October 25, 2014

Simon Cowell Talks About Axing Cheryl Cole as 'The X Factor' Judge

by Catherine Lawson, posted Sep 21st 2011 10:15AM
Simon Cowell, Nicole Scherzinger, 'Piers Morgan Tonight'The excitement surrounding Simon Cowell's new reality talent show 'The X Factor' is reaching fever pitch ahead of tonight's premiere.

Over the summer there was much drama off-screen as judge Cheryl Cole was booted from the panel after auditions had got underway and was replaced by the show's original co-host, Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger.

Cowell and Scherzinger were guests on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' and he talked candidly about the reasons for Cole's departure: "I was talking to someone about this at the screening the other night and they put it very well -- she looked a bit bewildered."

Cowell -- who says he feels bad about the very public way in which Cole was fired -- added that "I took the view, along with a few other people, that she would have been more comfortable back in the UK."

He also opened up about his hopes for 'The X Factor' and whether it will take down 'American Idol.'

Saying that he takes "full responsibility" for what went down with Cole, Cowell said that if she had accepted his offer of her old job back on the U.K. version of 'The X Factor,' then "nobody would be feeling bad right now, because they're both big shows and hopefully this one will be as big as the U.K. show."

Scherzinger, who has remained diplomatically silent about the affair, refused to be drawn on the matter. She told Morgan that, "Actually, the judges and the host, the schedule is gruelling and we're in two different areas so I didn't actually get to work with [Cole] that much."

She added, "for me it was an honor, I'm not going to lie, I cried when Simon told me because I felt like no matter where he had me on the show, I was going to be of service and do the best I could."

When asked if he wanted 'The X Factor' to take down his former reality TV juggernaut, 'American Idol,' Cowell said "well, of course! ... I mean, you don't do anything for the silver or bronze medal, do you?"

Pointing to the lack of age limit on 'The X Factor,' Cowell promised that viewers will see "a very different type of contestant." He also said that even if the show fails, he'll still be proud of it.

For more on 'The X Factor,' check out the video and gallery below!

'The X Factor' launches tonight, Wed. Sept. 21, at 8PM ET on Fox.

oralalex

Cheryl Cole was So Much better that Nicole Scherzinger. This Nicole reminds me of Theat Guligari Whatever her name was on Idol. I quit watching it and I'm Not gooing to watch X Factor! This is a Travesty! Btw what has Happened to Simon Cowell or whoever is doing his Make Up Needs to be Fired!

September 23 2011 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mishiho

I will probably watch the show at least once as I did like watching Cowells dry attempt at humor and paula was an attractive "good cop," but there is something that turns me off. Maybe it is the thought of having to watch the wide ranging age turn downs and the embarrassment that has to go along with it.

September 21 2011 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
devinmcmusters

Paula!

September 21 2011 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

her beauty will add to the show

September 21 2011 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justice

No age limits? Puhleeze-if I have to suffer listening to a parade of screaming prepubescent kids as they jump all over the stage while everyone tells them how "cute" they are, I will VOMIT, and I'm done with the show!

September 21 2011 at 2:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lilly

JEMTEKU RIGHT ON BUDDY. I LIKE SIMON.

September 21 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snseely

Simon looks like he's had a facelift! Really looked freaky last night on Piers Morgan's show! Whoa!

September 21 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I am looking forward to the new show, but am a bit skeptical because with no age limits and other restrictions dropped, what will keep it from being a "free for all", a chaotic mess? I'm sure they have a plan, but can't imagine how they will weed out the crap that comes thru.

September 21 2011 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actionwriter

Chubbs Simon's body is paying for his fancy living. He is hyper water reten from wrong foods, He is letting his skin go to the dumper because of tons of make-up and improper cleansing. Plus, he obviously is not doing ANY aerobics--just eating and drinking and? the guy will be burned out in another six months and what will we lose? Nada---the guy is an arrogant, no-talant zero that has connections---like Dave Letterman---which is the only reason their mug is stuck in front of our screens every time we want to wqatch something good on TV. I ALSO think he is the one that keeps putting these "I made megabucks on my penny auction" scammys in here LOL. No, I really DON'T care for him at all.

September 21 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
choicef

i think he is a talentless pencil-neck twit and would love the opportunity to kick his skinny loudmouth punk ass

September 21 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply