November 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Max Finds Out Caroline Is a Riches to Rags Story on '2 Broke Girls' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 20th 2011 3:15AM
'2 Broke Girls' - 'Pilot'At the heart of '2 Broke Girls' (Mon., 9:30PM ET on CBS) is this 'Odd Couple' relationship that springs up between seasoned and ultra-jaded waitress Max and Caroline, the trust fund baby who finds herself suddenly broke and out on her own.

To the writers' credit, they don't write Caroline as spoiled or self-entitled. She may be a little clueless as to how the real world worlds, but she shows drive and commitment, which is rare in the pampered rich girl persona.

The girls' first meeting tried to establish a good cadence between them, as Max discovers that Caroline's father "ripped off the entire city," and just how rich Caroline was. But the connection between the two never really comes together this episode.

There's just something about Beth Behr's performance as Caroline that seems like she's failing to fully connect with the person underneath the character archetype. As I mentioned before, it looks like the writers are giving her that depth; she just needs to find it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Kat Dennings is absolutely believable as very grounded and pessimistic Max. I can see the sense of hope and optimism Max is going to bring into her life with this whole bakery idea, and the running tally at the end of the episode is cute, but I need to believe that these two share some kind of connection before I'll buy into them sharing a dream.

Check out Mo Ryan's take on '2 Broke Girls' -- as well as fellow female-lead comedies 'Whitney' and 'New Girl' -- here.

vraxos32

I like this show 2 broke girls. DO NOT PULL IT OFF THE AIR. Its going to do well!

October 01 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lpalladinoj

I thought it was cute, I will watch it, give the girls a chance!

September 20 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdavis0805

I thought it was pretty funny for a first show. Lots of one liners, but they were funny. And the horse at the end - is that going to be a permanent fixture I wonder?

September 20 2011 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie Egan

A little clunky and obvious but cute so I'll give it a couple more episodes. Premiere episodes are trying so hard to get your attention it's hard to tell where the show is actually going to settle sometimes.

September 20 2011 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A3

I thought there were too many one liners and there should have been a touch more relation development. Perhaps the one-liners are to grab the new audience and they can scale back later.

September 20 2011 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Weaver

There were parts of the show that were really funny. I don't know if I'll be watching again next week though since it's up against DWTS and The Sing-Off. I did crack up at the beginning part of the show before Caroline, and I also cracked up when Max got tased. So, I am hoping the best for this show.

September 20 2011 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply