July 26, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Benson Gets News That Elliot Has Retired on 'Law & Order: SVU' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 22nd 2011 2:00AM
'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' 13th season premiereThe tides of change are sweeping in on the thirteenth season premiere of 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' (Wed., 10PM ET on NBC). After twelve seasons on the top-rated show, Christopher Meloni won't be a part of the show after contract negotiations failed, while Mariska Hargitay is reducing her workload.

In the season premiere, we learned that Det. Stabler has put in his retirement papers. And since Meloni wasn't available to be in the show, Det. Benson had to learn this second-hand. While publicly she appeared to take it pretty well, she had a breakdown in private.

Now it's going to be the show's task to reinvigorate the show with a different energy and some new faces without the face of one of its biggest stars. Why does that sound familiar?

What did you think of the new 'SVU'?

s...writes

Benson, stabler, and the other regulars on the show should not change :( Especially those two as they worked together awesome.

The show had us used to a certain set of characters and the way they were... whole dynamic different now. Maybe I will just buy the old episodes instead of watching this "new" show. :(

April 01 2012 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerry

I have all the season tapes have to tell u that negoiators r so wrong......stabler is the show with benson. I do not watch it anymore do not like it..............stabler should get his own show and get benson to join then it would be complete. SVU is going down bad decision.

March 30 2012 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

Please get Stabler back.

January 31 2012 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

I want Elliott Back pleased.

January 31 2012 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D.T.

D.T. Stayed up many a nite watching suv,but they will be canceling it because it's lost it's energy without the interaction between benson and stabler !

December 15 2011 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jewels74

I am so PISSED!!!!!!! that my favorite actor, Stabler will no longer be on the show. I mean don't get me wrong I love you, Olivia but dang why did they get rid of Stabler. It's just not the same anymore. I hope they didn't hire him back b/c he asked for a raise. I would be upset if that's the reason. He totally deserves a raise!!!!! I've been a fan for, I don't know.........since forever. These new actor/actress that they brought in, it's just not the same. I try & watch the new episodes but just can't, so pissed!!!!!!! NO ONE CAN'T REPLACE MY MAN, STABLER!!!!! I was so looking forward for the new episode & I know I'm totally late commenting but I was waiting & hoping Stabler would come back, I keep watching Re-Runs until his return but I don't see it happening. I don't think I'll be watching the show anymore. I'm sure thousands of others feel the same way I feel if their a fan of the show & a fan for Stabler. By the way, I never comment on anything, but I had to research the show to find out what happened to my favorite actor Stabler to see why he's not on the show anymore & what needs to be done to bring him back @Praying for him to come back to the show. I hope that the directors reads our comments & Chris Meloni because he is totally missed, well at least me :D If he's not coming back to the show I wonder what he's gonna be in next b/c I will follow him not Law & Order SVU. HUGE LET DOWN, LAW & ORDER, SO MAD AT YOU FOR LETTING HIM GO!!!!! I know it probably sounds like I'm some crazy fan, but seriously I'm not that type of person. But I just wanted to voice my opinion on how bad this has affected one of your viewers. I just really love Stabler

November 22 2011 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seecamelsee

Chris MELONI was too important to the show to leave and be easily replaced.
Much as I like Mariska, I won't be watching many of the shows anymore.

November 20 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancye

i don't think i will watch the show without him. they were a team. as much as i love her, i don't think she can carry the show on her own. bad, bad move.

October 16 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tappelle

How can you split up this fantastic team? What a mistake!!! Where has Chris gone?

October 03 2011 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jag194701

I think he will be missed by all. His character was part of the show, him and the regulars. Why-why?
He was exactlent in his role and no one can and will ever replace him. I think the show will suffer from this, and maybe to the point the show will get low ratings and then poof the show is no more. Big mistake to let this actor go!
Law and Order watcher for years;;;;;;;

September 28 2011 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply