July 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Dr. Phil Diagnoses Taylor Armstrong With a 'Damaged Personal Truth' (VIDEO)

by Stephanie Opella, posted Sep 22nd 2011 7:20PM
Taylor Armstrong has dealt with an immense amount of trauma in her life. Her deceased ex-husband Russell, who committed suicide in July, was physically abusing her when they were married. Searching for answers about how to move forward, she sought help from 'Dr. Phil' (weekdays, syndicated on CBS).

Armstrong, a cast member on 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,' detailed her painful personal history of abuse and shame. She told Dr. Phil how she grew up in an abusive household without a father, and changed her name repeatedly, at one point morphing from Shana Taylor to Taylor Ford because, "I'm a big fan of Tom Ford, he's a designer. Tom Ford, Taylor Ford. It's similar."

Dr. Phil diagnosed Armstrong with what he called "a damaged personal truth." Explaining the condition, he said, "if we think we're damaged, ... then that's exactly what you'll generate in your life. You will not create security in your life for you or your daughter." Hopefully she can move past the cycle of abuse in the next chapter of her life.

ggreenapplesg

Dr phil really? No narcissistic personality disorder?,no gold digging be-utch syndrome? Omfg wth! She is a self-pitying spoilt brat. She "has it all" but "still wants more!" Waaaat i know dr. Phil isnt this thick he's just playing along because taylor is the flavour of the month. He kbows the truth dr phil know everything! Taylor u want billionaire husband? U want ferrari, big mansion a house in the hills? Then work for your dreams and goals.! If u wanna be rich then go to college and get a job, but nono. no u want everyone to give it to u why? Becuz your lik totally bomb-diggity effing fabulous? Peleez no season three for u b!tch put that in you pipe and smoke that !

November 16 2011 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty Stewart

I thought that the charity that Taylor works so hard for and had beneifits for to raise money for was ABUSE., and she said several times at her benefits that she was never abused. I don't beleive anything she says. I think she was just after money.

November 10 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

She's coming out of the wood work now since her husband committed suide claiming he abused her. He can't defend himself. Excuse me but didn't she just suffer a major loss and "trout" lips is on all of these shows claiming her abuse and lack of self esteem. I feel sorry for her husband's family right now as I'm sure they are properly grieving his loss, unlike this idiot. She's making it all about her right now.

September 23 2011 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
switzarch

Where is this fellow 'certified'? Has that ever been confirmed; is he just a creation of Television?

September 23 2011 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patck7gw

Can we be certain she really was abused by her husband, this man was mild as Mr. Peepers (showing my age)... I believe there is some evidence pointing to the fact that she had abuse in her klife...but with him? I do believe at one time she was, because she paints herself so much as a victim and has done this on the show from the get go. She is a fiesty lady. She seemed to be the one who loses control and pretty violent at times and sort ofjust took your breath away when she did so on the show. No offense to Taylor but she needs serious therapy. Also as far as her husband is concerned, I do not believe he did not kill himself, given the death of his friend and partner, and the fact his daughter and Taylor would find him. He has plans for lunch with her...? He adored his little girl why would he subject her to such a scene....? .He had some enemies I'm sure, especially given the fact he lost their money.... Who knows what really happened but I hope this case is reopened and investigated throughly. But it wasn't suicide. When you cross the wrong people ...... bad news.

September 23 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Was her husband still hanging from the rafters when she started her media tour? Could she have waited maybe a week or so before we all had to hear how awful this guy was? There is nothing people like this woman,with her plastic face and plastic personality, and all the others on the ridiculous show she is associated with, won't do to receive media attention. The problem is that people keep watching, paying attention and enabling crap like The Real Housewives and The Kardashian show, etc. to thrive and this is all we get, all the time. When my children ask who these people are and why they are always on TV, my answer will be because there are many stupid people who pay attention to them for some reason.

September 23 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherrie

Taylor could benefit from seeing a real Psychiatrist...perferably a woman, that can help her. I don't Dr. Phil counsels women very well...sorry. Taylor needs an understanding and caring therapist so she and her daughter can move on. Good luck & best wishes, Taylor. You deserve a good and happy life.

September 23 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Did ya see her lips? She looks like a fish

September 23 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Richard's comment
larry

I'll raise you to---------------her lips look like a "toilet plunger"

September 23 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chdblwinnr

Last I knew "Dr. Phil" didn't hold a license to practice in ANY state in the U.S. And this diagnosis of "personal damaged truth" isn't a diagnosis. How do they let this clown do what he does.

September 23 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rae Turner

I dont think there is such a siagnoses as a personal damaged truth. look it up in DSM... it does not exist
I think is tv show is giving him the impression that he can make up or say whatever he pleases.

September 23 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply