August 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Chaz Bono Surprises and Impresses Judges on the 'DWTS' Premiere (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 20th 2011 12:08AM
Lacey Schwimmer & Chaz Bono, 'Dancing With the Stars''Dancing With the Stars' (Mon., 8PM ET on ABC) producers knew that a lot of people were going to be curious to see how their first transgender contestant fared on the season premiere, so they cleverly saved Chaz Bono and professional partner Lacey Schwimmer for last.

When they finally came out, Bono proved he was a competitor with sheer likability and a spark of potential. While he's nowhere near the best dancer out there, he was graceful on his feet, he was there for his partner, and he showed that he has the drive and passion to improve.

People love to root for someone who shows growth throughout the season, and Bono definitely has room for that. According to Carrie Ann Inaba, though, one area Bono already impressed in was footwork. "It was sharp. It was precise," she said. "You've got so much joy. You light up this room!"

Shelia

I missed the show Tuesday night. I love the show and would love it if I could catch it on the Net.
Is there a place to watch it on the net when I miss it? Some people can't live without judgeing
others. Keep up the good work Cha

September 27 2011 at 5:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nos2001

excuse me-----what is the name of the show? dancing with the STARS---she/he is star????

September 23 2011 at 7:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cmfrtblebbw

Like I always say...be careful what you name your kids.

September 23 2011 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
santasline

reminds me of jackie gleason's dancing

September 23 2011 at 3:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hello muffin man

Hey, Jennifer, the only "freak" is YOU! Would you please explain to me (and I'd love to see how, exactly,
you'd do this) that someone who realized they were born into the wrong gender, then set an example
for others who felt the same PAIN by having sexual reassignment is a "freak????" It's no different than
someone who is born with a physical deformity - they took the GOD-given progress of today's
surgeons and CORRECTED the mistake of mother-nature. I'm so glad GOD has made you His
spokesperson and assigned YOU Judge in these matters.

September 22 2011 at 10:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Cristallini's

Chaz great job!!! you are the reason I will start watching again. Never did I affter that ahole John whatshisname had a meltdown cause Kelly Monaco blew him away!!!

September 22 2011 at 10:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nulifemeds

I BECAME SICK...ONE LESS SHOW TO WATCH

September 22 2011 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryant

"Don't ask, don't tell".

September 22 2011 at 7:10 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bryant's comment
my4salebox

You're aging out of the world.

September 22 2011 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chaz95th

weird, I remember seeing her as Chasity, weird.

September 22 2011 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I didn't have a chance to see the show, but LOVED this clip. Good for Chaz! As far as the comment someone made about this being too much "pushing the envelope" for prime time television, I've explained to my 7 yr old daughter, in age appropriate terms, Chaz's surgery and why he felt it was needed. She understands, and life goes on. Enough was said.

September 22 2011 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply