. Not at all what I expected - naive me, having tuned out the pre-roast show after only 5 minutes. All in all it was a very unfunny evening - I'm sure glad I dvr'd these two and didn't waste primetime viewing on them.

September 21 2011 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cakes38

Amazing... that there are so many people that think Charlie Sheen is solely responsible for our "country being messed up" and our "morals being in the toilet." I guess that takes the responsibility off the parents in this country to raise their children with manners and morals. Hell, let's just blame the state of the world on Charlie.

September 21 2011 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shorelinin2@aol,

because he rocks thats why it was #1 ,,,,,oh yeah !!!

September 21 2011 at 1:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
barryaclarke

Who thinks this man is a roll model and would want their children to follow in his footsteps? Could be a reason why our country morals are in the toilet............

September 21 2011 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to barryaclarke's comment
calhounrules

Who ever said he was a role model. You be a role model for your kids, Its not celebrities jobs to teach them life lessons.

September 21 2011 at 12:57 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
pnut166

who said they wanted their children to follow in his footsteps ?!?

September 21 2011 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply