October 21, 2014

Bill Clinton Says He Turned Down 'Dancing With the Stars' (VIDEO)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 21st 2011 7:15AM
Rachael Ray and Bill ClintonAfter being criticized for including some frankly bland reality stars and celebrity offspring as contestants, 'Dancing With the Stars' producers have long been rumored to be pursuing A-listers.

And who's more A-list than the former leader of the free world? Incredible as it may seem, Bill Clinton says that 'DWTS' did once offer him a spot on the show.

When a member of the audience on 'The Rachael Ray Show' asked Clinton if he'd ever appear on 'DWTS' and, if so, what would his best dance moves be, he laughed and said "Well, that's really interesting ..."

Clinton then told an astonished host and studio audience that "They contacted me once about this and I told them I didn't have the time to train for it. You know, you have to train, you really work at it. So I had to pass."

So, it was just a scheduling issue that prevented the keen saxophonist and freshly minted vegan from appearing on the show?! If you thought Bristol Palin was a polarizing contestant, just think what effect Clinton would have had.

He said that his 92-year-old mother-in-law -- an avid 'DWTS' fan -- was disappointed that he didn't take up the offer. He said she "watches it religiously and ... she thinks I would be really cool if I made it, but I had to pass."

When Ray asked what his best dance would be on 'DWTS,' Clinton said: "I would like to master the Tango. ... That's what I would love to do."

As the crowd applauded he then gave a glimpse into life chez Clintons: "Just last night Hillary said to me, 'You know, when I'm not Secretary of State any more, we should go take dancing lessons.' ... So we'll start with the Tango!"

Clinton's not the only politician to have been approached by 'DWTS.' Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay was a contestant on Season 9 but was forced to pull out early on due to injury.

Back in February Tea Party candidate Christine O'Donnell announced that she was pondering a run on this season of 'DWTS.' She wrote on her Facebook page that "I just got the Official 'Ask' from Dancing With The Stars !! Although I am utterly flattered, my initial thought was to decline ... Still undecided. Book comes first."

Thanks to E! Online for the video clip.

texrogers1

My opinion changed after he give the cigar to Arafat. Now he is one of my heros. LOL

September 21 2011 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to texrogers1's comment
ken herman

well one thing for sure he knew where to stick his cigar.

September 21 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ivoteabo

I voted for Bill Clinton twice , and think he was a pretty good president then but looking back can see he was too busy with his cigar to do much good for the country! Like I said I voted for him but was glad when he walked out for the last time and dont want him or Hillary in the WH again !

September 21 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bmitche

It is a wise man who know his limitations !!

September 21 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
undaunted8

Bill Clinton is my hero.....I hope Hillary gets into the White House someday........can you imagine the damage he'll do to the local female population?? The first hubby with nothing to do but chase the ladies all day long.....GOLD!!!

September 21 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
myenta9345

OH COME ON THE GUY IS GREAT,AND WE WERE GREAT WITH HIM AS OUR LEADER,LIKE AMERICANS WERE HAPPY

September 21 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Amiee/Patrick

And WHY would Bill Clinton, a president disgraced by having lewd sex acts perfomed on him under a desk, be considered an "A" lister? Really? I'm guessing ole Bill would be as pathetic on the show as he is now to listen to. He is a HAS BEEN.

September 21 2011 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
duey35

Clinton addmited to smoking the cigar after Monika.

September 21 2011 at 12:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to duey35's comment
troopabn

"Oh", I thought Monika was the name of the cigar? Don't know why she didn't get her name on one? Would have been better than handbags!

September 21 2011 at 12:18 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Ms Hunter

I think Clinton is the coolest guy in Washington

September 21 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
ziegler21wp

This is a sily non-story. Of course, the former President of the United States would say no.

September 21 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

Why is this guy still around? He disgraced his Presidency and the White House. Please understand that he had an affair with a TWENTY YEAR OLD GIRL!! For a man his age at that time, it was sick - very sick. Real mature act on his part. Clinton should do the world a favor and step away from the limelight.

September 21 2011 at 11:55 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Lynn's comment
rltballer

thanks for your opinion, but it is just that, an opinion. i am a 25 yo guy, dating a 50 yo woman. so you can keep your hate filled comments to yourself.

September 21 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to rltballer's comment
Mike

Lynn:

When former president Clinton was in office the economy and jobs were great.He handeled the country very well. So I guess a mental midget like yourself just wants to find something to pick on.

September 21 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply